function still 'missing' even after package installation

function still 'missing' even after package installation

mrpurple
Hi,
I got
warning: the `fminsearch' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
So I did
pkg install -forge optim
and got
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_2'
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_3'
For information about changes from previous versions of the optim package, run 'news ("optim")'.
Working off the assumption that I could carry on despite the warnings I tried running my work again and still got:
error: `fminsearch' undefined near line 27 column 15
I tried downloading the tarball and pkg installing manually but got the same exact problem.
Now I'm stuck: I need to install a dependancy but installing the dependancy doesnt solve my dependancy.
I dont even know where to start looking.

Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 30 October 2012 23:15, mrpurple <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I did
> pkg install -forge optim
> and got
> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_2'
> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_3'
> For information about changes from previous versions of the optim package,
> run 'news ("optim")'.
> Working off the assumption that I could carry on despite the warnings I
> tried running my work again and still got:
> error: `fminsearch' undefined near line 27 column 15

Try "pkg load optim". Installed packages are no longer loaded by
default, in the interest of avoiding namespace pollution.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

Lukas Reichlin-4

On 31.10.2012, at 13:37, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 October 2012 23:15, mrpurple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So I did
>> pkg install -forge optim
>> and got
>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_2'
>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_3'
>> For information about changes from previous versions of the optim package,
>> run 'news ("optim")'.
>> Working off the assumption that I could carry on despite the warnings I
>> tried running my work again and still got:
>> error: `fminsearch' undefined near line 27 column 15
>
> Try "pkg load optim". Installed packages are no longer loaded by
> default, in the interest of avoiding namespace pollution.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

You can try

        pkg rebuild -auto optim

to load the optim package automatically at each start of octave.

Lukas

On 31 October 2012 09:08, Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31.10.2012, at 13:37, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 30 October 2012 23:15, mrpurple <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So I did
>>> pkg install -forge optim
>>> and got
>>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
>>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_2'
>>> warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_3'
>>> For information about changes from previous versions of the optim package,
>>> run 'news ("optim")'.
>>> Working off the assumption that I could carry on despite the warnings I
>>> tried running my work again and still got:
>>> error: `fminsearch' undefined near line 27 column 15
>>
>> Try "pkg load optim". Installed packages are no longer loaded by
>> default, in the interest of avoiding namespace pollution.
>
> You can try
>
>         pkg rebuild -auto optim
>
> to load the optim package automatically at each start of octave.

But beware:

    http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37654

Another option is to add "pkg load optim" to your .octaverc

- Jordi G. H.

Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

Bob Walton

mrpurple wrote
I got
warning: the `fminsearch' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
So I did
pkg install -forge optim
and got
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
I dont even know where to start looking.
You're probably using the MinGW implementation of Octave on Windows.  The optim package doesn't seem to install on that platform.  I solved the problem by downloading the optim-1.2.1.tar.gz file from SourceForge, opening it in WinZip or equivalent, and copying fminsearch.m, fmins.m and nmsmax.m to ...\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\3.6.2\m\optimization (or anywhere else on your Octave path).  Then it (fminsearch, that is, not the rest of the optim toolbox) works.  Another alternative would be to install the MinGW binary of all the packages -- but I think that is an all-the-packages-or-none thing, and one probably doesn't actually want that.
Bob Walton

Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

mrpurple
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Try "pkg load optim". Installed packages are no longer loaded by
default, in the interest of avoiding namespace pollution.
Thanks, that did it.

FYI
I was running octave 3.6 in ubuntu 12.04
I was going to put all my installation command lines here but it became unwieldy so I'm going to write a "how-to-forge" for my install instead. It would be a shame to see the week it's taken me to get this far to go to waste

On 1 November 2012 15:59, mrpurple <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Try "pkg load optim". Installed packages are no longer loaded by
>> default, in the interest of avoiding namespace pollution.
>
> Thanks, that did it.

> I was going to put all my installation command lines here but it became
> unwieldy so I'm going to write a "how-to-forge" for my install instead.

In Ubuntu, just do "sudo apt-get install octave-optim". The OF
packages are packaged. You don't have to use pkg install.

- Jordi G. H.

Actually, I found that Ubuntu tried to revert my installation of octave 3.6 to octave 3.2 when I did as you say. So, I think I'll stick with installing packages as and when needed from within octave. Its not really any more difficult and it works for me.

On 1 November 2012 17:13, mrpurple <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> In Ubuntu, just do "sudo apt-get install octave-optim". The OF
>> packages are packaged. You don't have to use pkg install.
>
> Actually, I found that Ubuntu tried to revert my installation of octave 3.6
> to octave 3.2 when I did as you say.

What version of Ubuntu? 12.10 should have Octave 3.6. If using Ubuntu
12.10 you're getting Octave 3.2 instead, there's a packaging bug.

> So, I think I'll stick with installing packages as and when needed
> from within octave. Its not really any more difficult and it works
> for me.

Depending on the package, it is in fact more difficult. For example,
for the symbolic package, you'll have to chase down the GiNaC
dependencies yourself. You'll also have to manually fix the packages
yourself and chase dependencies again when you upgrade the Octave
version instead of letting apt do the chasing. With pkg.m, you're
essentially compiling and installing packages yourself instead of
getting the benefits of a robust package manager. Thus, apt is a far
better long-term choice than pkg.m.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

mrpurple
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
What version of Ubuntu? 12.10 should have Octave 3.6. If using Ubuntu
12.10 you're getting Octave 3.2 instead, there's a packaging bug.
No packaging bug. I was running 12.04
So the answer to my problem the whole time was to upgrade from the 12.04 LTS to 12.10

As you say there are plenty of benifits to using apt rather than compiling packages from sources especially if the debian/ubuntu repos are being looked after. Its a shame 3.6 missed out on the Ubuntu LTS version by a few months.

Thanks