Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

Saurav Malani
Hello Sir,

My name is Saurav Malani, a 3rd year student at IIIT-H in India. I was looking into the project list of octave for Gsoc-18, and found "Chebfun in Octave" to be quiet interesting. I have pretty good grip in mathematics and computing. So, this is the very obvious reason for my interest in this project.
     Although, when I first read the project title, I was amazed that such important function donot exit in octave. While exploring the topic I read about interpolation and extrapolation, Chebyshev polynomial, related factorizing techiniques. Later I looked into the existing function of matlab and python, to get hands on it. 
     Now, I am looking into the various methods used by python and other languages to implement it. So, that it computes the best approximations in least time.
    So, can you suggest any further reading on this? Also, what exactly do I need to do in this project and on what ground? Also, any particular suggestion from your side?
     Further, I have added link of my resume. I am working on something similar in my MS research. I will be more than happy to work on this as my gsoc project. Looking forward to work with you.

Thank-you      
Regards,
Saurav Malani

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

Nir Krakauer-3

The project description [1] actually gives a pretty good sense of what is involved and how to get started. You can also look at the general tips for GsoC applicants [2].

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Chebfun_in_Octave
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application



On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Saurav Malani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sir,

My name is Saurav Malani, a 3rd year student at IIIT-H in India. I was looking into the project list of octave for Gsoc-18, and found "Chebfun in Octave" to be quiet interesting. I have pretty good grip in mathematics and computing. So, this is the very obvious reason for my interest in this project.
     Although, when I first read the project title, I was amazed that such important function donot exit in octave. While exploring the topic I read about interpolation and extrapolation, Chebyshev polynomial, related factorizing techiniques. Later I looked into the existing function of matlab and python, to get hands on it. 
     Now, I am looking into the various methods used by python and other languages to implement it. So, that it computes the best approximations in least time.
    So, can you suggest any further reading on this? Also, what exactly do I need to do in this project and on what ground? Also, any particular suggestion from your side?
     Further, I have added link of my resume. I am working on something similar in my MS research. I will be more than happy to work on this as my gsoc project. Looking forward to work with you.

Thank-you      
Regards,
Saurav Malani


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2018-01-19 09:27 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>
> The project description [1] actually gives a pretty good sense of what
> is involved and how to get started. You can also look at the general
> tips for GsoC applicants [2].
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Chebfun_in_Octave
> [2]
> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application

I'll add that Chebfun also has an active development team.  Go to their
website and look at some of their examples---but note last time I
checked, this will require Matlab; hence the importance of this project!

Colin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2018-01-19 09:52 AM, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 2018-01-19 09:27 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>>
>> The project description [1] actually gives a pretty good sense of what
>> is involved and how to get started. You can also look at the general
>> tips for GsoC applicants [2].
>>
>> [1]
>> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Chebfun_in_Octave

Great news!  With a few changes and some hacks/workarounds, I've got
some basic things working:

f = chebfun(@(x) sin(x), [-2, 6])
f = chebfun('sin(x)', [-5, 5])
f(pi)
g = f + 1

In particular, the "chebfunpref" problems I had last time I looked at
this are resolved!  Likely by jwe's changes to persistent variables and
subfunction scope if I had to guess.

Anyway, I've updated the wiki above with a link [3] to my changes, so
those would be a good place to start.  I've downgraded the project from
"hard" to "medium" because now at least one can start without touching
Octave internals at all.

[3] https://github.com/cbm755/chebfun/tree/octave_dev

best,
Colin