Quantcast

Who uses Octave?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
62 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Who uses Octave?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Who uses Octave?

We haven't asked this question in a while, so I'm curious to see if
answers have changed significantly recently.

It would be much appreciated if you could answer here in the mailing
list or edit our wiki page on the matter:

    http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Who_Uses_Octave%3F

TIA,
- Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Maynard Wright
I use Octave to solve problems in radio engineering, mostly related to
filters, transmission lines, and antennas.  Since 2005, I've written twelve
articles for the magazine QEX (www.arrl.org/qex) on the use of Octave in
amateur radio applications.


Best regards,


Maynard Wright




On Monday, January 16, 2012 07:32:09 am Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Who uses Octave?
>
> We haven't asked this question in a while, so I'm curious to see if
> answers have changed significantly recently.
>
> It would be much appreciated if you could answer here in the mailing
> list or edit our wiki page on the matter:
>
>     http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Who_Uses_Octave%3F
>
> TIA,
> - Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Ivan Reche
2012/1/16 Maynard Wright <[hidden email]>
I use Octave to solve problems in radio engineering, mostly related to
filters, transmission lines, and antennas.  Since 2005, I've written twelve
articles for the magazine QEX (www.arrl.org/qex) on the use of Octave in
amateur radio applications.


Best regards,


Maynard Wright




On Monday, January 16, 2012 07:32:09 am Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Who uses Octave?
>
> We haven't asked this question in a while, so I'm curious to see if
> answers have changed significantly recently.
>
> It would be much appreciated if you could answer here in the mailing
> list or edit our wiki page on the matter:
>
>     http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Who_Uses_Octave%3F
>
> TIA,
> - Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
 

I've used Octave for digital image processing in the field of optics for a private company. They also used it to analyze satellite data.

I also use it on personal Artificial Intelligence projects, implementing genetic algorithms and neural networks.

I know that INPE, a brazillian meteorological institute, uses Octave for data processing tasks in a few laboratories.

Cheers,

Ivan

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Jose
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 01/16/2012 05:32 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Who uses Octave?

José Vallet, from Aalto University (former Helsinki University of
Technology) for my PhD (research on localization) and anything that
needs a numerical tool.

J
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Richard Balogh
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2

I use Octave in my Robotics class at the Slovak University of Technology.

I mentioned it use also in the paper available here:
http://ap.urpi.fei.stuba.sk/balogh/pdf/11RiEAcrob.pdf
at the page 5.

Even the university has (probably) kind of Matlab licence, for me it was
much easier to install Octave in classroom without any licencing questions.
Also students were surprised that there exists a Matlab alternative.

Richard Balogh




Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Who uses Octave?
>
> We haven't asked this question in a while, so I'm curious to see if
> answers have changed significantly recently.
>
> It would be much appreciated if you could answer here in the mailing
> list or edit our wiki page on the matter:
>
>     http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Who_Uses_Octave%3F
>
> TIA,
> - Jordi G. H.
> _______________________________________________
> Help-octave mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
>
>
> __________ Informacia od ESET Smart Security, verzia databazy 6801 (20120116) __________
>
> Tuto spravu preveril ESET Smart Security.
>
> http://www.eset.sk
>
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Who uses Octave?

Allen.Windhorn-2
In reply to this post by Jose
I use Octave for modeling electric machines and other
electromechanical systems in a commercial engineering
environment.  I also have a copy of Matlab, but it's just
easier to bring up Octave for most things, and I can then
distribute the resulting code.  If I could get a package
similar to Simpower Systems for Octave I would give up my
Matlab license (yes, I could write one, but haven't had
time yet).

Regards,
Allen
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

ijourneaux
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
We use to to create image analysis routines to evaluate print quality. This inludes counting pickouts (where printing process pickouts out small pieces of the paper surface, counting missing dots in roto gravure printing, evaluating print mottle in half-tone prints, evaluating paper formation, count pin holes, etc.

Octave is used to perform the calculations and we use AutoIT (both running under windows) to create a simple operator interface so the technicians can enter sample ID, type of test, etc, and control the scanner before passing the image(s) to Octave for analysis.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Eduardo J. Adam-3
I use Octave with classical linear control theory. Also, in this moment, I am developing with my coworkers a toolbox for teaching liner control in my graduated course at my University.

Furthermore, I have been done some research works in linear control.

Eduardo


2012/1/17 ijourneaux <[hidden email]>
We use to to create image analysis routines to evaluate print quality. This
inludes counting pickouts (where printing process pickouts out small pieces
of the paper surface, counting missing dots in roto gravure printing,
evaluating print mottle in half-tone prints, evaluating paper formation,
count pin holes, etc.

Octave is used to perform the calculations and we use AutoIT (both running
under windows) to create a simple operator interface so the technicians can
enter sample ID, type of test, etc, and control the scanner before passing
the image(s) to Octave for analysis.

--
View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Who-uses-Octave-tp4300008p4303909.html
Sent from the Octave - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave



--

Dr. Eduardo J. Adam
Prof. Adjunto Instrumentación y Control de Procesos
Facultad de Ingeniería Química
Santiago del Estero 2654, (S3000AOJ), Santa Fe, SF, Argentina
Tel. +54 (0342) 457-1167 Int. 2742
http://www.fiq.unl.edu.ar/control/index.php?page=adam


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Lukas Reichlin-2
On 18.01.2012, at 13:43, Eduardo J. Adam wrote:

> I use Octave with classical linear control theory. Also, in this moment, I am developing with my coworkers a toolbox for teaching liner control in my graduated course at my University.
>
> Furthermore, I have been done some research works in linear control.
>
> Eduardo

Hi Eduardo

Are you aware of the control package (version 2.2.4)? I hope we can join our efforts.

Regards,
Lukas

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

uncle
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
2012-01-16 16:32, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso skrev:
> Who uses Octave?

I use Octave for simulation and optimization work related to district
heating and cooling systems during my PhD thesis work. I also develop
and maintain an open source simulation package (using Octave
functionality) for district heating systems, which has been financed by
the Swedish District Heating Association the last few years. A new
version of this software will be made available during the next few
months (hopefully), and when this happens the project webpage [1] will
also be updated (it is currently very out-of-date).

Best regards
/christian

[1] http://www.dhemos.org
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Eduardo J. Adam-3
Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments.
Let me explain much better.
With my coworkers I'm working in a toolbox for teaching linear control theory. Of course that we use the control toolbox but, our idea is to use Qt library for building a practical interface with the student.
We are very excited about the initial results, and I believe that we will publish our work soon. In principle, this work is made on ubuntu-linux.


Eduardo

2012/1/18 uncle <[hidden email]>
2012-01-16 16:32, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso skrev:
Who uses Octave?

I use Octave for simulation and optimization work related to district heating and cooling systems during my PhD thesis work. I also develop and maintain an open source simulation package (using Octave functionality) for district heating systems, which has been financed by the Swedish District Heating Association the last few years. A new version of this software will be made available during the next few months (hopefully), and when this happens the project webpage [1] will also be updated (it is currently very out-of-date).

Best regards
/christian

[1] http://www.dhemos.org

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave



--

Dr. Eduardo J. Adam
Prof. Adjunto Instrumentación y Control de Procesos
Facultad de Ingeniería Química
Santiago del Estero 2654, (S3000AOJ), Santa Fe, SF, Argentina
Tel. +54 (0342) 457-1167 Int. 2742
http://www.fiq.unl.edu.ar/control/index.php?page=adam


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

andrewcd
I mostly do statistics/econometrics in STATA, but use Octave for plotting and simulation.  I also use it for statistics with huge datasets, larger than stata will support.

I'm working on my dissertation at UC Berkeley, and I'm somewhere between a development economist and an environmental scientist.  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Chipmuenk
In reply to this post by Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
I'm a teacher for Electrical Engineering at the Munich University of Applied Sciences and I use
Octave (3.2.4 + GUI Octave) from time to time on my private laptop for some digital filter design
and simulations and to create illustrations for my presentation slides. The capabilities of
Octave are more than sufficient for most EE courses and I would like to use Octave instead of ML
in my courses "Digital Signal Processing on FPGAs" and "Analog Circuit Design", but currently
some issues keep me from doing this on a larger scale:

- First and foremost: No proper GUI - my students are not willing to use the software mainly due
to this reason, they rather get a cracked ML version instead (which I disapprove of!).
- No fixpoint package, I've written some simple (and slow!) functions to get around this, but I
think it is a pity that the "fixed" package seems to be dead
- A Filter GUI like "Filter Design and Analysis" in ML is essential for teaching the basics of
DSP. I could help to create such a GUI, also with fixpoint / quantized arithmetic, but I'm not
sure about the state of Zenity or some other (?) GUI package and how it fits with the ongoing
changes of the graphical backend. And I'm not a C / C++ programmer.
- Highlevel FPGA design tools are only available for ML / SL. I have some ideas how to get around
this with a "poor mans design flow" but before I dive into this I would like to understand what
will likely happen (and when!) with the other issues
- Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and digital I/O cards but
haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is Windows, other OS are <
10% I would guess.

I have also tried to promote Octave to my colleagues but they stick to ML (in spite of licence
fees that we are not happy with at all) for similar reasons as stated above. So, unfortunately,
Octave currently is only a "backup solution" at our university.

While this is not strictly a reply to "who uses octave" but more to "who would like to use octave", maybe it helps to explain why Octave is not as common among EE students as it seems to be among other faculties.

Best regards,

Christian Münker

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Michael Goffioul
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Chipmuenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - First and foremost: No proper GUI - my students are not willing to use the
> software mainly due
> to this reason, they rather get a cracked ML version instead (which I
> disapprove of!).

This something that is being worked on, but it's taking time. If by
GUI you mean the ability to build GUI, then you might also want to
take a look at QtHandles that implements a significant part of the ML
uiXXX stuffs (https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles).

> - No fixpoint package, I've written some simple (and slow!) functions to get
> around this, but I
> think it is a pity that the "fixed" package seems to be dead

The original author doesn't have the time to maintain it. So if you're
willing to take it over, that would be a nice way to contribute to
octave. Most of the code is still valid, but it doesn't work anymore,
because octave's API has changed. Bringing it back to life shouldn't
be too difficult, even without being C/C++ expert.

> - A Filter GUI like "Filter Design and Analysis" in ML is essential for
> teaching the basics of
> DSP. I could help to create such a GUI, also with fixpoint / quantized
> arithmetic, but I'm not
> sure about the state of Zenity or some other (?) GUI package and how it fits
> with the ongoing
> changes of the graphical backend. And I'm not a C / C++ programmer.

I encourage you to have a look at QtHandles. It's not in the scope of
octave core to develop a Filter Design GUI, but using the uiXXX
functions (as implemented by Qthandles), it should be possible to
implement one by EE engineers like you or your students.

> - Highlevel FPGA design tools are only available for ML / SL. I have some
> ideas how to get around
> this with a "poor mans design flow" but before I dive into this I would like
> to understand what
> will likely happen (and when!) with the other issues

This is obviously out of the scope of octave core. But again, this is
something that EE engineers could contribute.

> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
> digital I/O cards but
> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
> Windows, other OS are <
> 10% I would guess.

This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
there seems to be the cross-platform issue.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Juan Pablo Carbajal
In reply to this post by Chipmuenk
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Chipmuenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
> digital I/O cards but
> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
> Windows, other OS are <
> 10% I would guess.

In the case of linux, have you look at comedi?
http://comedi.org/
It is quite easy to integrate with octave through the C/C++ API.
Though, it seems the development of drivers for newer cards is somehow
stalled.

For more general solutions you may want to have RSB in your scope. We
are (slowly) developing an Octave interface.
https://code.cor-lab.de/projects/rsb
(also, from the "Landsleute" in Bielefeld)


--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Julien Salort
In reply to this post by Michael Goffioul
Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> writes:

>> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
>> digital I/O cards but
>> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
>> Windows, other OS are <
>> 10% I would guess.
>
> This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
> there seems to be the cross-platform issue.

I use  Octave in my  daily work to  communitate with several  NI devices
(GPIB card, DAQmx card) using  NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx libraries. I've been
running  my  code   on  Mac  OS  X,  Windows  and   now  Linux.   It  is
cross-platform, as  long as National Instruments  provides libraries for
your preferred  platform: no  problem on Windows,  almost no  problem on
Macintosh,  tricky  on Linux,  except  if  you  stick to  the  supported
distributions (I  had it  work with Scientific  Linux 6.1 but  failed on
Debian Squeeze).

I'd be willing to publish my code. I'm just not sure if there is a legal
issue: as  I understand it, a  GPL program is distributed  in binary and
source forms.  However,  if you link against a  proprietary library, the
resulting binary cannot be distributed with a GPL license.  Am I right ?

Then my problem is the following:
- I have no problem to publish the source code of my oct files
- Once compiled,  they link against Octave libraries  (GPL) and National
  Instruments libraries (proprietary).

What license should I choose ?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on a mailing list?

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Michael Goffioul
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Julien Salort <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
>>> digital I/O cards but
>>> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
>>> Windows, other OS are <
>>> 10% I would guess.
>>
>> This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
>> there seems to be the cross-platform issue.
>
> I use  Octave in my  daily work to  communitate with several  NI devices
> (GPIB card, DAQmx card) using  NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx libraries. I've been
> running  my  code   on  Mac  OS  X,  Windows  and   now  Linux.   It  is
> cross-platform, as  long as National Instruments  provides libraries for
> your preferred  platform: no  problem on Windows,  almost no  problem on
> Macintosh,  tricky  on Linux,  except  if  you  stick to  the  supported
> distributions (I  had it  work with Scientific  Linux 6.1 but  failed on
> Debian Squeeze).
>
> I'd be willing to publish my code. I'm just not sure if there is a legal
> issue: as  I understand it, a  GPL program is distributed  in binary and
> source forms.  However,  if you link against a  proprietary library, the
> resulting binary cannot be distributed with a GPL license.  Am I right ?
>
> Then my problem is the following:
> - I have no problem to publish the source code of my oct files
> - Once compiled,  they link against Octave libraries  (GPL) and National
>  Instruments libraries (proprietary).
>
> What license should I choose ?

Your source code must use a GPLv3-compatible license. Because it is
intended to be linked against NI library, which is not
GPLv3-compatible, you can't distribute resulting binaries. OTOH
nothing prevents you from distributing sources only.

But as a GPL project, we obviously prefer a fully GPL-compatible
solution, if there's any. Also you code could not be hosted on
octave-forge, as we recently decided to host only GPL-compatible
packages, so you'd have to host your code somewhere else.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Michael Goffioul
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Julien Salort <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>>> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
>>>> digital I/O cards but
>>>> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
>>>> Windows, other OS are <
>>>> 10% I would guess.
>>>
>>> This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
>>> there seems to be the cross-platform issue.
>>
>> I use  Octave in my  daily work to  communitate with several  NI devices
>> (GPIB card, DAQmx card) using  NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx libraries. I've been
>> running  my  code   on  Mac  OS  X,  Windows  and   now  Linux.   It  is
>> cross-platform, as  long as National Instruments  provides libraries for
>> your preferred  platform: no  problem on Windows,  almost no  problem on
>> Macintosh,  tricky  on Linux,  except  if  you  stick to  the  supported
>> distributions (I  had it  work with Scientific  Linux 6.1 but  failed on
>> Debian Squeeze).
>>
>> I'd be willing to publish my code. I'm just not sure if there is a legal
>> issue: as  I understand it, a  GPL program is distributed  in binary and
>> source forms.  However,  if you link against a  proprietary library, the
>> resulting binary cannot be distributed with a GPL license.  Am I right ?
>>
>> Then my problem is the following:
>> - I have no problem to publish the source code of my oct files
>> - Once compiled,  they link against Octave libraries  (GPL) and National
>>  Instruments libraries (proprietary).
>>
>> What license should I choose ?
>
> Your source code must use a GPLv3-compatible license. Because it is
> intended to be linked against NI library, which is not
> GPLv3-compatible, you can't distribute resulting binaries. OTOH
> nothing prevents you from distributing sources only.
>
> But as a GPL project, we obviously prefer a fully GPL-compatible
> solution, if there's any. Also you code could not be hosted on
> octave-forge, as we recently decided to host only GPL-compatible
> packages, so you'd have to host your code somewhere else.
>
> Michael.
> _______________________________________________
> Help-octave mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave

I think you can distribute your code under GPLv3, by removing all
content that is not GPL compatible and provide a nice help file
explaining how to use it and compile it (you can even distribute make
files).
The only issue I see, is that since your code wouldn't be functional
in this form, somebody may say it is not a "solution" (though it could
be if there isn't really any free software alternative).

I the case of Linux (I do not know if it works on other platforms):
Can't you use the free drivers from http://www.comedi.org? They are
distributed under GPLv2

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

John W. Eaton
Administrator
On  7-Feb-2012, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

| On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Michael Goffioul
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Julien Salort <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >> Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> writes:
| >>
| >>>> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
| >>>> digital I/O cards but
| >>>> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
| >>>> Windows, other OS are <
| >>>> 10% I would guess.
| >>>
| >>> This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
| >>> there seems to be the cross-platform issue.
| >>
| >> I use  Octave in my  daily work to  communitate with several  NI devices
| >> (GPIB card, DAQmx card) using  NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx libraries. I've been
| >> running  my  code   on  Mac  OS  X,  Windows  and   now  Linux.   It  is
| >> cross-platform, as  long as National Instruments  provides libraries for
| >> your preferred  platform: no  problem on Windows,  almost no  problem on
| >> Macintosh,  tricky  on Linux,  except  if  you  stick to  the  supported
| >> distributions (I  had it  work with Scientific  Linux 6.1 but  failed on
| >> Debian Squeeze).
| >>
| >> I'd be willing to publish my code. I'm just not sure if there is a legal
| >> issue: as  I understand it, a  GPL program is distributed  in binary and
| >> source forms.  However,  if you link against a  proprietary library, the
| >> resulting binary cannot be distributed with a GPL license.  Am I right ?
| >>
| >> Then my problem is the following:
| >> - I have no problem to publish the source code of my oct files
| >> - Once compiled,  they link against Octave libraries  (GPL) and National
| >>  Instruments libraries (proprietary).
| >>
| >> What license should I choose ?
| >
| > Your source code must use a GPLv3-compatible license. Because it is
| > intended to be linked against NI library, which is not
| > GPLv3-compatible, you can't distribute resulting binaries. OTOH
| > nothing prevents you from distributing sources only.
| >
| > But as a GPL project, we obviously prefer a fully GPL-compatible
| > solution, if there's any. Also you code could not be hosted on
| > octave-forge, as we recently decided to host only GPL-compatible
| > packages, so you'd have to host your code somewhere else.
| >
| > Michael.
| > _______________________________________________
| > Help-octave mailing list
| > [hidden email]
| > https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
|
| I think you can distribute your code under GPLv3, by removing all
| content that is not GPL compatible and provide a nice help file
| explaining how to use it and compile it (you can even distribute make
| files).

I think we all understand that the GPL clearly forbids distributing the
resulting binaries.

If your intent is to attempt to avoid the terms of the GPL simply by
releasing a thin wrapper between Octave and a proprietary library,
then it is possible that this is still a GPL violation, regardless of
how the thin wrapper and the proprietary library are distributed.  See
section 5(c) of GPLv3.

You may think you are helping people by releasing this code, but I
would urge to you not do it and instead work to provide free software
drivers for the hardware.

jwe
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Who uses Octave?

Julien Salort
"John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think we all understand that the GPL clearly forbids distributing the
> resulting binaries.

I think  I understood this. I  still wondered if I  could distribute the
source code and Makefile.

> If your intent is to attempt to avoid the terms of the GPL simply by
> releasing a thin wrapper between Octave and a proprietary library,

I  personnaly   don't  attempt  anything.   I  don't   plan  on  selling
anything. If  distributing my  source code poses  a legal issue,  then I
just won't distribute it or try to switch to Matlab but this may require
some work and I'm not sure to have the time.

> You may think you are helping people by releasing this code, but I
> would urge to you not do it and instead work to provide free software
> drivers for the hardware.

I do scientific research. To do this, I choose the acquisition card with
the required datasheet. It  happens that National Instruments provides a
free closed-source cross-platform library  to interface this card with a
computer.

I don't have  the knowledge nor the time  to reverse-engineer their card
and write my own driver. End of story.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on a mailing list?

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
1234
Loading...