Undetected JRE

Daryl
Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from
scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the
installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java
9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

 > java -version

Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks
normal (working GUI, working plots).

--
Daryl Lee

Re: Undetected JRE

Bradley Kennedy

On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

> java -version

Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal (working GUI, working plots).

--
Daryl Lee

Hi there Daryl,

There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t use Java based components.

I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think anyone was interested in it.

Bradley Kennedy

Re: Undetected JRE

PhilipNienhuis
Bradley Kennedy wrote
>> On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee &lt;

> daryl@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from
>> scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the
>> installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java
>> 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of
>>
>> > java -version
>>
>> Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal
>> (working GUI, working plots).

Issues arise when mixing a 64-bit Octave with a 32-bit JRE, or vice versa.
Did you check that?

Last time I looked (years ago) OpenJDK builds for Windows proved to be very
unstable.

> Hi there Daryl,
>
> There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers
> for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t
> use Java based components.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface
> &lt;https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface&gt;
>
> I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at
> run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think
> anyone was interested in it.

I can imagine that for Windows such a patch is obsolete as esp. on Windows
the place where Java lives is very well defined and uniform across Windows
versions, and easily uncovered by user programs.
AFAICR from last time I installed Java, the installer didn't even allow to
select the place where Java was to be installed.

For Linux and OSX things are quite different.

(Just curious) Where is that patch?

Philip

> [...]

>> for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t
>> use Java based components.
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface
>> &lt;https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface&gt;
>>
>> I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at
>> run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think
>> anyone was interested in it.
>
> I can imagine that for Windows such a patch is obsolete as esp. on Windows
> the place where Java lives is very well defined and uniform across Windows
> versions, and easily uncovered by user programs.
> AFAICR from last time I installed Java, the installer didn't even allow to
> select the place where Java was to be installed.
>
> For Linux and OSX things are quite different.

I was careful to select 64-bit everything, and installed in the default location.  I guess I’ll deal with the issue if and when it becomes an issue.

Thanks!

Re: Undetected JRE

PhilipNienhuis

Personal wrote:

>> On Dec 17, 2017, at 2:44 AM, PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bradley Kennedy wrote
>>
>>> daryl@

>> Issues arise when mixing a 64-bit Octave with a 32-bit JRE, or vice versa.
>> Did you check that?
:
<snip>
:
> I was careful to select 64-bit everything, and installed in the
 > default location.  I guess I’ll deal with the issue if and when it
 > becomes an issue.

The other thing is that jvm.dll can be in
<Java install dir>\jre<version>\bin\server
for 64-bit Java but in
<Java install dir>\jre<ersion>\bin\client
for 32-bit Java. I used to copy the contents of ...\client\ to ...\server\

But I think these days that issue has been solved.

Philip

Re: Undetected JRE

Bradley Kennedy

Brad Kennedy
[hidden email]
https://co60.ca

On 12/17/2017 04:44 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> Bradley Kennedy wrote
>>> On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee &lt;
>> daryl@
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from
>>> scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the
>>> installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java
>>> 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

>>> Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal
>>> (working GUI, working plots).
> Issues arise when mixing a 64-bit Octave with a 32-bit JRE, or vice versa.
> Did you check that?
>
> Last time I looked (years ago) OpenJDK builds for Windows proved to be very
> unstable.
>

>> Hi there Daryl,
>>
>> There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers
>> for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t
>> use Java based components.
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface
>> &lt;https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface&gt;
>>
>> I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at
>> run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think
>> anyone was interested in it.
> I can imagine that for Windows such a patch is obsolete as esp. on Windows
> the place where Java lives is very well defined and uniform across Windows
> versions, and easily uncovered by user programs.
> AFAICR from last time I installed Java, the installer didn't even allow to
> select the place where Java was to be installed.
>
> For Linux and OSX things are quite different.
>
> (Just curious) Where is that patch?
>
> Philip
>

> --
> Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Patch was on a wiped work laptop. All it really did was change the path
that Java is searched for at runtime(or I guess launch time) using an
environment variable however. Should be easy to remake if someone is
interested. We only made the patch because we had Java root paths that
moved after installation.

In enterprise users may have multiple Java installed (even on Windows)
so it might be useful regardless. Not sure how this works if you change
the /version/ of Java with the environment variable however.

Re: Undetected JRE

Rik-4
On 12/17/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Undetected JRE
From:
Daryl Lee [hidden email]
Date:
12/16/2017 08:43 PM
To:
Octave [hidden email]
Message:
1

Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

> java -version

Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal (working GUI, working plots).

--
Daryl Lee

Daryl,

Octave will work fine, although you may not have access to Java routines.  The issue was a problem in the detection script which specifically did not locate Java 9.X.X versions.  That was fixed, about two weeks ago, in this changeset

changeset:   24389:295664c0c922
branch:      stable
parent:      24384:d8626fd6bb36
user:        Rik [hidden email]
date:        Thu Dec 07 21:47:14 2017 -0800
summary:     configure.ac: Fix test for Java version (bug #52617).

The next bug fix release, 4.2.2, will incorporate this change or you could grab the code from the development sources and build Octave yourself.

Cheers,
Rik

Re: Undetected JRE

PhilipNienhuis
Bradley Kennedy wrote:

> Brad Kennedy
> [hidden email]
> https://co60.ca
>
> On 12/17/2017 04:44 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> Bradley Kennedy wrote
>>> daryl@

>> Issues arise when mixing a 64-bit Octave with a 32-bit JRE, or vice versa.
>> Did you check that?
>>
>> Last time I looked (years ago) OpenJDK builds for Windows proved to be very
>> unstable.
>>

>>> Hi there Daryl,
>>>
>>> There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers
>>> for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t
>>> use Java based components.
>>>
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface
>>> &lt;https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface&gt;
>>>
>>> I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at
>>> run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think
>>> anyone was interested in it.
>> I can imagine that for Windows such a patch is obsolete as esp. on Windows
>> the place where Java lives is very well defined and uniform across Windows
>> versions, and easily uncovered by user programs.
>> AFAICR from last time I installed Java, the installer didn't even allow to
>> select the place where Java was to be installed.
>>
>> For Linux and OSX things are quite different.

<snip>

> In enterprise users may have multiple Java installed (even on Windows)
> so it might be useful regardless. Not sure how this works if you change
> the /version/ of Java with the environment variable however.

AFAIK on Windows Java is found through the registry - the very reason it
is so easy for user SW to find it.
How to select runtime versions (apart from 64/32bit) isn't clearly
outlined anywhere that I know of.

Philip

Re: Undetected JRE

Bradley Kennedy

On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee &lt;
daryl@
&gt; wrote:
[...]

Oh that rings a bell, it has been months since I looked at that file.

Bradley Kennedy