Unable to set vim as default editor in octave 4.0/4.2.1

Unable to set vim as default editor in octave 4.0/4.2.1

theor
I'm trying to set Vim as my editor by setting a .octaverc file. However, I haven't been able to change the behavior of Octave. I've written my .octaverc file as suggested in the wiki (https://wiki.octave.org/Vim) in a few different ways, such as

    #.octaverc
    edit mode async
    EDITOR("xfce4-terminal -e 'vim %s'")

where I've tried xterm instead of xfce4-terminal and gvim instead of vim. The following .octaverc file has been attempted.

    #.octaverc
    edit mode sync
    edit home .
    EDITOR('vim > /dev/tty 2>&1 < /dev/tty %s')

And I've tried gvim instead of vim.

I can verify that the script actually ran at startup since EDITOR returns the inputted string. However, when I try to edit a file via e.g. the command

    >> edit temp.m

the normal editor opens up in the editor tab. It's no different than if I had a blank .octaverc file. I'm not sure what else to try, I started on octave 4.0 and updated octave to 4.2.1 but the problem persists. I'm on xubuntu (ubuntu 16.04) using vim 7.4.

Thanks for reading,
Theor

Re: Unable to set vim as default editor in octave 4.0/4.2.1

Doug Stewart-4

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:19 PM, theor <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to set Vim as my editor by setting a .octaverc file. However, I haven't been able to change the behavior of Octave. I've written my .octaverc file as suggested in the wiki (https://wiki.octave.org/Vim) in a few different ways, such as

    #.octaverc
    edit mode async
    EDITOR("xfce4-terminal -e 'vim %s'")

where I've tried xterm instead of xfce4-terminal and gvim instead of vim. The following .octaverc file has been attempted.

    #.octaverc
    edit mode sync
    edit home .
    EDITOR('vim > /dev/tty 2>&1 < /dev/tty %s')

And I've tried gvim instead of vim.

I can verify that the script actually ran at startup since EDITOR returns the inputted string. However, when I try to edit a file via e.g. the command

    >> edit temp.m

the normal editor opens up in the editor tab. It's no different than if I had a blank .octaverc file. I'm not sure what else to try, I started on octave 4.0 and updated octave to 4.2.1 but the problem persists. I'm on xubuntu (ubuntu 16.04) using vim 7.4.

Thanks for reading,
Theor

Did you try:
edit tab