actx reading from IBA's .dat file

tomkut
I wonder if anyone would be able to help with using IBA's library for reading
their .dat files, created for matlab. When I run a simple example it throws
the below error:
error: com_invoke: property/method invocation on the COM object failed with
error `0x8002000e'

The error comes up when running a read data query.

Re: actx reading from IBA's .dat file

Przemek Klosowski-7
On 09/19/2018 07:19 AM, tomkut wrote:
> I wonder if anyone would be able to help with using IBA's library for reading
> their .dat files, created for matlab. When I run a simple example it throws
> the below error:
> error: com_invoke: property/method invocation on the COM object failed with
> error `0x8002000e'
>
> The error comes up when running a read data query.
So it looks like the matlab IBA library is linking to IBA's binary
reader (a Windows COM shared library) that doesn't run in Octave. You
could investigate what does the error mean (I've found some indication
that it may have something to do with bad parameter count), but since
there doesn't seem to be any source or documentation available from IBA,
it may be difficult.

I would contact IBA and ask them for a recommendation---maybe they
provide some specs or sample source code that you could use.

Alternatively, you could try to roll your own---the file seems to have
an ascii header with what looks like metadata, followed by binary data
section. I couldn't figure out the layout of the binary on a quick look,
because I don't know what you put in your sample file---but you could
create several short .dat files with known content (maybe one with one
channel containing 10 values from 1 to 10, another one with one channel
and values 1 to 20, then one with two channels containing 1 to 10 and 11
to 20) and see if you can see the pattern in the binary section.

It's easy to read the binary in octave using fopen("Test.dat",'r') and
d=fread(3,'*uint8');
so if they don't use some fancy compression or data structuring, it may
end up being simple.

Re: actx reading from IBA's .dat file

tomkut
Przemek Klosowski-7 wrote
> ...but since
> there doesn't seem to be any source or documentation available from IBA,
> it may be difficult.
>
> I would contact IBA and ask them for a recommendation---maybe they
> provide some specs or sample source code that you could use.
>
> ...so if they don't use some fancy compression or data structuring, it may
> end up being simple.

all documentation I have on the specific method is that it returns float and
variant. IBA is secretive (read protective) about their products. Perhaps
they don't have patents.

Their .dat files do compress data.

I thought, if the code works in matlab, perhaps there is a way to make it
work in octave.