Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

tmacchant
Wiki for Octave for GNU/Linux

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux

The below is described:

The recommended way for installing Octave and Octave-Forge packages on GNU/Linux systems is via each distribution package installation system.

However, version of octave of each distribution package is not always latest.
The octave by flatpak is now mentioned in octave main.
However, on flatpack we cannot install Octave-Forge packages at present.
 http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/package-installing-from-flatpak-flathub-td4689943.html

I am an Ubuntu user and always build octave from source to use the latest octave and octave-forge packages.

On Ubuntu, build octave from source is not so difficult if one get build instruction
https://www.scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-on-ubuntu/

I think that build information is better also be included in

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux

How do other people think?

Tatsuro

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:07:32 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> Wiki for Octave for GNU/Linux
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux
>
> The below is described:
>
> The recommended way for installing Octave and Octave-Forge packages on
> GNU/Linux systems is via each distribution package installation
> system.

That's still the best recommendation.

> However, version of octave of each distribution package is not always latest.

Right.

> The octave by flatpak is now mentioned in octave main.
> However, on flatpack we cannot install Octave-Forge packages at present.
>  http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/package-installing-from-flatpak-flathub-td4689943.html

I don't think that's right. I have successfully installed and tested
various Octave Forge packages with the flatpak build of Octave. Can you
be more specific?

I suggested in that thread 3 months ago that people should report issues
installing specific packages.

> I am an Ubuntu user and always build octave from source to use the latest
> octave and octave-forge packages.
>

> On Ubuntu, build octave from source is not so difficult if one get build
> instruction
> https://www.scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-on-ubuntu/
>
> I think that build information is better also be included in
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux
I disagree. I don't think that page should include all of the details of
how to build Octave from source. That page is a gateway to specific
instructions for each distribution. It should remain very high-level and
show how to install Octave simply using each distro package manager.

The specifics about building Octave on Debian and Ubuntu systems are at

  https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

tmacchant
> From: Mike Miller

> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> Cc: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2019/2/10, Sun 08:39
> Subject: Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:07:32 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>>  Wiki for Octave for GNU/Linux
>>
>>  http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux
>>
>>  The below is described:
>>
>>  The recommended way for installing Octave and Octave-Forge packages on
>>  GNU/Linux systems is via each distribution package installation
>>  system.
>
> That's still the best recommendation.
>
>>  However, version of octave of each distribution package is not always
> latest.
>
> Right.
>
>>  The octave by flatpak is now mentioned in octave main.
>>  However, on flatpack we cannot install Octave-Forge packages at present.
>>
>  http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/package-installing-from-flatpak-flathub-td4689943.html
>
> I don't think that's right. I have successfully installed and tested
> various Octave Forge packages with the flatpak build of Octave. Can you
> be more specific?

> I suggested in that thread 3 months ago that people should report issues
> installing specific packages.

Ubuntu 16.04

$ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave

octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
warning: called from
    install at line 30 column 5
    pkg at line 437 column 9
error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
error: called from
    install at line 33 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

The control package is very popular package.
(I use signal package and signal package requires control package)

>>  I am an Ubuntu user and always build octave from source to use the latest
>>  octave and octave-forge packages.
>>

>>  On Ubuntu, build octave from source is not so difficult if one get build
>>  instruction
>>  https://www.scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-on-ubuntu/
>>
>>  I think that build information is better also be included in
>>
>>  http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux
>
> I disagree. I don't think that page should include all of the details of
> how to build Octave from source. That page is a gateway to specific
> instructions for each distribution. It should remain very high-level and
> show how to install Octave simply using each distro package manager.
>
> The specifics about building Octave on Debian and Ubuntu systems are at
>
>   https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems

OK. I understand.
However, some dependencies (e.g. version of qt is 4) are outdated.

Information build from source is required for power uses who
want use development version of octave.

Information here are better to be updated.

Appearance of WSL, the easiest way to use development
octave on windows 10 (64bit) is to build octave on WSL.

I sometimes build dev. octave on WSL.

Tatsuro

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

tmacchant

> [...]
>>>
>>>   http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux
>>
>>  I disagree. I don't think that page should include all of the details
> of
>>  how to build Octave from source. That page is a gateway to specific
>>  instructions for each distribution. It should remain very high-level and
>>  show how to install Octave simply using each distro package manager.
>>
>>  The specifics about building Octave on Debian and Ubuntu systems are at
>>
>>    https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems
>
> OK. I understand.
> However, some dependencies (e.g. version of qt is 4) are outdated.
>
> Information build from source is required for power uses who
> want use development version of octave.
>
> Information here are better to be updated.
>
> Appearance of WSL, the easiest way to use development
> octave on windows 10 (64bit) is to build octave on WSL.

Debian and Debian-based (such as Ubuntu)
Main article: Octave for Debian systems
Simply install Octave from your distribution repository:

apt-get install octave

=>
apt install octave

I think

Tatsuro

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 13:19:58 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> $ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave
>

> octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
> warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
> warning: called from
>     install at line 30 column 5
>     pkg at line 437 column 9
> error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
> error: called from
>     install at line 33 column 7
>     pkg at line 437 column 9
I think the problem here is that you are running as root. Don't use sudo
to run Octave.

You can install flatpak applications system-wide or per-user.

System-wide:

    sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave

Per-user:

    flatpak install --user flathub org.octave.Octave

But you should always run it as a normal user:

    flatpak run org.octave.Octave --gui

The problem with root is that Octave's pkg function assumes packages
will be installed system-wide if root is running Octave. But in flatpak
the application root directory /app is read-only by design.

> The control package is very popular package.
> (I use signal package and signal package requires control package)

After fixing the above you should definitely be able to install control
and signal easily as a normal user.

Does that help?

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

tmacchant
o MATSUOKA wrote:

>>  $ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave
>>

>>  octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
>>  warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
>>  warning: called from
>>      install at line 30 column 5
>>      pkg at line 437 column 9
>>  error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
>>  error: called from
>>      install at line 33 column 7
>>      pkg at line 437 column 9
>
> I think the problem here is that you are running as root. Don't use sudo
> to run Octave.
>
> You can install flatpak applications system-wide or per-user.
>
> System-wide:
>
>     sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
>
> Per-user:
>
>     flatpak install --user flathub org.octave.Octave
>
> But you should always run it as a normal user:
>
>     flatpak run org.octave.Octave --gui
>
> The problem with root is that Octave's pkg function assumes packages
> will be installed system-wide if root is running Octave. But in flatpak
> the application root directory /app is read-only by design.
>
>>  The control package is very popular package.
>>  (I use signal package and signal package requires control package)
>
> After fixing the above you should definitely be able to install control
> and signal easily as a normal user.
>
> Does that help?

Perhaps I have made some mistakes and could not run flapak octave without sudo.
I remove ~.local/share/flatpak and reinstall octave.
I can launch flatpak octave without sudo and can install control package.

Thanks

Tatsuro

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

apjanke-floss

On 2/10/19 5:41 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> o MATSUOKA wrote:
>
>>>   $ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave
>>>

>>>   octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
>>>   warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
>>>   warning: called from
>>>       install at line 30 column 5
>>>       pkg at line 437 column 9
>>>   error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
>>>   error: called from
>>>       install at line 33 column 7
>>>       pkg at line 437 column 9
>>
>> I think the problem here is that you are running as root. Don't use sudo
>> to run Octave.
>>
>> You can install flatpak applications system-wide or per-user.
>>
>> System-wide:
>>
>>      sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
>>
>> Per-user:
>>
>>      flatpak install --user flathub org.octave.Octave
>>
>> But you should always run it as a normal user:
>>
>>      flatpak run org.octave.Octave --gui
>>
>> The problem with root is that Octave's pkg function assumes packages
>> will be installed system-wide if root is running Octave. But in flatpak
>> the application root directory /app is read-only by design.
>>
>>>   The control package is very popular package.
>>>   (I use signal package and signal package requires control package)
>>
>> After fixing the above you should definitely be able to install control
>> and signal easily as a normal user.
>>
>> Does that help?
>

> Perhaps I have made some mistakes and could not run flapak octave without sudo.
> I remove ~.local/share/flatpak and reinstall octave.
> I can launch flatpak octave without sudo and can install control package.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tatsuro

I've been using flatpak installs lately too. One thing I've learned: you
need to either do everything in flatpak as root (sudo) or nothing as
root. Mixing the two doesn't work.

Here's what I am doing on Ubunu Xenial to get flatpak Octave 4.4 installed:

flatpak remote-add --user --if-not-exists flathub
https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install --user -y flathub org.octave.Octave

No sudo on either of those commands. And it seems to matter for the
remote-add, too: maybe you did the remote-add with a sudo previously?

If you want to see details on how to do this in an automated context,
it's in https://github.com/apjanke/octave-control-testing-2019-01-23 in
the .travis.yml and dev-tools/install-octave-ubuntu.sh files.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

tmacchant

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 13:19:58 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>>  $ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave
>>

>>  octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
>>  warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
>>  warning: called from
>>      install at line 30 column 5
>>      pkg at line 437 column 9
>>  error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
>>  error: called from
>>      install at line 33 column 7
>>      pkg at line 437 column 9
>
> I think the problem here is that you are running as root. Don't use sudo
> to run Octave.
>
> You can install flatpak applications system-wide or per-user.
>
> System-wide:
>
>     sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
>
> Per-user:
>
>     flatpak install --user flathub org.octave.Octave
>
> But you should always run it as a normal user:
>
>     flatpak run org.octave.Octave --gui
>
> The problem with root is that Octave's pkg function assumes packages
> will be installed system-wide if root is running Octave. But in flatpak
> the application root directory /app is read-only by design.
>
>>  The control package is very popular package.
>>  (I use signal package and signal package requires control package)
>
> After fixing the above you should definitely be able to install control
> and signal easily as a normal user.
>
> Does that help?
>
> --
> mike

I tried to install octave to WSL ubuntu 18.04.

sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave

Installing: org.octave.Octave/x86_64/stable from flathub
[####################] 1 metadata, 5386 content objects fetched; 120241 KiB tran
Now at 693971e8d6c6.
bwrap: loopback: Failed RTM_NEWADDR: No such file or directory
bwrap: loopback: Failed RTM_NEWADDR: No such file or directory
bwrap: loopback: Failed RTM_NEWADDR: No such file or directory

Mmmmm

Any hints?

Tatsuro