Windows GUI startup message truncated

See attached image.

I installed one of the buildbot builds (w64 with 32-bit indexing) and
this is what I see when Octave starts.  The startup message is truncated
to 14 columns.

Thinking there could be some init file issue, I tried removing the
~/.config directory with the same results.

Text entered at the command prompt and output from commands are not
truncated, just the startup message.

Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this?  I've never seen
this problem before.

jwe

octave-screenshot.png (87K) Download Attachment

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

Daniel Sebald
On 11/29/2017 03:14 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> See attached image.
>
> I installed one of the buildbot builds (w64 with 32-bit indexing) and
> this is what I see when Octave starts.  The startup message is truncated
> to 14 columns.
>
> Thinking there could be some init file issue, I tried removing the
> ~/.config directory with the same results.
>
> Text entered at the command prompt and output from commands are not
> truncated, just the startup message.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this?  I've never seen
> this problem before.

What happens when switching back and forth between the various tabs just
after launch?  See if the full contents of "Command Window" comes back
with a redraw.  Also, you could close the File Browser, Workspace and
Command History windows, exit and relaunch to see if the missing section
is part of the Command Window or the main window (i.e., does the width
of the visible portion change with window size changes?).

Dan

On 11/29/2017 04:24 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> What happens when switching back and forth between the various tabs just
> after launch?  See if the full contents of "Command Window" comes back
> with a redraw.

It doesn't appear to be a redraw issue.

> Also, you could close the File Browser, Workspace and
> Command History windows, exit and relaunch to see if the missing section
> is part of the Command Window or the main window (i.e., does the width
> of the visible portion change with window size changes?).

Ah.  If I have more than one tab open in the part of the GUI that
normally displays the command, editor, documentation, and variable
editor widgets when Octave starts, the message is truncated.  I'm not
sure that this is relevant, but it appears to be truncated to
approximately the width of the GUI tab thing that is used for switching
between the widgets.  If only the command window is visible when Octave
starts, then no "switcher tab" is displayed and the message is not
truncated.  I wonder if somehow the initial width of the widget is set
to the width of the tab and that is used when the interpreter is
starting and displaying the message.  Hmm.

On 11/29/2017 03:45 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11/29/2017 04:24 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
[snip]

>> Also, you could close the File Browser, Workspace and Command History
>> windows, exit and relaunch to see if the missing section is part of
>> the Command Window or the main window (i.e., does the width of the
>> visible portion change with window size changes?).
>
> Ah.  If I have more than one tab open in the part of the GUI that
> normally displays the command, editor, documentation, and variable
> editor widgets when Octave starts, the message is truncated.  I'm not
> sure that this is relevant, but it appears to be truncated to
> approximately the width of the GUI tab thing that is used for switching
> between the widgets.  If only the command window is visible when Octave
> starts, then no "switcher tab" is displayed and the message is not
> truncated.  I wonder if somehow the initial width of the widget is set
> to the width of the tab and that is used when the interpreter is
> starting and displaying the message.  Hmm.

Good observation.  That sounds plausible.  Perhaps the Octave-core
thread and shell emulator need to be launched after the size of the
window is resolved by the final GUI layout.  Maybe the emulator is
drawing too early and all that Qt's Windows underlying framework can
resolve is that the window must be at least the size of the tab (i.e.,
it knows the minimum width but still not the maximum width).

Dan

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

PhilipNienhuis
John W. Eaton wrote

> See attached image.
>
> I installed one of the buildbot builds (w64 with 32-bit indexing) and
> this is what I see when Octave starts.  The startup message is truncated
> to 14 columns.
>
> Thinking there could be some init file issue, I tried removing the
> ~/.config directory with the same results.
>
> Text entered at the command prompt and output from commands are not
> truncated, just the startup message.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this?  I've never seen
> this problem before.

I first thought (as usual) that it was caused by something in my own
dev-octave or mxe-octave build tree (both are somewhat adapted locally), but
good to know that it is "officially confirmed".

Whatever the cause, it happened between 16 (still good) and 19 November
(truncated), because I have mxe-octave builds of those dates installed here
to check. My cross-builds are always based on the latest default branch.
tips

Philip

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

Rik-4
On 12/01/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated
From:
PhilipNienhuis [hidden email]
Date:
11/30/2017 10:06 AM
To:
[hidden email]
7bit
Message:
2

[...]

That's a very handy bracketing.  Looking through the Mercurial log, this cset seems to be the only one directed at windows.

changeset:   24275:e9fe31118542
user:        Torsten [hidden email]
date:        Sat Nov 18 11:50:16 2017 +0100
summary:     improve re-docking of a floating widget under windows

--Rik

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

Torsten-3
On 01.12.2017 23:03, Rik wrote:

>> Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated
>> From:
>> PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 11/30/2017 10:06 AM
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]

>> 7bit
>> Message:
>> 2
>>

>> John W. Eaton wrote
>>> See attached image.
>>>
>>> I installed one of the buildbot builds (w64 with 32-bit indexing) and
>>> this is what I see when Octave starts.  The startup message is truncated
>>> to 14 columns.
>>>
>>> Thinking there could be some init file issue, I tried removing the
>>> ~/.config directory with the same results.
>>>
>>> Text entered at the command prompt and output from commands are not
>>> truncated, just the startup message.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this?  I've never seen
>>> this problem before.
>>>
>> I first thought (as usual) that it was caused by something in my own
>> dev-octave or mxe-octave build tree (both are somewhat adapted locally), but
>> good to know that it is "officially confirmed".
>>
>> Whatever the cause, it happened between 16 (still good) and 19 November
>> (truncated), because I have mxe-octave builds of those dates installed here
>> to check. My cross-builds are always based on the latest default branch.
>> tips
>>
>> Philip
>
> That's a very handy bracketing.  Looking through the Mercurial log, this
> cset seems to be the only one directed at windows.
>
> changeset:   24275:e9fe31118542
> user:        Torsten <[hidden email]>
> date:        Sat Nov 18 11:50:16 2017 +0100
> summary:     improve re-docking of a floating widget under windows
>
> --Rik

I will have a look at this. The strange thing is that starting with

changeset:   24318:a17862b28f0d
user:        Torsten <[hidden email]>
date:        Mon Nov 27 20:38:35 2017 +0100
summary:     handle floating widgets on all platforms as done on windows
(bug #52378)

the new re-docking approach is used on all platforms. Are there any
observations of this effect on non-windows platforms so far?

Torsten

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

PhilipNienhuis
Torsten-3 wrote
> On 01.12.2017 23:03, Rik wrote:
>> On 12/01/2017 09:00 AM,

> octave-maintainers-request@

>  wrote:
>>> Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated
>>> From:
>>> PhilipNienhuis &lt;

> pr.nienhuis@

> &gt;
>>> Date:
>>> 11/30/2017 10:06 AM

> octave-maintainers@

> octave-maintainers@

> &gt;

> b56cf93a-b59f-2026-a309-62e8d5b7fa6a@

> &gt;

> b56cf93a-b59f-2026-a309-62e8d5b7fa6a@

> &gt;

> 1512065163626-0.post@.nabble

>>> Message:
>>> 2
>>>

>>> John W. Eaton wrote

>>> I first thought (as usual) that it was caused by something in my own
>>> dev-octave or mxe-octave build tree (both are somewhat adapted locally),
>>> but
>>> good to know that it is "officially confirmed".
>>>
>>> Whatever the cause, it happened between 16 (still good) and 19 November
>>> (truncated), because I have mxe-octave builds of those dates installed
>>> here
>>> to check. My cross-builds are always based on the latest default branch.
>>> tips
>>>
>>> Philip
>>
>> That's a very handy bracketing.  Looking through the Mercurial log, this
>> cset seems to be the only one directed at windows.
>>
>> changeset:   24275:e9fe31118542
>> user:        Torsten &lt;

> mttl@

> &gt;
>> date:        Sat Nov 18 11:50:16 2017 +0100
>> summary:     improve re-docking of a floating widget under windows
>>
>> --Rik
>
> I will have a look at this. The strange thing is that starting with
>
> changeset:   24318:a17862b28f0d
> user:        Torsten &lt;

> mttl@

> &gt;
> date:        Mon Nov 27 20:38:35 2017 +0100
> summary:     handle floating widgets on all platforms as done on windows
> (bug #52378)
>
> the new re-docking approach is used on all platforms. Are there any
> observations of this effect on non-windows platforms so far?

Remarkably, when increasing the terminal font size from 11 to 15 (and
restarting Octave), the entire width of the terminal window is used again
(and the text is truncated to the right terminal window margin).

Resetting font size to 13, the text seems truncated to the limits of the 15
pt. font in the previous step, but much wider then in JWE's picture.

Finally, resetting font size to 11 gives back the 14 char width truncation
reported by JWE and seen by me.

In the end, with 12 pt character size (Courier New) it looks reasonably good
again (no truncation AFAICS).

I tried with some other fonts but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hmmm, looks like a typical case of "go figure"

Philip

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

Torsten-3

>>> I first thought (as usual) that it was caused by something in my own
>>> dev-octave or mxe-octave build tree (both are somewhat adapted locally), but
>>> good to know that it is "officially confirmed".
>>>
>>> Whatever the cause, it happened between 16 (still good) and 19 November
>>> (truncated), because I have mxe-octave builds of those dates installed here
>>> to check. My cross-builds are always based on the latest default branch.
>>> tips
>>>
>>> Philip
>>
>> That's a very handy bracketing.  Looking through the Mercurial log, this
>> cset seems to be the only one directed at windows.
>>
>> changeset:   24275:e9fe31118542
>> user:        Torsten <[hidden email]>
>> date:        Sat Nov 18 11:50:16 2017 +0100
>> summary:     improve re-docking of a floating widget under windows
>>
>> --Rik
>
> I will have a look at this. The strange thing is that starting with
>
> changeset:   24318:a17862b28f0d
> user:        Torsten <[hidden email]>
> date:        Mon Nov 27 20:38:35 2017 +0100
> summary:     handle floating widgets on all platforms as done on windows
> (bug #52378)
>
> the new re-docking approach is used on all platforms. Are there any
> observations of this effect on non-windows platforms so far?
>
> Torsten

I have pushed changeset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/222addbadf46
which fixes the issue on my Win7 system.

Torsten

Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

PhilipNienhuis
Torsten-3 wrote

>>> That's a very handy bracketing.  Looking through the Mercurial log, this
>>> cset seems to be the only one directed at windows.
>>>
>>> changeset:   24275:e9fe31118542
>>> user:        Torsten &lt;

> mttl@

> &gt;
>>> date:        Sat Nov 18 11:50:16 2017 +0100
>>> summary:     improve re-docking of a floating widget under windows
>>>
>>> --Rik
>>
>> I will have a look at this. The strange thing is that starting with
>>
>> changeset:   24318:a17862b28f0d
>> user:        Torsten &lt;

> mttl@

> &gt;
>> date:        Mon Nov 27 20:38:35 2017 +0100
>> summary:     handle floating widgets on all platforms as done on windows
>> (bug #52378)
>>
>> the new re-docking approach is used on all platforms. Are there any
>> observations of this effect on non-windows platforms so far?
>>
>> Torsten
>
> I have pushed changeset
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/222addbadf46
> which fixes the issue on my Win7 system.

Unfortunately the cset doesn't fix the issue on either one of my development
boxes.

Philip

On 04.12.2017 15:38, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

>> I have pushed changeset
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/222addbadf46
>> which fixes the issue on my Win7 system.
>
> Unfortunately the cset doesn't fix the issue on either one of my development
> boxes.

Philipp, do you mean the truncation at startup or when changing the
terminal fonts (or both)?

Torsten

Torsten wrote:

> On 04.12.2017 15:38, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>
>>> I have pushed changeset
>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/222addbadf46
>>> which fixes the issue on my Win7 system.
>>
>> Unfortunately the cset doesn't fix the issue on either one of my development
>> boxes.
>
> Philipp, do you mean the truncation at startup or when changing the
> terminal fonts (or both)?

Truncation at startup.

What I see now is that font size doesn't make any difference, the
startup message is consistently truncated to 13 char width (before your
fix it was 14 characters).

It looks like once he terminal font size is big enough to reach beyond
the right limit of the terminal, even with just a period, the truncation
is over.
Decreasing font size again so that the startup message fits within the
screen limits and the truncation is back at 13 chars.

Enigmatic...

Philip