cd in octave and gnuplot

Rolf Schirmacher

Hello everybody,

we encounter a little "problem" when changing the path in octave.
Using the cd command changes the path in octave but DOES NOT do so for
the gnuplot plotting process. As a result, the data are read and
written from an to the changed location but plots are still written to
the startup location of the gunplot process.

Is there any way to tell the new path to the gnuplot process so that
the plot output is written to the appropiate directory? Is there
perhaps a chance to get a consistent behavior in future versions of
octave?

Thanks for any help,

rolf

Rolf Schirmacher Tel. +49 551 39 7733
III. Physikalisches Institut e-mail [hidden email]
Universit"at G"ottingen [hidden email]
B"urgerstra"se 42 - 44 [hidden email]
D - 37073 G"ottingen

Re: cd in octave and gnuplot

Vinayak Dutt
#
#Hello everybody,
#
#we encounter a little "problem" when changing the path in octave.
#Using the cd command changes the path in octave but DOES NOT do so for
#the gnuplot plotting process. As a result, the data are read and
#written from an to the changed location but plots are still written to
#the startup location of the gunplot process.
#
#Is there any way to tell the new path to the gnuplot process so that
#the plot output is written to the appropiate directory? Is there
#perhaps a chance to get a consistent behavior in future versions of
#octave?
#

 It looks as if one will have to execute cd on gnuplot also when one executes
cd on octave. I guess the cd command could be modified such that if gnuplot
has been already forked, then it will also send cd command to the gnuplot
process.

In current implementation, you could stop the gnuplot process before doing
cd by using closeplot command, and, then later restarting gnuplot after the
cd command. This way the newly started gnuplot process will have the
new directory as its parent directory.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * ex-graduate student, ultrasound research
 * mayo graduate school, rochester mn
 *
 * e-mail: [hidden email]
 *         [hidden email]
 *         [hidden email]
 *
 */
#include "disclaimer.h"

Re: cd in octave and gnuplot

John W. Eaton-6

:
:  It looks as if one will have to execute cd on gnuplot also when one executes
: cd on octave. I guess the cd command could be modified such that if gnuplot
: has been already forked, then it will also send cd command to the gnuplot
: process.

This problem will be fixed in the next release.