Use of Octave

John Travis
Howdy,

Octave is up and running successfully for me.  Thanks for the
software.  It should help us very much.

I do have a question about managing mfiles.  I have several
MATLAB mfiles that I have moved over and want to use with
OCTAVE.  Is there an "environment variable" or such that will
tell OCTAVE where to look for these files.  I would rather
keep my various mfiles in their own subdirectories instead
of crowding all into one.

Thanks for your help.  BTW, we are running OCTAVE on an HP9000.
For me, it is a BIG improvement over using my DOS 386 machine!

John

Re: Use of Octave

John C. Campbell-2

| I do have a question about managing mfiles.  I have several
| MATLAB mfiles that I have moved over and want to use with
| OCTAVE.  Is there an "environment variable" or such that will
| tell OCTAVE where to look for these files.  I would rather
| keep my various mfiles in their own subdirectories instead
| of crowding all into one.

Octave uses the variable LOADPATH to determine where to look for
script files and m-files.  Octave always looks in the current
directory for files and you can move around within Octave to change
the current directory.  My solution to having some permanent personal
libraries is to have a .octaverc file with the following line:

LOADPATH = [LOADPATH ":/usr/local/database/octave:/home/u3/jcc/octave"];

This command is run every time I start Octave.  This keeps the current
value of LOADPATH that has the standard octave libraries path.

John

--------
John C. Campbell                    :
[hidden email]                  :