Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3
Now that Octave 4.4.1 is here, I've been playing around with getting octave
to work using msys2 rather than the old msys, and have pushed up a patch:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9675

It provides a --with-msys2 option to the mxe-octave configure script, which
will build the installer/tarball with the msys2 system utilities and
libraries rather than the msys ones.

In addition it has pacman (the msys2 package manager) installed and allows
downloading of other msys2 packages easily from within the installed
application.

Apart from the msys2 packages that get installed, the octave packages and
build tools will get installed in <base>/mingw32 or <base>/mingw32, rather
than the base directory which is where the native application like gcc etc
would be installed in msys2.

I haven't pushed it to mxe-octave as yet, waiting on whether it's a good
thing to have and other comments.

Re: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

On 08/13/2018 02:20 PM, JohnD wrote:

> Now that Octave 4.4.1 is here, I've been playing around with getting octave
> to work using msys2 rather than the old msys, and have pushed up a patch:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9675
>
> It provides a --with-msys2 option to the mxe-octave configure script, which
> will build the installer/tarball with the msys2 system utilities and
> libraries rather than the msys ones.
>
> In addition it has pacman (the msys2 package manager) installed and allows
> downloading of other msys2 packages easily from within the installed
> application.
>
> Apart from the msys2 packages that get installed, the octave packages and
> build tools will get installed in <base>/mingw32 or <base>/mingw32, rather
> than the base directory which is where the native application like gcc etc
> would be installed in msys2.
>
> I haven't pushed it to mxe-octave as yet, waiting on whether it's a good
> thing to have and other comments.

As I understand it, msys is no longer supported, so I think this is a
good change.

Can we (easily) build these packages from source as part of mxe-octave?

If not, does your change preserve the downloads of the corresponding
source packages so thet we can distribute both binaries and the sources
that were used to build them?

RE: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

Currently, it does not attempt to build from source - I am not sure if it can without some Cygwin stuff, but would be something to look at.

It also currently doesn’t grab the sources, which is really just a matter of adding additional source rules like was done for msys.
Does it have to package the sources ?
They are available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MSYS2/Sources/

On 08/13/2018 04:59 PM, JohnD wrote:

> Currently, it does not attempt to build from source

OK.

> I am not sure if it can without some Cygwin stuff, but would be something to look at.

Yeah, I couldn't see an easy way to make that happen for msys either,
which is why it was never done.

> It also currently doesn’t grab the sources, which is really just a matter of adding additional source rules like was done for msys.
> Does it have to package the sources ?
> They are available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MSYS2/Sources/

We don't have to include them in the binaries that we distribute, but I
need an easy way to download them so I can distribute them alongside the
binaries.

On 08/13/2018 05:22 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> to include them in the binaries that we distribute, but I need an easy
> way to download them so I can distribute them alongside t

I could add in src-msys2- rules for each, and a rule that will pull then
down and copy somewhere, whether or not they get included.

RE: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

I added the src-msys2- makefiles and a new rule msys2-sources and pushed up to the repo

On 08/15/2018 08:07 AM, JohnD wrote:

> I added the src-msys2- makefiles and a new rule msys2-sources and pushed up to the repo

Thanks.

Any reason not to use the msys2 packages by default?

RE: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

Not unless someone has issues :)