debugging graphics

marco atzeri-2
On Cygwin and octave 4.4.x both the fltk and qt graphic interface
are useless as there is a mismatch between the data and the plot
windows. The upper portion and the right portion of the data are
missing in the plot. See attached for clarification
In addition both interface seem unresponsive after the plot

Moreover for both, the print operation freezes octave
after a GL2PS warning.

print -djpg figure-fltk.jpg
GL2PS warning: Unknown token in buffer

Question: how I can debug this ?

I would like to clean this problem before 5.0 release

It is of course possible that the problem
is in the X system or relevan libraries or in my new laptop graphic.

Regards
Marco

---

octave-p-fltk.png (23K) Download Attachment
octave-p-qt.png (23K) Download Attachment
figure-gnuplot.jpg (54K) Download Attachment

> On Cygwin and octave 4.4.x both the fltk and qt graphic interface
> are useless as there is a mismatch between the data and the plot
> windows. The upper portion and the right portion of the data are
> missing in the plot. See attached for clarification
> In addition both interface seem unresponsive after the plot
>
> Moreover for both, the print operation freezes octave
> after a GL2PS warning.
>
> print -djpg figure-fltk.jpg
> GL2PS warning: Unknown token in buffer
>
> Question: how I can debug this ?
>
> I would like to clean this problem before 5.0 release
>
> It is of course possible that the problem
> is in the X system or relevan libraries or in my new laptop graphic.

There have been some changes related to HiDPI monitors for Octave 5.
Are you able to compile the current stable branch and check whether the problem still persists?

Markus

Am 27.12.2018 um 13:48 schrieb "Markus Mützel":

>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2018 um 08:23 Uhr
>> Von: "Marco Atzeri" <[hidden email]>
>> An: "Octave Maintainers List" <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: debugging graphics
>>
>> On Cygwin and octave 4.4.x both the fltk and qt graphic interface
>> are useless as there is a mismatch between the data and the plot
>> windows. The upper portion and the right portion of the data are
>> missing in the plot. See attached for clarification
>> In addition both interface seem unresponsive after the plot
>>
>> Moreover for both, the print operation freezes octave
>> after a GL2PS warning.
>>
>> print -djpg figure-fltk.jpg
>> GL2PS warning: Unknown token in buffer
>>
>> Question: how I can debug this ?
>>
>> I would like to clean this problem before 5.0 release
>>
>> It is of course possible that the problem
>> is in the X system or relevan libraries or in my new laptop graphic.
>>

> There have been some changes related to HiDPI monitors for Octave 5.
> Are you able to compile the current stable branch and check whether the problem still persists?
>
> Markus

Hi Markus,

currently I can build not due to follow up of
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53627

Anyway I found the issue is related to the Intel graphics drivers

It does not happen on other cygwin system and does not
show when I don't use the X wgl acceleration.

Regards
Marco

---

> currently I can build not due to follow up of
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53627
>
> Anyway I found the issue is related to the Intel graphics drivers
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-12/msg00222.html
>
> It does not happen on other cygwin system and does not
> show when I don't use the X wgl acceleration.

Happy to read that you found the cause of the issue.

Wrt compiling Octave 5 on cygwin: Do you still see the same error if you configure with "--enable-link-all-dependencies"?

Markus

Re: debugging graphics

marco atzeri-2
Am 27.12.2018 um 16:10 schrieb "Markus Mützel":

> Wrt compiling Octave 5 on cygwin: Do you still see the same error if you configure with "--enable-link-all-dependencies"?

thanks for the hint.
With that additional options it works fine

> Markus

Regards
Marco

---

> Am 27.12.2018 um 16:10 schrieb "Markus Mützel":
>

> > Wrt compiling Octave 5 on cygwin: Do you still see the same error if you configure with "--enable-link-all-dependencies"?
>
> thanks for the hint.
> With that additional options it works fine

Maybe we should enable that option by default for cygwin (and possibly other systems).
Can you open a new bug report on savannah for this issue (instead of hijacking the other one which was about to be closed since the original issue is fixed).

Is your original issue (mis-scaled graphics) still present with a build from the stable branch?

Markus

Re: debugging graphics

marco atzeri-2
Am 27.12.2018 um 22:46 schrieb "Markus Mützel":

>>> Wrt compiling Octave 5 on cygwin: Do you still see the same error if you configure with "--enable-link-all-dependencies"?
>>
>> thanks for the hint.
>> With that additional options it works fine
>>
> Maybe we should enable that option by default for cygwin (and possibly other systems).
> Can you open a new bug report on savannah for this issue (instead of hijacking the other one which was about to be closed since the original issue is fixed).

Noted.
All platforms requiring "-no-undefined" will have the same problem.

> Is your original issue (mis-scaled graphics) still present with a build from the stable branch?

the miscaling is due to the Intel graphics driver.
running X with "-nowgl" solved the problem for both octave versions.

> Markus

Tschüss
Marco

---

> >> thanks for the hint.
> >> With that additional options it works fine
> >>
> > Maybe we should enable that option by default for cygwin (and possibly other systems).
> > Can you open a new bug report on savannah for this issue (instead of hijacking the other one which was about to be closed since the original issue is fixed).
>
> Noted.
> All platforms requiring "-no-undefined" will have the same problem.

I opened a bug report for this on savannah:

Feel free to add any relevant information there.

Markus