.desktop filename

Colin Macdonald-2
Why does Octave install "www.octave.org-octave.deskop" instead of just
"octave.desktop"?  Is it intended/desired?  I don't see other projects
doing that.

Background: I've been tinkering with making Octave-Force packages appear
in Gnome Software as add-ons to Octave: each package will need
metainfo.xml with "<extends>octave.desktop</extends>" but currently it
needs to be "<extends>www.octave.org-octave.desktop</extends>"...

thanks,
Colin

Re: .desktop filename

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 00:49:32 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> Why does Octave install "www.octave.org-octave.deskop" instead of just
> "octave.desktop"?  Is it intended/desired?  I don't see other projects
> doing that.

The reason is because of the freedesktop standards [1] that say that
each desktop entry can have a "vendor" prefix. On my system I see a
handful of debian-*.desktop, gnome-*.desktop, and libreoffice-*.desktop
files that are following that convention. We happen to use
www.octave.org as the vendor string.

However, a different standard [2] (maybe superseding the first) says
that a reverse DNS style prefix should be used, so maybe it should now
be org.octave.octave.desktop.

[1]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html
[2]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

Re: .desktop filename

Colin Macdonald-2
On 02/01/16 06:45, Mike Miller wrote:
> The reason is because of the freedesktop standards

Ok thanks.

> that a reverse DNS style prefix should be used, so maybe it should now
> be org.octave.octave.desktop.

I will use www.octave.org-octave.desktop for now: can change if we adopt
the reverse DNS style.

Colin