gsl package page on OF

jbect
Hi Olaf,

I just noticed a tiny problem on the gsl package page :
https://octave.sourceforge.io/gsl/index.html.

I had inserted a link to AUTHORS.html in the "Package author:" field but
it wasn't converted correctly.  Can you please fix that?

Is it even possible to have a link there or should I remove it for the
next release of the package?

@++
Julien

Re: gsl package page on OF

Olaf Till-2
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:14:18PM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> I just noticed a tiny problem on the gsl package page :
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/gsl/index.html.
>
> I had inserted a link to AUTHORS.html in the "Package author:" field but it
> wasn't converted correctly.  Can you please fix that?

I've removed that link. Maybe you have to relode the page to fight
your browser cache.

> Is it even possible to have a link there or should I remove it for the next
> release of the package?

I isn't possible, since that field is displayed literally to allow
special characters.

We could write code to scan the field for links, or define a syntax
which is converted to a link. But to me this doesn't seem appropriate
for this field.

Information on contributors or history could go into a package manual;
as you know, we already have the option (in generate_html and the
website code) to display a fancy link to such a manual.

Also, we could include an option to display an extra link to
"Contributors". If you think this could be good, I'd insert it into
our task list.

For the case someone considers an option to display freely named
links: I wouldn't like this, it would provide the possibility to
clutter the package page.

BTW, maintaining a list of contributors has the inherent problem that
the list might get out of sync, especially if maintainers change.

Olaf

Re: gsl package page on OF

jbect
Le 17/08/2017 à 09:56, Olaf Till a écrit :

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:14:18PM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
>> Hi Olaf,
>>
>> I just noticed a tiny problem on the gsl package page :
>> https://octave.sourceforge.io/gsl/index.html.
>>
>> I had inserted a link to AUTHORS.html in the "Package author:" field but it
>> wasn't converted correctly.  Can you please fix that?
> I've removed that link. Maybe you have to relode the page to fight
> your browser cache.

Ok, thank you.

>> Is it even possible to have a link there or should I remove it for the next
>> release of the package?
> I isn't possible, since that field is displayed literally to allow
> special characters.
>
> We could write code to scan the field for links, or define a syntax
> which is converted to a link. But to me this doesn't seem appropriate
> for this field.

Ok, I will simply remove the link for the next release.

> Information on contributors or history could go into a package manual;
> as you know, we already have the option (in generate_html and the
> website code) to display a fancy link to such a manual.

Sure, this would be a natural option.  Perhaps one day...

> Also, we could include an option to display an extra link to
> "Contributors". If you think this could be good, I'd insert it into
> our task list.

Might be a good idea.

@++
Julien