Unable to install Tisean

Sai Sravanthi

Hi,

I am trying to install Tisean to conduct PCA on my dataset.
I am unable to instal tisean in Octave. Iam getting the following error.
Please help.

>> pkg install tisean-0.2.3.tar.gz
configure: error: in `/tmp/oct-P4jiNI/tisean-0.2.3/src':
configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether we are cross compiling...
pkg: error running the configure script for tisean.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 78 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

Sravanthi Kurri

Re: Unable to install Tisean

Oliver Heimlich
On 04.08.2018 02:23, Sai Sravanthi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Tisean to conduct PCA on my dataset.
> I am unable to instal tisean in Octave. Iam getting the following error.
> Please help.
>
>>> pkg install tisean-0.2.3.tar.gz
> configure: error: in `/tmp/oct-P4jiNI/tisean-0.2.3/src':
> configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
Hi,

it looks like you are running Octave on Windows. The tisean package is
part of the official Octave for Windows installer which you can get from

  https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/#install

It should be possible for you to simply load and then use the tisean
package:

>> pkg load tisean
>> help pca
'pca' is a function from the file …/tisean-0.2.3/pca.m

 -- Function File: EIGVAL = pca (S)
 -- Function File: [EIGVAL, EIGVEC] = pca (S)
 -- Function File: [EIGVAL, EIGVEC, TS] = pca (S)
 -- Function File: [...] = pca (S, PARAMNAME, PARAMVALUE, ...)

     Performs a global principal component analysis (PCA). It gives the
     eigenvalues of the covariance matrix and depending on the flag W
     settings the eigenvectors, projections of the input time series.

Oliver

Re: Unable to install Tisean

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi,

If you only want PCA you do not need tisean at all.
If X is your dataset (rows: samples, cols= variables)

X_ = X - mean (X); # center variables
[U S V] = svd (X_, 1);
PCA_basis = V; # columns are your PCA vectors
P = S * U.';  # These are the scores, such that X_ = V * P
lambda = diag (S).^2 / ( size(X,1) - 1); # Eigenvalues of the sample
covaraince matrix
cumvar = cumsum (lambda) / sum (lambda); # explained variance as
function of number of components

Re: Unable to install Tisean

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Please do not send private messages. Keep the discussion in the mailing list.
I am not your personal consultant. Only if you keep it in the mialing
list I might be able to help.

Regards,