[forge] linear-algebra next release

marco atzeri-2
Hi
as current version 2.2.2 does not build on Octave 4.4.0,
while repository code does, I uploaded the patches
to clean all build warnings and bump description and NEWS
to 2.2.3 at

http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9646

I have also prepared the source package and the
relative octave-generate_html documentation
using last 0.3.1 release.

I will open a ticket for package release
if the patches are accepted.

Regards
Marco

Re: [forge] linear-algebra next release

PhilipNienhuis
marco atzeri-2 wrote

> Hi
> as current version 2.2.2 does not build on Octave 4.4.0,
> while repository code does, I uploaded the patches
> to clean all build warnings and bump description and NEWS
> to 2.2.3 at
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9646
>
> I have also prepared the source package and the
> relative octave-generate_html documentation
> using last 0.3.1 release.
>
> I will open a ticket for package release
> if the patches are accepted.
>
> Regards
> Marco

Thanks for this work, Marco.

Now that you mention, there's a pending patch report about some typos in the
NEWS:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=8643

Another more important issue is that linear-algebra's binary modules
gsvd.oct and pgmres.oct shadow functions in core Octave that are newer and
better.
For my own builds I simply delete the entire src/ subdir in the
linear-algebra package and as far as I'm concerned that could be done for a
new release as well; in that case linear-algebra would be an .m-file only
package.
But for the sake of compatibility with older Octave releases it would be
nice to automatically detect these functions in core and if missing (older
octave) add them using autotools, along the lines of deg2rad.m/rad2deg.m in
the mapping package.
That solution (AFAIK invented by Carnë) does add complexity.
Anyway I think it is up to you to decide.

BTW yet another thing is that there's much better funm.m by one of (TTBOMK)
Marco Caliari's students that is largely finished. That would be a (very)
"nice to have" for the linear-algebra package.

Philip

On 6/2/2018 11:47 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> marco atzeri-2 wrote
>> Hi
>> as current version 2.2.2 does not build on Octave 4.4.0,
>> while repository code does, I uploaded the patches
>> to clean all build warnings and bump description and NEWS
>> to 2.2.3 at
>>
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9646
>>
>> I have also prepared the source package and the
>> relative octave-generate_html documentation
>> using last 0.3.1 release.
>>
>> I will open a ticket for package release
>> if the patches are accepted.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> Thanks for this work, Marco.
>
> Now that you mention, there's a pending patch report about some typos in the
> NEWS:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=8643

Noted

> Another more important issue is that linear-algebra's binary modules
> gsvd.oct and pgmres.oct shadow functions in core Octave that are newer and
> better.

Only pgmres.oct is built, gsvd.oct not.
It seems the current makefile is broken anyway at least on my cygwin.
Likely after

changeset:   189:6e1dfc22132a
user:        Carnë Draug <[hidden email]>
date:        Sat Jun 18 00:47:37 2016 +0100
summary:     Remove autotools cruft from the very old times of Octave Forge.

This also the reason why I do not see any warning of any
shadow functions

> For my own builds I simply delete the entire src/ subdir in the
> linear-algebra package and as far as I'm concerned that could be done for a
> new release as well; in that case linear-algebra would be an .m-file only
> package.
> But for the sake of compatibility with older Octave releases it would be
> nice to automatically detect these functions in core and if missing (older
> octave) add them using autotools, along the lines of deg2rad.m/rad2deg.m in
> the mapping package.

First approach could be better but pgmres.oct does not report any shadow
so a deeper function check is needed anyway.

I will look on that

> That solution (AFAIK invented by Carnë) does add complexity.
> Anyway I think it is up to you to decide.
>
> BTW yet another thing is that there's much better funm.m by one of (TTBOMK)
> Marco Caliari's students that is largely finished. That would be a (very)
> "nice to have" for the linear-algebra package.

any link ?

> Philip

Thanks
Marco

Re: [forge] linear-algebra next release

PhilipNienhuis
marco atzeri-2 wrote

> On 6/2/2018 11:47 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> marco atzeri-2 wrote
> :
> <snip>
> :
>> BTW yet another thing is that there's much better funm.m by one of
>> (TTBOMK)
>> Marco Caliari's students that is largely finished. That would be a (very)
>> "nice to have" for the linear-algebra package.
>
> any link ?

Posted in the patch tracker, https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9646

Philip