developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

12

developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
I am very interested in writing delaunayTriangulation class for Octave. I have already wrote functions that create a list of neighbors for all triangles from delaunayn(), functions which sort the neighbors list in different ways, computes the surface vectors for all triangles, including surface area and direction, volume of the triangles, and wrote functions that plot the mesh with special numerical labeling for debugging purposes. These functions work in any dimension.

The next step is to package all of these functions into a class for Octave users, which I need help in finding documentation in learning how to do this.

I am a physics student with good math skills, moderate documenting skills and moderate programming skills. I created these functions from my knowledge of math without looking up the source code for Matlab.

I like Octave's "T = delaunay( p )" for constructing triangular meshes from a given set of points "p," but I am confused on how to call all neighbors for a specified triangle list "T." The example Octave code below uses a crude function I wrote that computes all neighbors in a O(n^2) number of steps.

octave:15> [(1:size(T,1))' T neighbors ]
ans =

   1   3   2   1   0   4   2
   2   5   3   2   1   3   5
   3   5   4   2   0   2   6
   4   7   3   1   1   0   5
   5   5   7   3   4   2   7
   6   6   5   4   3   8   7
   7   6   5   7   5   9   6
   8   6   4   8   0   9   6
   9   6   7   8   0   8   7

The first column contains the numerically ordered triangles. The second through fourth columns are the numerically labeled points contained by the triangles computed from T = delaunay(p). The fifth through seventh columns are the numerically labeled triangles who are neighbors to the specified ordered triangles.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

c.-2

On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:38, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am very interested in writing delaunayTriangulation class for Octave. I have already wrote functions that create a list of neighbors for all triangles from delaunayn(), functions which sort the neighbors list in different ways, computes the surface vectors for all triangles, including surface area and direction, volume of the triangles, and wrote functions that plot the mesh with special numerical labeling for debugging purposes. These functions work in any dimension.

Have you looked at the msh*m_geometric_properties and msh*m_topological_properties in teh package msh?
They essentially implement the same functions you mention.

> The next step is to package all of these functions into a class for Octave users, which I need help in finding documentation in learning how to do this.

To do this in a Matlab compatible way you should be working with the bleading edge development version of Octave, wich implements classdef style OOP in the Octave interpreted language.
So as a first step you should try to build the default branch of Octave sources.

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

c.-2
Please don't top-post, i.e. add your replies
below the previous message, not above, and keep
the list in CC as others could want to take part in the conversation.

On 10 Feb 2014, at 19:52, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for showing me the msh package. I will look into it to understand it before trying to invent the same wheel all over again.
> But, if you feel I may have something useful, then let me know and I will get to work on it.

It would be a very useful contribution if you could try to make the implementation
Matlab compatible, implementing the triangulation [1] and delaunayTriangulation [2]
classes.

You said you are a student, you could consider proposing this as a GSoC project [3,4]?

> I was surprised to see that Octave did not have the delaunayTriangulation class that Matlab uses, but it looks Octave use something complete different that what I had anticipated.

The main reason for that is probably that those classes require classdef, and classdef
implementation is not yet complete in Octave.

> Thanks.

c.

[1] http://www.mathworks.it/it/help/matlab/ref/triangulationclass.html
[2] http://www.mathworks.it/it/help/matlab/ref/delaunaytriangulationclass.html
[3] http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas
[4] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

On 10 Feb 2014, at 21:39, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am having trouble understanding what the first sentence says in your latest email.

I'll split the sentence into two parts and try to calrify them separately, then.

As for this first part:

> >Please don't top-post, i.e. add your replies
> >below the previous message, not above,

If you google the term "top-posting" you will find many
articles that explain what that means.

This one, for example : http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
is quite concise but looks clear enough to me.

As for this second part:

> and keep
> >the list in CC as others could want to take part in the conversation.

It was meant to point out that, while you sent your message to me only,
it is clear from its contents that that you expected others to be able
to read it.

If that is the case, you should hit the "reply all" button in your
email client rather than the "reply" button when replying to a message on
the mailing list, so that your reply is sent to all list subscribers and
not just to the author of the message you are replying to.

I hope this helps,
c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
Let me know if I have implemented the correct email writing style.

> >You said you are a student, you could consider proposing this as a GSoC project [3,4]?

I have created a GSOC profile account and I would be very interested
in submitting a proposed project application for triangulation [1] and
delaunayTriangulation [2]. The deadline for the Mentoring organization
application is 14 February 19:00 UTC. I do not have a mentor, and I am
not sure if there is enough time to get everything ready to submit on
time. Would you like to act as a mentor or recommend someone else. My
username for https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
is "linuxfreebird" . By the way...

what does that mean? Thanks.

On 10 Feb 2014, at 23:38, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me know if I have implemented the correct email writing style.

Almost.

Your reply to this message uses the correct style, but everything
you posted to me personally has not yet reached the list.
You may want to post your introduction and presentation to the list again.

> I have created a GSOC profile account and I would be very interested
> in submitting a proposed project application for triangulation [1] and
> delaunayTriangulation [2].

If so, when the time comes, you should consider preparing a detailed description
of what you intend to implement and how you intend to implement it then
post it on the melange website and on the Octave wiki.

> The deadline for the Mentoring organization
> application is 14 February 19:00 UTC. I do not have a mentor, and I am
> not sure if there is enough time to get everything ready to submit on
> time.

That deadline is not for you it is the deadline for Octave to apply with Google
for GSoC slots. Mentoring organizations should be announced by end of February.

If Octave is among them this year you can start discussing your intended project
on this list after that.

>>> [3,4]
>
> what does that mean? Thanks.

These numbers between square brackets were references to items
in the list of links that I had added at bottom of my
previous email.

Of course, if you remove the links, making references to them in
the text of your email appears quite obscure.

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

José Luis García Pallero
About the 2D Delaunay triangulation generation, there exist the
Triangle library (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html), which
is by far the fastest implementation available. It permits also the
generation of constrained triangulation (qhull has not such
possibility AFAIK) and returns the list of vertices for each triangle,
as qhull does. The problem is that Triangle is not free software. The
last version was released on 2005. I have written a couple of times to
the author asking about the possibility to release Triangle as free
software, but I have not obtained any answer. Maybe some of the Octave
core developers could ask again about such possibility in order to use
Triangle in GNU Octave

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Richard Crozier
On 11/02/2014 11:45, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> About the 2D Delaunay triangulation generation, there exist the
> Triangle library (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html), which
> is by far the fastest implementation available. It permits also the
> generation of constrained triangulation (qhull has not such
> possibility AFAIK) and returns the list of vertices for each triangle,
> as qhull does. The problem is that Triangle is not free software. The
> last version was released on 2005. I have written a couple of times to
> the author asking about the possibility to release Triangle as free
> software, but I have not obtained any answer. Maybe some of the Octave
> core developers could ask again about such possibility in order to use
> Triangle in GNU Octave

I have also contacted the author about Triangle to ask a technical
question, but he did not respond, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I would
actually suggest making the GPL gmsh (http://geuz.org/gmsh/) available
through the (largely undocumented) C++ API which they now provide. I
think the msh package is based on gmsh, but this would be a more direct
approach. Yet another dependency though. There is a python gmsh
interface that uses this.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

José Luis García Pallero

> On 11/02/2014 11:45, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>>
>> About the 2D Delaunay triangulation generation, there exist the
>> Triangle library (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html), which
>> is by far the fastest implementation available. It permits also the
>> generation of constrained triangulation (qhull has not such
>> possibility AFAIK) and returns the list of vertices for each triangle,
>> as qhull does. The problem is that Triangle is not free software. The
>> last version was released on 2005. I have written a couple of times to
>> the author asking about the possibility to release Triangle as free
>> software, but I have not obtained any answer. Maybe some of the Octave
>> core developers could ask again about such possibility in order to use
>> Triangle in GNU Octave
>>

> I have also contacted the author about Triangle to ask a technical question,
> but he did not respond, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I would actually suggest
> making the GPL gmsh (http://geuz.org/gmsh/) available through the (largely
> undocumented) C++ API which they now provide. I think the msh package is
> based on gmsh, but this would be a more direct approach. Yet another
> dependency though. There is a python gmsh interface that uses this.

Mmmm, I've discovered this new mail: [hidden email]
(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~jrs/61bs14/) It is not the same as the
old you can see in the Triangle page. I'll try again to ask him

> Richard

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.

After thinking about this coding issue for some time and going back to
our previous discussions, I have finally concluded that I am no help
to this project. It sounds like to me that the one and only reason why
Octave developers have not implemented class like functionality such
as [1] and [2] is because classdef does not exist, which means once
Octave developers have classdef complete they will immediately just
copy and paste their solutions for every missing class function from
Matlab to Octave, rendering me obsolete.

My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
[2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2014, at 23:38, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Let me know if I have implemented the correct email writing style.
>
> Almost.
>
> Your reply to this message uses the correct style, but everything
> you posted to me personally has not yet reached the list.
> You may want to post your introduction and presentation to the list again.
>
>> I have created a GSOC profile account and I would be very interested
>> in submitting a proposed project application for triangulation [1] and
>> delaunayTriangulation [2].
>
> If so, when the time comes, you should consider preparing a detailed description
> of what you intend to implement and how you intend to implement it then
> post it on the melange website and on the Octave wiki.
>
>> The deadline for the Mentoring organization
>> application is 14 February 19:00 UTC. I do not have a mentor, and I am
>> not sure if there is enough time to get everything ready to submit on
>> time.
>
> That deadline is not for you it is the deadline for Octave to apply with Google
> for GSoC slots. Mentoring organizations should be announced by end of February.
>
> If Octave is among them this year you can start discussing your intended project
> on this list after that.

>> what does that mean? Thanks.
>
> These numbers between square brackets were references to items
> in the list of links that I had added at bottom of my
> previous email.
>
> Of course, if you remove the links, making references to them in
> the text of your email appears quite obscure.
>
> c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

José Luis García Pallero

> On 11/02/2014 11:45, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>>
>> About the 2D Delaunay triangulation generation, there exist the
>> Triangle library (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html), which
>> is by far the fastest implementation available. It permits also the
>> generation of constrained triangulation (qhull has not such
>> possibility AFAIK) and returns the list of vertices for each triangle,
>> as qhull does. The problem is that Triangle is not free software. The
>> last version was released on 2005. I have written a couple of times to
>> the author asking about the possibility to release Triangle as free
>> software, but I have not obtained any answer. Maybe some of the Octave
>> core developers could ask again about such possibility in order to use
>> Triangle in GNU Octave
>>

> I have also contacted the author about Triangle to ask a technical question,
> but he did not respond, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I would actually suggest
> making the GPL gmsh (http://geuz.org/gmsh/) available through the (largely
> undocumented) C++ API which they now provide. I think the msh package is
> based on gmsh, but this would be a more direct approach. Yet another
> dependency though. There is a python gmsh interface that uses this.

Another possibility is to use the GNU Triangulated Surface library
(http://gts.sourceforge.net/). It permits also the generation of
constrained meshes. As a  bad issue, it is in general terribly slow,
and also is apparently discontinued since 2006

> Richard

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On 11 Feb 2014, at 12:58, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have also contacted the author about Triangle to ask a technical question, but he did not respond, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I would actually suggest making the GPL gmsh (http://geuz.org/gmsh/) available through the (largely undocumented) C++ API which they now provide.

> I think the msh package is based on gmsh,

Yes it allows to import/export meshes generated from gmsh and to invoke gmsh on a geometrical model to generate the mesh.

> but this would be a more direct approach. Yet another dependency though.

thanks to the ability to import FEnics meshes and thanks to the good selection of format conversion tools
provided by FEnics, msh can now handle directly or indirectly a good number of different mesh generator.

Therefore, I think it only makes sense to do new work on triangular/tetrahedral meshes if we want to do so in a Matlab
compatible way, which requires using classdef.

c.

On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:00, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.

You are top-posting again.

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Marius Schamschula-5

On Feb 11, 2014, at 7:44 AM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

gmsh also has the advantage that it is actively being developed...

However, when I see Delaunay triangulation mentioned, the first library that comes to mind is qhull <http://www.qhull.org/>. qhull is still out there, and has been used by octave in the past.

--
Marius Schamschula

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

José Luis García Pallero

> On Feb 11, 2014, at 7:44 AM, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> On 11/02/2014 11:45, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>

> About the 2D Delaunay triangulation generation, there exist the
> Triangle library (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html), which
> is by far the fastest implementation available. It permits also the
> generation of constrained triangulation (qhull has not such
> possibility AFAIK) and returns the list of vertices for each triangle,
> as qhull does. The problem is that Triangle is not free software. The
> last version was released on 2005. I have written a couple of times to
> the author asking about the possibility to release Triangle as free
> software, but I have not obtained any answer. Maybe some of the Octave
> core developers could ask again about such possibility in order to use
> Triangle in GNU Octave
>

> I have also contacted the author about Triangle to ask a technical question,
> but he did not respond, I wouldn't be too hopeful. I would actually suggest
> making the GPL gmsh (http://geuz.org/gmsh/) available through the (largely
> undocumented) C++ API which they now provide. I think the msh package is
> based on gmsh, but this would be a more direct approach. Yet another
> dependency though. There is a python gmsh interface that uses this.
>

> Another possibility is to use the GNU Triangulated Surface library
> (http://gts.sourceforge.net/). It permits also the generation of
> constrained meshes. As a  bad issue, it is in general terribly slow,
> and also is apparently discontinued since 2006
>

> Richard

> José Luis García Pallero
> [hidden email]
> (o<
> / / \
> V_/_
> Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!
>

> gmsh also has the advantage that it is actively being developed...
>
> However, when I see Delaunay triangulation mentioned, the first library that
> comes to mind is qhull <http://www.qhull.org/>. qhull is still out there,
> and has been used by octave in the past.

And what about CGAL (http://www.cgal.org/)?. AFAIK is well documented,
at least better than gmsh. And is GPL

> --
> Marius Schamschula

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:00, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
>> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.
>
> You are top-posting again.
>
> c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>To  c.
>>> Cc octave maintainers mailing list
>
> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.
>
>>>It would be a very useful contribution if you could try to make the implementation Matlab compatible, implementing the triangulation [1] and delaunayTriangulation [2] classes. The main reason for that is probably that those classes require classdef, and classdef
> implementation is not yet complete in Octave.
>
> After thinking about this coding issue for some time and going back to
> our previous discussions, I have finally concluded that I am no help
> to this project. It sounds like to me that the one and only reason why
> Octave developers have not implemented class like functionality such
> as [1] and [2] is because classdef does not exist, which means once
> Octave developers have classdef complete they will immediately just
> copy and paste their solutions for every missing class function from
> Matlab to Octave, rendering me obsolete.
>
> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.
>
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:00, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
>>> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.
>>
>> You are top-posting again.
>>
>> c.

Hi linuxfreebird,

I followed your conversation and it seems to me that the msh project
could benefit with contributions from somebody with your expertise and
interest.
Would you like to re-define your contributions to make the msh package
better? It would be awesome to have a meshing package fast, compatible
and extendable.
I think you are not "obsolete", not at all, I am sure we have needs
for your skills.

Do you have other ideas you could work on?

@Carlo: How good are we for calculating Voronoi diagrams?
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Voronoi-Diagrams.html
Is there any extension we need here?

On 11 Feb 2014, at 16:39, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After thinking about this coding issue for some time and going back to
> our previous discussions, I have finally concluded that I am no help
> to this project. It sounds like to me that the one and only reason why
> Octave developers have not implemented class like functionality such
> as [1] and [2] is because classdef does not exist,

classdef does exist in Octave and, although it is still under development, but I think
now would be a good time to start testing it by attempting the implementation
of a reasonably complex project based on it.

> which means once
> Octave developers have classdef complete they will immediately just
> copy and paste their solutions for every missing class function from
> Matlab to Octave, rendering me obsolete.

I really wish it really were a matter of just cut and paste!

I actually think a matlab compatible implementation of the
delaunayTriangulation class would be a quite complex project.

To make it more complete I would suggest adding the implementaion of the
closely related scatteredInterpolant class:
http://www.mathworks.it/it/help/matlab/ref/scatteredinterpolantclass.html

> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.

Most projects proposed for Octave (exept maybe those related to the GUI)
do require a good mathematical background, but to produce useful results
you should have (or be willing to acquire) some non trivial software
engineering / development / collaboration skills.

c.

On 11 Feb 2014, at 19:38, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would you like to re-define your contributions to make the msh package
> better? It would be awesome to have a meshing package fast, compatible
> and extendable.

One thing that would be useful to add is better mesh refinement (possibly non-isotropic)
and mesh smoothing methods, and maybe a de-refinement method.

I have a student working on a standalone octree mesh generator based on p4est <http://www.p4est.org/>
interfacing that with Octave would also be an interestin project.

geometry preserving mesh refinement i.e. mapping boundary nodes to a CAD model would be another
great contribution.

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
I am still fighting with gmail trying to get the emails typed in the
correct format. If anyone can suggest methods, please send them to me.
Thank you both Juan Pablo Carbajal and Carlo Defalco for responding to
my emails.

> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.

>Most projects proposed for Octave (exept maybe those related to the GUI)
>do require a good mathematical background, but to produce useful results
>you should have (or be willing to acquire) some non trivial software
>engineering / development / collaboration skills.

Let me take a step back to reconstitute my beginnings. That statement
I made posted above was not well posed, which is my fault. I am very
interested in contributing to Octave, I am very interested in applying
my knowledge of mathematics and physics, and I am willing to learn the
required computer architecture programming material to make it happen.
12