doc feature no longer works

John Stensby
I am using Octave 4.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 7.  At the Octave user prompt, entering doc is supposed to start up a document viewer that displays the user-manual.  It worked at one time.  Now, entering doc does nothing - I'm back at the user prompt - like I never entered the phrase "doc".

Any help?

Re: doc feature no longer works

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:38 AM John Stensby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am using Octave 4.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 7.  At the Octave user prompt, entering doc is supposed to start up a document viewer that displays the user-manual.  It worked at one time.  Now, entering doc does nothing - I'm back at the user prompt - like I never entered the phrase "doc".

Any help?

It works for me.
Did you make a function named doc?
--
DASCertificate for 206392

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:57 AM Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:38 AM John Stensby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am using Octave 4.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 7.  At the Octave user prompt, entering doc is supposed to start up a document viewer that displays the user-manual.  It worked at one time.  Now, entering doc does nothing - I'm back at the user prompt - like I never entered the phrase "doc".

Any help?

It works for me.
Did you make a function named doc?

which doc gives me :
>> which doc
'doc' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/4.4.1-rc2/m/help/doc.m

--
DAS

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: doc feature no longer works

Ian McCallion
For me (Octave 4.4.1 on win10):

Using the GUI the doc command simply switches to the documentation pane, which is fine.

Using the CLI though the doc command goes a bit mad! It is clearly in a loop with the home page of the CLI version of the manual flashing rapidly on and off. Definitely something wrong.

Cheers... Ian

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 14:15, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:57 AM Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:38 AM John Stensby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am using Octave 4.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 7.  At the Octave user prompt, entering doc is supposed to start up a document viewer that displays the user-manual.  It worked at one time.  Now, entering doc does nothing - I'm back at the user prompt - like I never entered the phrase "doc".

Any help?

It works for me.
Did you make a function named doc?

which doc gives me :
>> which doc
'doc' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/4.4.1-rc2/m/help/doc.m

--
DAS

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: doc feature no longer works

avlas-2
El divendres, 31 d’agost de 2018, a les 9:32:04 EDT, Ian McCallion va escriure:

  For me (Octave 4.4.1 on win10):

  Using the GUI the doc command simply switches to the documentation pane,
  which is fine.

  Using the CLI though the doc command goes a bit mad! It is clearly in a
  loop with the home page of the CLI version of the manual flashing rapidly
  on and off. Definitely something wrong.

  Cheers... Ian

  On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 14:15, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

  > On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:57 AM Doug Stewart <[hidden email]>
  > wrote:
  >
  >>
  >>
  >> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:38 AM John Stensby <[hidden email]> wrote:
  >>
  >>> I am using Octave 4.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 7.  At the Octave user prompt,
  >>> entering doc is supposed to start up a document viewer that displays the
  >>> user-manual.  It worked at one time.  Now, entering doc does nothing - I'm
  >>> back at the user prompt - like I never entered the phrase "doc".
  >>>
  >>> Any help?
  >>>
  >>>
  >> It works for me.
  >> Did you make a function named doc?
  >>
  >
  > which doc gives me :
  > >> which doc
  > 'doc' is a function from the file
  > /usr/local/share/octave/4.4.1-rc2/m/help/doc.m

It works fine with the flatpak package, both in the gui and in the terminal. It may be a packaging error of some sort in windows. You may want to submit a bug (?)

a.

Re: doc feature no longer works

Ian McCallion
Have done so: