Where I did wrong?

Dildar Sk
Hello, Octave community with due respect,humbly I want to ask a question.
I just want to improve myself by asking this question.

So, my proposals weren't selected. Instead there got selected 3 people. I
can understand Sahil and Sudeepam
did an excellent job. But what about the 3rd person I saw him not
contributing nor discussing about his ideas.
If someone can say where I lagged would help me in next time. Thanks.

Re: Where I did wrong?

Nir Krakauer-3
Dear Dildar,

Different factors contribute to decisions about GSoC, including assessment of the student's technical ability, interactions with him or her, and the interest of mentors in a particular topic. The accepted projects ranked highly in all those areas.

I noticed that many of the successful applicants (in this and previous years) had completed some initial work or proof of concept for their project topic. Such a track record helps the organization mentors be more confident of the applicant's interest and ability for a particular project. So, if you want to maximize your chances of acceptance for either Octave or another organization in a future GSoC, my recommendation would be to find a project idea that interests you and begin learning about it and contributing to it.

With best wishes,

Nir

Re: Where I did wrong?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi Dildar,

It was the general opinion that we couldn't check your skills for
numerical projects like special functions. Here the recommendation of
Nir is right on the spot, we need to see something that tells us you
will be able to do it without heavy guidance.

The other project (cli recommendations) did not resonate with the
group of mentors and the ones that were interested did not add much
info, so in this case it just seem you were talking to the wrong
public. It doesn0t say anything about your skills or the quality of
your idea.
Maybe you can use this year to make some contributions in this
direction, show the coolness, and prove that our devs are a little old
minded ;D

Cheers