Quantcast

(gplot) line 0: no data point found in specified file

(gplot) line 0: no data point found in specified file

Bugzilla from alan.ezust@gmail.com
I'm using octave/gplot for my first time
and I'm up to page 143 of the docs.

The first example that uses gplot in the manual fails for me. I am not
sure what the error message means. Could someone please explain?

octave:1> gplot rand(100,1) with linespoints
octave:2>
gnuplot> pl '/tmp/oct-Zf2r9c' u 1:2 t "line 1" w linespoints
                                                            ^
         line 0: no data point found in specified file

GNU Octave, version 2.1.64 (i386-pc-linux-gnu).

Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?

Re: (gplot) line 0: no data point found in specified file

E. Joshua Rigler-2
On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 10:12, Alan Ezust wrote:

> I'm using octave/gplot for my first time
> and I'm up to page 143 of the docs.
>
> The first example that uses gplot in the manual fails for me. I am not
> sure what the error message means. Could someone please explain?
>

> octave:1> gplot rand(100,1) with linespoints
> octave:2>
> gnuplot> pl '/tmp/oct-Zf2r9c' u 1:2 t "line 1" w linespoints
>                                                             ^
>          line 0: no data point found in specified file
>
> GNU Octave, version 2.1.64 (i386-pc-linux-gnu).
>
> Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?

I think something similar is addressed in the following thread:

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00070.html

-EJR

Re: (gplot) line 0: no data point found in specified file

Bugzilla from alan.ezust@gmail.com
aha, upgraded and the problem went away. should have tried that first :-)

> I think something similar is addressed in the following thread:
>
> http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00070.html
>
> -EJR

Re: (gplot) line 0: no data point found in specified file

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Alan Ezust wrote:
> aha, upgraded and the problem went away. should have tried that first :-)

But actually you should have used

plot(rand(100,1),"-*;;")

instead.

Try to avoid using gplot and gset functions unless high-level
functions like plot,print,axis will not do what you want.

Sincerely,

Dmitri
(still hoping that gplot and gset will go away in 3.x.x)

Page 143: octave manual first plot examples

Bugzilla from alan.ezust@gmail.com
Yeah, I was just taking the first example in the manual and trying it
out. It's on page 143.  Perhaps that should be updated to use the
newer API... I assume this one is compatible with matlab whereas the
previous one was more gnuplot specific?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:04:43 -0700, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alan Ezust wrote:
> > aha, upgraded and the problem went away. should have tried that first :-)
> >

> But actually you should have used
>
> plot(rand(100,1),"-*;;")
>
> instead.
>
> Try to avoid using gplot and gset functions unless high-level
> functions like plot,print,axis will not do what you want.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dmitri
> (still hoping that gplot and gset will go away in 3.x.x)

University of Victoria
Department of Computer Science
Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Page 143: octave manual first plot examples

Quentin Spencer
Alan Ezust wrote:

>Yeah, I was just taking the first example in the manual and trying it
>out. It's on page 143.  Perhaps that should be updated to use the
>newer API... I assume this one is compatible with matlab whereas the
>previous one was more gnuplot specific?

Acutally, I wrote an update to the plotting section of the manual
recently for this very reason. John accepted the changes, and I think
they should be in the manual included with the 2.1.67 snapshot (I
haven't checked to verify). The manual now indicates that matlab-style
syntax is preferred, and the documentation for the gplot stuff is at the
very end of the section. If you run into any other things like this in
the documentation that make octave harder to use than it needs to be,
please submit patches, or at least suggestions to the mailing lists. I
am willing to work on things like this from time to time because it
saves answering future questions on the mailing lists.

-Quentin