Updating our project ideas

Nir Krakauer-2
It's time to start getting http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this coming summer.

Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the goals for

1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg (Roberto? Carlo?)
4) Audio processing (Mike?)
5) Any other listed projects

Thanks,

Nir

Re: Updating our project ideas

Michael Goffioul
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's time to start getting http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this coming summer.

Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the goals for

1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg (Roberto? Carlo?)
4) Audio processing (Mike?)
5) Any other listed projects

This is the information for the projects I have some authority/knowledge/interest.

3.3.1 Lightning

Nothing done.

3.3.2 Object selection in OpenGL renderer

There is a working version in QtHandles. This could be part of a larger project of merging QtHandles into octave (e.g. idea 3.2.2). I know John has mentioned he was willing to look into it, but I don't know how far he got.

3.3.3 Non-OpenGL renderer

Nothing done.

3.3.4 TeX/LaTeX support

Octave has initial support for TeX interpreter in labels and text objects, for on-screen display. Full LaTeX support was the topic of a GSoC project last year, and got to a point similar to the TeX interpreter (that is, on-screen display). There is no support for printing for any of those 2 interpreters, and AFAIK the LaTeX interpreter has never been integrated into octave.

3.4.3 Implement classdef classes

Although incomplete, the default branch of octave contains already a bunch of classdef functionalities. I think this project is a bit too vague/wide. Now that the classdef branch has been merged back into default, I believe this could be narrowed down and refocused a bit. For instance, the project(s) could be:
- add support for events
- add support for enums
- add support for "import"

3.5.2 Improve binary packaging

This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.

Michael.

Re: Updating our project ideas

c.-2

On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:05, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.

Also MXE is not really functioning on OSX, that could be a project for this year.
c.

Re: Updating our project ideas

siko1056
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's time to start getting http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this coming summer.

Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the goals for

1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg (Roberto? Carlo?)
4) Audio processing (Mike?)
5) Any other listed projects

Thanks,

Nir

Hi Nir,

I updated the project description given in the wiki.

Kai

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:05, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.

Also MXE is not really functioning on OSX, that could be a project for this year.

Is it really a goal? When Anirudha was working on it last summer, I had the impression that the main comment about OS X was "why not just do it with MacPort/Fink/...". Maybe I got it wrong.

My point is that it's useless to spend time and effort on MXE+OSX if it's not gonna be used by packagers.

Michael.

Re: Updating our project ideas

bpabbott
Administrator
On Feb 5, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:

OSX, that could be a project for this year.

Is it really a goal? When Anirudha was working on it last summer, I had the impression that the main comment about OS X was "why not just do it with MacPort/Fink/...". Maybe I got it wrong.

We can do this with macports/fink.  However there was a goal to do it with MXE.

Ben

Re: Updating our project ideas

Mike Miller
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 15:59:39 -0500, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> It's time to start getting
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this
> coming summer.
> [...]
> 4) Audio processing (Mike?)

With respect to the current project description on the wiki, I'd say
the work is mostly done, so I'm going to remove it from the wiki. All
that remains is to get the results of last summer's project into a
form suitable for merging into Octave's default branch. This is
something I planned to work on after 3.8, so "soon" now.

Of course if anyone has ideas for further audio projects, feel free to
add them to the project ideas list.

On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:48, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:05, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.
>
> Also MXE is not really functioning on OSX, that could be a project for this year.
>
> Is it really a goal? When Anirudha was working on it last summer, I had the impression that the main comment about OS X was "why not just do it with MacPort/Fink/...". Maybe I got it wrong.

Yes, that was my comment and that was because Anirhuda was using MacPorts to make MXE work.
The rationale behind my comment is that, if MacPorts is required anyway, there's no use in using MXE too.
But it seems Jordi (and maybe also jwe?) would prefer to use MXE only, Jordi could you comment on this?

> My point is that it's useless to spend time and effort on MXE+OSX if it's not gonna be used by packagers.

Indeed I did not use it for packaging 3.8.0.
And I'll package 3.8.1 using MacPorts only.

> Michael.

c.

Re: Updating our project ideas

Andrej Lojdl

3.3.4 TeX/LaTeX support

Octave has initial support for TeX interpreter in labels and text objects, for on-screen display. Full LaTeX support was the topic of a GSoC project last year, and got to a point similar to the TeX interpreter (that is, on-screen display). There is no support for printing for any of those 2 interpreters, and AFAIK the LaTeX interpreter has never been integrated into octave.

The LaTeX interpreter need to be tested (on Windows and Mac) and probably modified to work on this platforms. I didn't manage to set up the MinGW installation on my Win7 and thus failed to test and modify it. We have the grading period, so there is some amount of time that I can devote to do this problem.

Andrej Lojdl

Re: Updating our project ideas

Richard Crozier
On 05/02/2014 20:59, Nir Krakauer wrote:

> It's time to start getting
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this
> coming summer.
>
> Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the
> goals for
>
> 1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
> 2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
> 3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg
> (Roberto? Carlo?)
> 4) Audio processing (Mike?)
> 5) Any other listed projects
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nir

Hi,

The Qucs project was a project to link Qucs, a GPL circuit solver with a
nice graphical interface, and many advanced features to Octave. Qucs is
a circuit simulator, but also has many ideal elements such as
differentiators, step functions, interpolation routines etc.

Regarding the interface to Qucs, the m-code link to Qucs works, most
Qucs functionality is now in a shared library, and it can be called from
m-code quite easily. The only missing piece for Octave is that the
interface is based on classdef, and requires you to be able to call
parent class function using the @ syntax, which last time I checked had
not been implemented.

What this means, is that Qucs is not very far from being a free version
of The Mathworks Smulink(TM) product (although not compatible in any
way). I could therefore imagine some projects around this, if the
classdef was ready in time (I'm not demanding this or anything, just
saying this is required before this can be used with Octave).

In terms of circuit simulation, such a system would be far in advance of
Simulink and its SimPowerSystems add-on.

Regards,
Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Updating our project ideas

Marco Vassallo2

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's time to start getting http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this coming summer.

2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)

I've updated the description.
marco

Thanks,

Nir

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM, Richard Crozier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The Qucs project was a project to link Qucs, a GPL circuit solver with a nice graphical interface, and many advanced features to Octave. Qucs is a circuit simulator, but also has many ideal elements such as differentiators, step functions, interpolation routines etc.

Regarding the interface to Qucs, the m-code link to Qucs works, most Qucs functionality is now in a shared library, and it can be called from m-code quite easily. The only missing piece for Octave is that the interface is based on classdef, and requires you to be able to call parent class function using the @ syntax, which last time I checked had not been implemented.

This was implemented, but was buggy (you couldn't make the call without the parenthesis, even with there was no argument list). I fixed it recently.

Michael.

On 06/02/2014 11:52, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM, Richard Crozier <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The only missing piece for Octave is that
>     the interface is based on classdef, and requires you to be able to
>     call parent class function using the @ syntax, which last time I
>     checked had not been implemented.
>

> This was implemented, but was buggy (you couldn't make the call without
> the parenthesis, even with there was no argument list). I fixed it recently.
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/9ca314e79956
>
> Michael.

Great, thanks for the info, I've been meaning to make time to test out
the latest classdef stuff, but have been too busy with other projects.