Updating Octave

Lester Anderson
Hello,

Quick query. Is it possible to update Octave without having to
reinstall all the packages that I have installed again?

On Octave 4.0.2 at the moment.

Lester

Re: Updating Octave

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 14:14:43 +0100, Lester Anderson wrote:
> Quick query. Is it possible to update Octave without having to
> reinstall all the packages that I have installed again?
>
> On Octave 4.0.2 at the moment.

No, in general all packages have to be reinstalled.

This should be trivial if you install Octave from a package manager.

This should also be very easy if you're using the Windows installer
which comes with a large set of packages preinstalled.

If you install Octave yourself from source, then yes you will have to
reinstall all of the packages using the new version of Octave.

Re: Updating Octave

Lester Anderson
Thanks for the information. If I have a set of packages to install, is
there a batch way to do it or is it still one by one?

On 4 September 2017 at 17:13, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 14:14:43 +0100, Lester Anderson wrote:
>> Quick query. Is it possible to update Octave without having to
>> reinstall all the packages that I have installed again?
>>
>> On Octave 4.0.2 at the moment.
>
> No, in general all packages have to be reinstalled.
>
> This should be trivial if you install Octave from a package manager.
>
> This should also be very easy if you're using the Windows installer
> which comes with a large set of packages preinstalled.
>
> If you install Octave yourself from source, then yes you will have to
> reinstall all of the packages using the new version of Octave.
>
> --
> mike

Re: Updating Octave

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 09/05/2017 08:52 AM, Lester Anderson wrote:
> Thanks for the information. If I have a set of packages to install, is
> there a batch way to do it or is it still one by one?

<snip>

You can make a script to do this.

First, backup the directory containing your packages.

mypkgs = pkg('list');
for idx = 1:numel(mypkgs)
   printf("%2d %s\n",idx, mypkgs{idx}.name)
   if numel(mypkgs{idx}.depends) > 0
     printf("  Has depends\n");
   endif
endfor