Windows Release Notes problems

Rik-4
Is anyone else seeing something funny with the Release Notes on Windows?

If I choose News->Release Notes I get the NEWS file, but there is a chunk
of it missing in the middle.

** A known bug in Qt (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55357) is
    addressed by limiting GUI sub-panel relocation capabilities for Qt
    versions in the range >= 5.6.1 and  quadcc (f, a, b, [0, tol])

    A warning that a single tolerance input is now interpreted as an
    absolute tolerance will be issued in Octave versions 4.4 and 5,
    after which it will be removed.  The warning has ID
    "Octave:quadcc:RelTol-conversion" and can be disabled with

It jumps from talking about a Qt bug directly to changes in quadcc.

If I type 'news' in the Command Window then I get the complete file.

--Rik

Re: Windows Release Notes problems

Avinoam
Rik-4 wrote

> Is anyone else seeing something funny with the Release Notes on Windows?
>
> If I choose News->Release Notes I get the NEWS file, but there is a chunk
> of it missing in the middle.
>
> ** A known bug in Qt (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55357) is
>     addressed by limiting GUI sub-panel relocation capabilities for Qt
>     versions in the range >= 5.6.1 and  quadcc (f, a, b, [0, tol])
>
>     A warning that a single tolerance input is now interpreted as an
>     absolute tolerance will be issued in Octave versions 4.4 and 5,
>     after which it will be removed.  The warning has ID
>     "Octave:quadcc:RelTol-conversion" and can be disabled with
>
> It jumps from talking about a Qt bug directly to changes in quadcc.
>
> If I type 'news' in the Command Window then I get the complete file.
>
> --Rik

Checking release candidate on Win-10, I see the same problem you have
described.

Avinoam

Re: Windows Release Notes problems

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:55:31 -0700, Rik wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing something funny with the Release Notes on Windows?
>
> If I choose News->Release Notes I get the NEWS file, but there is a chunk
> of it missing in the middle.

I see the same thing on Debian.

The chunk of NEWS that is missing starts with a '<' character and ends
with a '>' character, so maybe some HTML escaping is needed to render
that correctly.

On 04/13/2018 12:38 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:55:31 -0700, Rik wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing something funny with the Release Notes on Windows?
>>
>> If I choose News->Release Notes I get the NEWS file, but there is a chunk
>> of it missing in the middle.
> I see the same thing on Debian.
>
> The chunk of NEWS that is missing starts with a '<' character and ends
> with a '>' character, so maybe some HTML escaping is needed to render
> that correctly.

I filed a bug report here: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?53642.

I agree, the Qt reader probably needs to treat this file as plain text
rather than HTML.

--Rik