Quantcast

Updating the web site fails

I tried to update some content on the web site and "make deploy" is
failing for me with

   $ make deploy
   All prerequisites fulfilled.
   [...]
   #
   # Add all potential new directories to CVS
   #
   cd ../octave && find . -type d -not -name "CVS" -exec cvs add '{}' \;
   cvs add: cannot add special file `.'; skipping
   cvs [add aborted]: there is a version in ./css already
   cvs [add aborted]: there is a version in ./doc already
   [...long list of similar messages...]
   Makefile:16: recipe for target 'deploy' failed
   make: *** [deploy] Error 123

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Updating the web site fails

siko1056
John W. Eaton wrote
I tried to update some content on the web site and "make deploy" is
failing for me with

   $ make deploy
   All prerequisites fulfilled.
   [...]
   #
   # Add all potential new directories to CVS
   #
   cd ../octave && find . -type d -not -name "CVS" -exec cvs add '{}' \;
   cvs add: cannot add special file `.'; skipping
   cvs [add aborted]: there is a version in ./css already
   cvs [add aborted]: there is a version in ./doc already
   [...long list of similar messages...]
   Makefile:16: recipe for target 'deploy' failed
   make: *** [deploy] Error 123

What am I doing wrong?

jwe
Dear jwe,

not many people tried "make deploy" so far (Mike and me very often as far as I know). I see, you did not commit any changes to http://hg.octave.org/web-octave/. This is what I usually start with before deploying the website at Savannah's CVS repository.

The Makefile consists of a bunch of commands I figured out to be useful and "effective" when dealing with CVS on my system. You might try out the individual commands on their own in order to see which one is less suitable for you system and needs corrections in the Makefile.

Your system got stuck in the step, where potential new created directories are added to CVS:

find . -type d -not -name "CVS" -exec cvs add '{}' \;

called from within the Savnnah CVS website repositories directory. One directory found is the current directory ".", which is ignored by my system, and all other website sub directories, that are already under version control and therefore ignored as well. The overall error code "echo $?" is "0" and doesn't cause the Makefile to abort. Does your system see this differently? To check please try to enter from within the website CVS repo:

find . -type d -not -name "CVS" -exec cvs add '{}' \;
echo $?      # shoud be 0

Maybe there is the answer to the problem.

Kai