Quantcast

What should be the extension of octave files?

What should be the extension of octave files?

kamaraju
I have browsed through /usr/share/doc/octave2.9-doc/octave.pdf which is
the octave manual shipped with debian unstable octave 2.9 packages.

This manual seems to be written in Feb 1997. Have there been no changes
done to octave since then? or was this document just not updated with
the latest changes?

In the case of the later, Is there any latest documentation available
(except other than reading the source code)?

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

kamaraju
kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> I have browsed through /usr/share/doc/octave2.9-doc/octave.pdf which
> is the octave manual shipped with debian unstable octave 2.9 packages.
>
> This manual seems to be written in Feb 1997. Have there been no
> changes done to octave since then? or was this document just not
> updated with the latest changes?
>
> In the case of the later, Is there any latest documentation available
> (except other than reading the source code)?
>
> thanks
> raju

Sorry I forgot to ask the actual question I started out with.

What should be the extension of octave files when the octave programs
are not compatible with matlab? Should it always be .m or can it be
something else?

For example, in matlab the function definitions look like

function name
  body
end

where as in octave the definitions look like

function name
  body
endfunction

which does not work in matlab.

any ideas?

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Keith Goodman
On 2/27/06, kamaraju kusumanchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What should be the extension of octave files when the octave programs
> are not compatible with matlab? Should it always be .m or can it be
> something else?
>
> For example, in matlab the function definitions look like
>
> function name
>   body
> end

Your example above works in Octave. The "end" is optional in Octave
(and Matlab). So this works too

function name
     body

Or you can use endfunction if you like.

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Quentin Spencer
kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> I have browsed through /usr/share/doc/octave2.9-doc/octave.pdf which
>> is the octave manual shipped with debian unstable octave 2.9 packages.
>>
>> This manual seems to be written in Feb 1997. Have there been no
>> changes done to octave since then? or was this document just not
>> updated with the latest changes?
>>
>> In the case of the later, Is there any latest documentation available
>> (except other than reading the source code)?
>>
>> thanks
>> raju
>>
> Sorry I forgot to ask the actual question I started out with.
>
> What should be the extension of octave files when the octave programs
> are not compatible with matlab? Should it always be .m or can it be
> something else?
>
> For example, in matlab the function definitions look like
>
> function name
>  body
> end
>
> where as in octave the definitions look like
>
> function name
>  body
> endfunction
>
> which does not work in matlab.

You can still use the Matlab syntax in Octave. Octave still only
recognizes .m as the file extension for script files and functions, so
if you want your m files to be compatible with both environments, make
sure you use the correct Matlab syntax. Yes, it is possible to create
Matlab-incompatible m files that will run in Octave.

-Quentin

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

kamaraju

>> Sorry I forgot to ask the actual question I started out with.
>>
>> What should be the extension of octave files when the octave programs
>> are not compatible with matlab? Should it always be .m or can it be
>> something else?
>>
>> For example, in matlab the function definitions look like
>>
>> function name
>>  body
>> end
>>

> The above syntax works just fine in Octave. In fact, I'd encourage you
> to use that syntax unless there's a good reason not to. This way, your
> code is easier to port back to Matlab when the need arises.

I provided the above case just as an example. But everyone is picking
out on the example rather than on my actual question. May be it is in
the way I phrased the question.

Is there any separate extension that should be given to octave files
which are incompatible with matlab files?

It makes sense to have a .m extension if the octave file is compatible
with matlab. But if it is incompatible what is the point of having a .m
extension? We might as well have a octave specific extension say .oct
indicating outright that the file is incompatible with matlab.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Bill Denney
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> I provided the above case just as an example. But everyone is picking
> out on the example rather than on my actual question. May be it is in
> the way I phrased the question.
>
> Is there any separate extension that should be given to octave files
> which are incompatible with matlab files?
>
> It makes sense to have a .m extension if the octave file is compatible
> with matlab. But if it is incompatible what is the point of having a .m
> extension? We might as well have a octave specific extension say .oct
> indicating outright that the file is incompatible with matlab.

.oct is actually for compiled Octave functions.  There is no different,
octave specific, extension.  I think that it would just add to confusion
since they are mostly compatible, and the incompatibilities run both ways.

Bill

--
"Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert A. Heinlein

Bill Denney wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> I provided the above case just as an example. But everyone is picking
>> out on the example rather than on my actual question. May be it is in
>> the way I phrased the question.
>>
>> Is there any separate extension that should be given to octave files
>> which are incompatible with matlab files?
>>
>> It makes sense to have a .m extension if the octave file is
>> compatible with matlab. But if it is incompatible what is the point
>> of having a .m extension? We might as well have a octave specific
>> extension say .oct indicating outright that the file is incompatible
>> with matlab.
>

> .oct is actually for compiled Octave functions.  There is no
> different, octave specific, extension.  I think that it would just add
> to confusion since they are mostly compatible, and the
> incompatibilities run both ways.
>
> Bill

Perhaps, I was very naive in suggesting .oct extension as I do not know
that .oct is already used for something else. But some such extension
would really be useful from an editor point of view.

For example, if you were a vim developer and you see a .m file, should
the syntax highlighting correspond to that of matlab or should it
correspond to octave? What do other editors like emacs etc., do in these
cases?

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

John W. Eaton-6
On 27-Feb-2006, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

| For example, if you were a vim developer and you see a .m file, should
| the syntax highlighting correspond to that of matlab or should it
| correspond to octave? What do other editors like emacs etc., do in these
| cases?

By default, Emacs starts the Objective C mode for .m files, but you
can specify your own default.  You can also tell it what mode to open
by using a tag like

  ### -*- octave -*-

or by using local variables

  ### Local Variables: ***
  ### mode: octave
  ### End: ***

You could also have Emacs start a special mode for all .m files that
looks at the contents of the file and decides which actual mode to
use.

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Przemek Klosowski

   that .oct is already used for something else. But some such extension
   would really be useful from an editor point of view.

   For example, if you were a vim developer and you see a .m file, should
   the syntax highlighting correspond to that of matlab or should it
   correspond to octave? What do other editors like emacs etc., do in these
   cases?

It seems to me that you are trying to introduce a distinction where
there shouldn't be one. It is true that there are minor syntactical
differences between Octave and the other leading brand. Note, however,
that this is not an Octave-vs.-Matlab problem: even if you exclusively
used just one of them, you still could write code in a particular
flavor. For example if you are using Matlab nestable block comments:

    %{
    block commented text
    %}

your code is incompatible with earlier Matlab and highlighting code
editors. Would you propose to have a separate Matlab file extension
for this case, as well?

I think a better approach is to deal with differences: fix the highlighting
so that it recognizes syntax flavors; decide which syntax you use in your
files; agree to use the newest versions; finally, write conditional code
that runs different branches after detecting which interpreter it's running in.

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Thorsten Meyer
Hi everyone,

another question:
Is there a recommended extension for octave data files (in the octave
ascii format)?

regards

Thorsten Meyer

Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

Jonathan Stickel
I wondered about this, too, and came up with my own naming convention.
For ascii octave data files, I use ".odat", i.e. "octave data".  For
binary octave data files, I use ".obd", i.e. "octave binary data".

Jonathan