fminunc error

Gaël de Lannoy
   Hello everybody

I have recently quit matlab for octave. I am trying to use fminunc in a
matlab-like style and get the following error:

error: unknown option 'maxit'
error: evaluating if command near line 136, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 135, column 3
error: evaluating while command near line 116, column 1
error: called from `read_options' in file
`/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/miscellaneous/read_options.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 157, column 5
error: called from `minimize' in file
`/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/optim/minimize.m'
error: evaluating if command near line 125, column 1
error: called from `fminunc' in file
`/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/optim/fminunc.m'
error: called from `mycrfchaintrain' in file `mychaintrain.m'
error: evaluating for command near line 71, column 5

My function mychaintrain contains this call to fminunc():

options = optimset('GradObj', 'on', 'Diagnostics', 'off',
'Display','off', 'MaxIter', 20, 'TolFun', 1e-10, 'TolX', 1e-10);
[w, finalErr, exitFlag, out] = fminunc(@mychainErrAndGrad, w, options,
features, labels, C);

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

Gael

Re: fminunc error

CdeMills
Hello Gael,

2.1.57 is GROSSLY outdated. Current version is 3.2.4; upgrade first and re-try.

Regards

Pascal

fminunc error

On 31-Aug-2010, Gaël de Lannoy wrote:

|    Hello everybody
|
| I have recently quit matlab for octave. I am trying to use fminunc in a
| matlab-like style and get the following error:
|
| error: unknown option 'maxit'
| error: evaluating if command near line 136, column 5
| error: evaluating if command near line 135, column 3
| error: evaluating while command near line 116, column 1
| error: called from `read_options' in file
| `/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/miscellaneous/read_options.m'
                     ^^^^^^

Octave 2.1.57 is quite old, and was just a development snapshot if I
recall correctly, not an actual released version.  Where did you get
it, and why did you decide to install it instead of the current stable
version, 3.2.4?

I can't say for sure that it would fix the problem you are seeing, but
you would probably be a lot better off using the current stable release.

Re: fminunc error

Gaël de Lannoy
  On 31/08/2010 17:39, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 31-Aug-2010, Gaël de Lannoy wrote:
>
> |    Hello everybody
> |
> | I have recently quit matlab for octave. I am trying to use fminunc in a
> | matlab-like style and get the following error:
> |
> | error: unknown option 'maxit'
> | error: evaluating if command near line 136, column 5
> | error: evaluating if command near line 135, column 3
> | error: evaluating while command near line 116, column 1
> | error: called from `read_options' in file
> | `/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/miscellaneous/read_options.m'
>                       ^^^^^^
>
> Octave 2.1.57 is quite old, and was just a development snapshot if I
> recall correctly, not an actual released version.  Where did you get
> it, and why did you decide to install it instead of the current stable
> version, 3.2.4?
>
> I can't say for sure that it would fix the problem you are seeing, but
> you would probably be a lot better off using the current stable release.
>
> jwe
I have no choice it is a server here where I only have user access and
has this outdated version. I have tried the same code on my own machine
with octave 3.0.1 and I get the exact same error :-(

Re: fminunc error

Gaël de Lannoy
  It seems to be the same problem as reported in the debug list :

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/more-bugs-in-fminunc-td1668254.html

On 1/09/2010 10:06, Gaël de Lannoy wrote:

>    On 31/08/2010 17:39, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 31-Aug-2010, Gaël de Lannoy wrote:
>>
>> |    Hello everybody
>> |
>> | I have recently quit matlab for octave. I am trying to use fminunc in a
>> | matlab-like style and get the following error:
>> |
>> | error: unknown option 'maxit'
>> | error: evaluating if command near line 136, column 5
>> | error: evaluating if command near line 135, column 3
>> | error: evaluating while command near line 116, column 1
>> | error: called from `read_options' in file
>> | `/usr/share/octave/2.1.57/site/m/octave-forge/miscellaneous/read_options.m'
>>                        ^^^^^^
>>
>> Octave 2.1.57 is quite old, and was just a development snapshot if I
>> recall correctly, not an actual released version.  Where did you get
>> it, and why did you decide to install it instead of the current stable
>> version, 3.2.4?
>>
>> I can't say for sure that it would fix the problem you are seeing, but
>> you would probably be a lot better off using the current stable release.
>>
>> jwe
> I have no choice it is a server here where I only have user access and
> has this outdated version. I have tried the same code on my own machine
> with octave 3.0.1 and I get the exact same error :-(

Gael de LANNOY
Université catholique de Louvain
DICE - Machine Learning Group
FSIO - Physiology and Pharmacology

3 place du Levant, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Tel: +3210478133 - Fax: +3210472598
E-mail: [hidden email]
Homepage: http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/~delannoy