Quantcast

algebra in octave?

Huub van Niekerk
Hi,

I'm practising maths for univ. and wonder if I can octave for "simple"
algebra like 3a³+b²? From what I read in the online manual about
algebra, it's matrix related.

Thanks.

Re: algebra in octave?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On 17/02/2008, Huub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm practising maths for univ. and wonder if I can octave for "simple"
> algebra like 3a³+b²?

Well, if by "algebra" you mean Serge Lang's book, then, no, Octave
isn't the best choice for that. ;-)

More seriously, I think you mean symbolic manipulations. You want to
type something like "expand( (a+b)^2);" and be told "a^2 + 2ab + b^2".
In that case, I recommend you look at Maxima[1] or go whole hog and
look at Sage[2], which is an interface to both Maxima and Octave and
does many other things of it is own.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

[1] http://maxima.sf.net
[2] http://www.sagemath.org

Re: algebra in octave?

Sergei Steshenko

--- Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/02/2008, Huub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm practising maths for univ. and wonder if I can octave for "simple"
> > algebra like 3a³+b²?
>
> Well, if by "algebra" you mean Serge Lang's book, then, no, Octave
> isn't the best choice for that. ;-)
>
> More seriously, I think you mean symbolic manipulations. You want to
> type something like "expand( (a+b)^2);" and be told "a^2 + 2ab + b^2".
> In that case, I recommend you look at Maxima[1] or go whole hog and
> look at Sage[2], which is an interface to both Maxima and Octave and
> does many other things of it is own.
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.
>
> [1] http://maxima.sf.net
> [2] http://www.sagemath.org

I think "symbolic" package might do what you need - it uses "ginac" as its
engine.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/