Updating Octave from 4.0 to 4.2

Sahil Chaturvedi
Hello, what would be the best way to update Octave from 4.0 to the latest version? I'm on MacOS High Sierra. I'm confused as to how to install this.

Thanks for your time.

Sahil Chaturvedi

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Updating Octave from 4.0 to 4.2

Sebastian Schöps
Sahil Chaturvedi wrote
> Hello, what would be the best way to update Octave from 4.0 to the latest
> version? I'm on MacOS High Sierra. I'm confused as to how to install this.
> Thanks for your time.

There is a wiki page [1] on that topic but it's rather complicated because
the Octave community has not yet converged on a single recommendation for
macOS. I personally recommend to install octave via the package manager
"homebrew" [2]. After installing homebrew on your Mac, you may get octave
4.2 via "brew install octave" from a terminal window. Sadly, it will not
install the graphical user interface (GUI) as this is still buggy on macOS.
However, if you manage to get homebrew up and running, then I can explain
you how to get GUI working. Feel free to ask or to look at [3].

Best, Seb.

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS
[2] https://brew.sh
[3] http://www.schoeps.org/home/tag/octave/