Quantcast

editing in octave 3.2.4

john
Hi ,
dear members

I have a problem for editing in octave.

When I write "edit" in the original directory when I start octave,

I get the error message"cannot find entrypoint -wtof in msvcrt.dll.

I maked some plots in 2-and 3dim and saved this as ps files and Pdf files,no problem.

I know I'm a beginner???

Kin  regards

Re: editing in octave 3.2.4

tmacchant
Hello

Sorry I cannot reproduce the error.
When I write "edit" in the original directory when I start octave,
notepad++ is successfully executed.

I have tested octave-3.2.4 (mingw32) on windows 7 HomePremium 64 bit.

Regards

Tatsuro
--- On Thu, 2011/7/14, john wrote:

> Hi ,
> dear members
>
> I have a problem for editing in octave.
>
> When I write "edit" in the original directory when I start octave,
>
> I get the error message"cannot find entrypoint -wtof in msvcrt.dll.
>
> I maked some plots in 2-and 3dim and saved this as ps files and Pdf files,no
> problem.
>
> I know I'm a beginner???
>
> KinĀ  regards

Re: editing in octave 3.2.4

Daryl
On 7/13/2011 1:51 PM, john wrote:

> Hi ,
> dear members
>
> I have a problem for editing in octave.
>
> When I write "edit" in the original directory when I start octave,
>
> I get the error message"cannot find entrypoint -wtof in msvcrt.dll.
>
> I maked some plots in 2-and 3dim and saved this as ps files and Pdf files,no
> problem.
>
> I know I'm a beginner???
>
> Kin  regards

I just went through this recently, so it's fresh on my mind.  My preferred
editor is gVim; you can adjust to your own taste.

1.  First, in your Octave installation find the file that corresponds to
this one on my machine:
C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc

In that file, add the following:
   setenv('HOME', 'c:\octave\local');
   cd ~/

You should, of course, change the path to whatever you want your Octave home
directory to be.  This is the directory that will be used for a simple
"edit" command, and where your local .octaverc file will go.

2.  In that HOME directory, create a .octaverc file with this in it:
   edit mode "async"
   edit editor "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Vim\\vim73\\gvim.exe %s"

   # search path
   addpath("~/octave");

The experts around here may refine this somewhat.  I am a beginner, and
these tips are from Hansen, "GNU Octave Beginner's Guide."

--
Daryl Lee
www.daryllee.com

Re: editing in octave 3.2.4

CdeMills
Another option is to run octave from within Emacs.

Goto http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/, slide a bit down up to "Obtaining Emacs", select the link, then look into the windows dir for a Windows native version. Another option is to install the version from Cygwin. Once emacs is launched, type the 'Esc' key, followed by x, then "run-octave" without quotes. You'll access a specific window directly interacting with octave. From there, you have all the bell and whistles of the Emacs editor, in particular the menu. Edit whatever file you like from there; Octave perform a check of the time it compiled each file with regard to their actual access time before launching any function. This way, recently modified files are re-compiled.

HTH

Pascal

Re: editing in octave 3.2.4

john

I downloaded emacs 23.3-bin -i386 zip.When I start there appear two windows a dos-like window

and the windows for emac.

I proceed as follows I edit a file in emacs en then copie and paste it in the windows of octave and run.

Is this the correct manner

So everything goes good.

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards

Re: editing in octave 3.2.4

CdeMills
john wrote
I proceed as follows I edit a file in emacs en then copie and paste it in the windows of octave and run.
It works indeed, but it requires user interaction. One of the first virtue of programmers should be laziness. When you find yourself repeating over and over the same commands, put them in a file with the .m extension. Just typing the name of this file (without .m) in the octave window executes all the commands in the file. Furthermore, you can transform this set of commands in a function, accepting parameters and returning some result, with the advantage of having local variables. Look in the manual for the topic "Functions and scripts".

Regards

Pascal