configure --help

Rik-4
The last lines from running configure --help are

Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.

The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?

Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
Any reason?

--Rik

Re: configure --help

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 09:34:52 -0800, Rik wrote:
> The last lines from running configure --help are
>
> Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
> GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
>
> The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
> about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?

We can change this one to whatever we want. I think it's best the way it
is now, it should help direct users to get help or report bugs, which
are often conflated.

> Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
> Any reason?

The last is completely under the control of Autoconf, so it will change
when Autoconf 2.70 is released.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/diff/lib/autoconf/general.m4?id=d3dcd5895d64

If we really want to, we could use the bootstrap_epilogue function hook
to postprocess the output of Autoconf, but I would rather leave it and
wait for Autoconf 2.70.

Re: configure --help

On 2/5/19 12:34 PM, Rik wrote:
> The last lines from running configure --help are
>
> Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
> GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
>
> The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
> about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?

Should it say "How to report bugs: <...> ?

I still think it should link to the how to report bugs page instead of
directly to a form to submit a bug report.  Call me crazy, but I have
some hope that people will read at least some of that info and maybe
submit better reports because of it.

> Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
> Any reason?

No, if https works, then we should list that.

Re: configure --help

siko1056
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 7:13 PM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
The last lines from running configure --help are

Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.

The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?

Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
Any reason?

--Rik

You are right Rik.  Those URLs and strings might get an update for the release:

GNU Octave home page: <https://octave.org/>.
For reporting bugs see: <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
General help using GNU software: <https://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.

For me there is not reason not to use https://www.gnu.org/help/gethelp.html it work fine.

Best,
Kai

Re: configure --help

Rik-4
On 02/05/2019 10:52 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 2/5/19 12:34 PM, Rik wrote:
>> The last lines from running configure --help are
>>
>> Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
>> GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
>> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
>>
>> The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
>> about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?
>
> Should it say "How to report bugs: <...> ?

Yes, this is what I had in mind.  I didn't mean that we should remove it or
point it directly to the savannah bug tracker.

--Rik

> I still think it should link to the how to report bugs page instead of
> directly to a form to submit a bug report.  Call me crazy, but I have
> some hope that people will read at least some of that info and maybe
> submit better reports because of it.
>
>> Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
>> Any reason?
>
> No, if https works, then we should list that.
>
> jwe

Re: configure --help

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:50:44 -0800, Rik wrote:
> On 02/05/2019 10:52 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> > Should it say "How to report bugs: <...> ?
>
> Yes, this is what I had in mind.  I didn't mean that we should remove it or
> point it directly to the savannah bug tracker.

This text is also completely under the control of Autoconf, there is no
opportunity to override it. I don't think it's worth trying to
postprocess the configure script just to get some custom label here that
differs from every other Autoconf-based project out there.

  https://gitlab.com/GNU/Autoconf/blob/master/lib/autoconf/general.m4#L1126

It does make sense to review these things and make them consistent where
we can, thank you for doing so, but these labels are hard coded in
Autoconf. You could try getting it changed or making it configurable in
Autoconf.