When should doxyhtml directory be cleaned?

When should doxyhtml directory be cleaned?

Rik-4
I was trying to remove all cruft from my system and start a new build of
octave.  I used 'make maintainer-clean' which did a pretty good job, but
left the doc/doxyhtml/ directory intact.  Shouldn't the files in there be
removed with 'maintainer-clean'?  Or do you really have to use the rule
'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' which I'm sure no one remembers.

--Rik

Re: When should doxyhtml directory be cleaned?

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 12:22:27 -0800, Rik wrote:
> I was trying to remove all cruft from my system and start a new build of
> octave.  I used 'make maintainer-clean' which did a pretty good job, but
> left the doc/doxyhtml/ directory intact.  Shouldn't the files in there be
> removed with 'maintainer-clean'?  Or do you really have to use the rule
> 'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' which I'm sure no one remembers.

Yes, I think the 'doc-maintainer-clean' target should depend on the
'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' target.

On 01/05/2018 03:33 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 12:22:27 -0800, Rik wrote:
>> I was trying to remove all cruft from my system and start a new build of
>> octave.  I used 'make maintainer-clean' which did a pretty good job, but
>> left the doc/doxyhtml/ directory intact.  Shouldn't the files in there be
>> removed with 'maintainer-clean'?  Or do you really have to use the rule
>> 'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' which I'm sure no one remembers.
>
> Yes, I think the 'doc-maintainer-clean' target should depend on the
> 'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' target.

It's fine with me to clean it on maintainer-clean.  I suspect it was
omitted just because it takes so long to run doxygen on the Octave sources.

Re: When should doxyhtml directory be cleaned?

Daniel Sebald
On 01/05/2018 02:33 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 12:22:27 -0800, Rik wrote:
>> I was trying to remove all cruft from my system and start a new build of
>> octave.  I used 'make maintainer-clean' which did a pretty good job, but
>> left the doc/doxyhtml/ directory intact.  Shouldn't the files in there be
>> removed with 'maintainer-clean'?  Or do you really have to use the rule
>> 'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' which I'm sure no one remembers.
>
> Yes, I think the 'doc-maintainer-clean' target should depend on the
> 'doxyhtml-maintainer-clean' target.

If you are looking at dependencies at the moment, and there is a small
issue about building documentation with TEXINFO definition, I made a
comment here

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52775#comment1

about the documentation not being dependent on
doc/interpreter/macros.texi that might be a good thing to address.
(It's not critical as far as dependencies go because of how little
macros.texi gets modified.)

Dan