User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

giavux
Hi all,

I have always used Matlab and one of the best things was the creation of the User Interfaces with GUIDE.
Now, with Octave, it is more complicated to create an User Interface. Therefore, I would like to ask you which is the best way to do that.

I can resume my last hours spent on Google looking for a solution with:
- Creating a GUI with Octave: tedious and difficult (only command line).
- Using an external GUI "manager": I found Qt and Glade as possible tools. Nevertheless, it is not clear to me what they are and how they can be linked with Octave.

I know that I will not find anything as GUIDE, but can you suggest to me which direction I should take?
I don't need to create complicated and multiple GUIs within the same Octave script, but I am looking for something immediate and easy to manage.

This is the usual type of GUI I need to create:

Some drop-down menus, some editable text and a couple of push buttons to get the data typed by the user and launch the script (or print a report).

I am using Windows 7 as OS.

Thank you for your time. Hope to find some good advice ;)
Cheers,

Giavux

Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

Avinoam
giavux wrote
[...]

You can try to use Matt Fig GUI examples. Most of them work in Octave (but not all).
see [1] or [2].

Avinoam

[1] https://github.com/thanujadax/matlabprojects/tree/master/GUIs_FEX
[2] https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/24861-41-complete-gui-examples

Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

Pantxo
giavux wrote
Hi all,

I have always used Matlab and one of the best things was the creation of the User Interfaces with GUIDE.
Now, with Octave, it is more complicated to create an User Interface. Therefore, I would like to ask you which is the best way to do that.

I can resume my last hours spent on Google looking for a solution with:
- Creating a GUI with Octave: tedious and difficult (only command line).
- Using an external GUI "manager": I found Qt and Glade as possible tools. Nevertheless, it is not clear to me what they are and how they can be linked with Octave.

Giavux
Hi,

See this preliminary project [1] (I did not try it my self) and this discussion [2] on the maintainers mailing list .

Basically Glade and Qt designer are drag and drop GUI builders. They produce a description of the window layout as an xml file that has to be parsed by an external engine (uic [3] for c++, pyuic for python pyqt ...) to obtain usable code in whatever language.

Pantxo

[1] https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6o7ilt-fzrhNXFEcjFlSzhnSlE
[2] http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Yet-another-GUI-Builder-for-Octave-td4678450.html
[3] http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/uic.html

Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

giavux
Thank you for your advice, Avinoam.
I think the GUI collection by Matt Fig is the best starting point to me.
I tried most of them and they can be a good starting point to develop new ideas.

Re: User Interface (GUI) creation: looking for an alternative to GUIDE by Matlab

giavux
Thank you for your reply, Pantxo.
Now, it is clearer to me what Glade and Qt designer are.

In addition, I have already read the discussion about Glade and I will have a look at [1] if I will decide to start using one of them.

At the moment, I think the best idea is approaching the problem with the GUI collection by Matt Fig, even if I would prefer a graphic tool as GUIDE. If I will have too much difficult to design a GUI, I will move forward to Glade, Qt, ...