Variable editor status

Mike Miller-4
Hi all,

Is the variable editor supposed to open as a blank panel by default now?

It shows up as a blank panel with all of its buttons greyed out. Only
when I use `openvar` or click on a variable in the workspace table does
it show something.

I don't remember the behavior the last time I tried it (weeks or maybe
months ago), but my first impression when I saw the blank panel is that
it's broken. Another user testing it for the first time had the same
first impression.

Re: Variable editor status

Daniel Sebald
On 03/21/2018 04:29 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is the variable editor supposed to open as a blank panel by default now?
>
> It shows up as a blank panel with all of its buttons greyed out. Only
> when I use `openvar` or click on a variable in the workspace table does
> it show something.
>
> I don't remember the behavior the last time I tried it (weeks or maybe
> months ago), but my first impression when I saw the blank panel is that
> it's broken. Another user testing it for the first time had the same
> first impression.

Propose some initial state (and size...that may be the main issue
because it seems to shrink down to nothing in the automatic layout,
probably needs a min-size specification).  I think with the tabified
design it was a blank window but had an empty tab frame.  We can't
recall the state of variables when Octave last exited.

Here's a somewhat related issue:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53357

Note that if one closes every window in the GUI, that too looks like
something is broken.  (I don't mind it.)  Also note that the Editor
checkmark in Window drop-down menu is still present when it shouldn't
be.  However the Variable Editor looks empty is probably similar to what
the GUI should look like empty.

Dan

Re: Variable editor status

Torsten-3
On 22.03.2018 02:18, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 03/21/2018 04:29 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is the variable editor supposed to open as a blank panel by default now?
>>
>> It shows up as a blank panel with all of its buttons greyed out. Only
>> when I use `openvar` or click on a variable in the workspace table does
>> it show something.
>>
>> I don't remember the behavior the last time I tried it (weeks or maybe
>> months ago), but my first impression when I saw the blank panel is that
>> it's broken. Another user testing it for the first time had the same
>> first impression.
>
> Propose some initial state (and size...that may be the main issue
> because it seems to shrink down to nothing in the automatic layout,
> probably needs a min-size specification).  I think with the tabified
> design it was a blank window but had an empty tab frame.  We can't
> recall the state of variables when Octave last exited.
>
> Here's a somewhat related issue:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53357
>
> Note that if one closes every window in the GUI, that too looks like
> something is broken.  (I don't mind it.)  Also note that the Editor
> checkmark in Window drop-down menu is still present when it shouldn't
> be.  However the Variable Editor looks empty is probably similar to what
> the GUI should look like empty.

The file editor looks like the same when no file is open, only some
toolbar icons for opening files are still enabled. The main difference
is that an empty editor tab is opened by default. However this can't be
done for the variable editor.

Torsten