free octconf presentation slot?

Olaf Till-2
Hi,

can I still get an Octconf presentation slot for "Technical overview
of user code parallelization"?

Parallelization is in a package, though the presentation would also
touch Octave and Matlab. I'd prefer Tuesday after lunch.

Olaf

Re: free octconf presentation slot?

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 09:30, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> can I still get an Octconf presentation slot for "Technical overview
> of user code parallelization"?
>
> Parallelization is in a package, though the presentation would also
> touch Octave and Matlab. I'd prefer Tuesday after lunch.
>
> Olaf

Olaf,

Actually parallelization is in TWO packages: parallel and mpi.
I could prepare a short talk about the current status and future plans for mpi to complement your talk if you like.

I will not be there on Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon so Tuesday afternoon would also be optimal for me.

c.

Re: free octconf presentation slot?

Andrea Latina
Hello Olaf, Carlo,

please go ahead and add your proposed presentations to the wiki page. Now that it looks more or less finalized, I am going to publish the timetable on Indico at the end of this week.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 28 February 2017 at 10:19, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 09:30, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> can I still get an Octconf presentation slot for "Technical overview
> of user code parallelization"?
>
> Parallelization is in a package, though the presentation would also
> touch Octave and Matlab. I'd prefer Tuesday after lunch.
>
> Olaf

Olaf,

Actually parallelization is in TWO packages: parallel and mpi.
I could prepare a short talk about the current status and future plans for mpi to complement your talk if you like.

I will not be there on Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon so Tuesday afternoon would also be optimal for me.

c.

Re: free octconf presentation slot?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2

awesome, just go ahead and add it.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:19:24AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> > On 28 Feb 2017, at 09:30, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > can I still get an Octconf presentation slot for "Technical overview
> > of user code parallelization"?
> >
> > Parallelization is in a package, though the presentation would also
> > touch Octave and Matlab. I'd prefer Tuesday after lunch.
> >
> > Olaf
>
> Olaf,
>
> Actually parallelization is in TWO packages: parallel and mpi.
Please apologize. I usually take care to mention the mpi package, even
in the 'DESCRIPTION' file of the 'parallel' package. I just forgot
about it in this case.

> I could prepare a short talk about the current status and future
> plans for mpi to complement your talk if you like.

My talk was to be more on the different principles, and which of the
principles is used by Matlab and by Octave. I didn't want to describe
the usage details of the 'parallel' package. So if you talk about
'mpi', it would be rather a specialization than a complementing of my
talk.

I'd rather suggest that I mention 'mpi' also and put it into the
context of the description of the principles. If you want to make an
extra talk about 'mpi' afterwards, I'll have to add a specialization
to 'parallel' to my talk, which I didn't intend to do.

Olaf

Re: free octconf presentation slot?

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 12:42, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:19:24AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>>
>>> On 28 Feb 2017, at 09:30, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> can I still get an Octconf presentation slot for "Technical overview
>>> of user code parallelization"?
>>>
>>> Parallelization is in a package, though the presentation would also
>>> touch Octave and Matlab. I'd prefer Tuesday after lunch.
>>>
>>> Olaf
>>
>> Olaf,
>>
>> Actually parallelization is in TWO packages: parallel and mpi.
>
> Please apologize. I usually take care to mention the mpi package, even
> in the 'DESCRIPTION' file of the 'parallel' package. I just forgot
> about it in this case.
>
>> I could prepare a short talk about the current status and future
>> plans for mpi to complement your talk if you like.
>
> My talk was to be more on the different principles, and which of the
> principles is used by Matlab and by Octave. I didn't want to describe
> the usage details of the 'parallel' package. So if you talk about
> 'mpi', it would be rather a specialization than a complementing of my
> talk.
>
> I'd rather suggest that I mention 'mpi' also and put it into the
> context of the description of the principles. If you want to make an
> extra talk about 'mpi' afterwards, I'll have to add a specialization
> to 'parallel' to my talk, which I didn't intend to do.
>
> Olaf

OK.