image-acquisition package install

Dominic Bitter

Hey there,

i have a problem loading and installing the image-acquisition package from forge.

When trying to install it i get the following Error:

>> pkg install -forge image-acquisition

configure: error: unable to find the v4l2_open() function

checking for g++... g++

checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes

checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe

checking for suffix of executables... .exe

checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes

checking for mkoctfile... yes

checking for fltk-config... /usr/bin/fltk-config

checking for v4l2_open in -lv4l2... no

pkg: error running the configure script for image-acquisition.

error: called from

    install at line 200 column 5

    pkg at line 394 column 9

I am running Octave 4.2.0 on Windows x64.

I really need you help.

Greetings

Dominic Bitter

Re: image-acquisition package install

NJank
> I am running Octave 4.2.0 on Windows x64.
>
> I really need you help.

which version of windows and did you use the .exe or .zip installers?

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Dominic Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you very much for  the quick response.
> I am running Windows 10 Professional x64.
> I tried installing it in Octave with the command:
>
>>> pkg install -forge image-acquisition
>
> Octave downloaded the file by itself from forge but couldn't install it.
> After that i downloaded the Archive myself from forge and saved it in my working folder. It is a ".tar.gz" file.
> I think it is possible that the package runs only with a Linux System because it needs special dll's
>
> Build Dependencies:     libv4l-dev (>= 0.8.8), libfltk1.1-dev (>= 1.1.0)
>
> I will try to find the .exe and repeat the process.

Please use Reply All to keep the mailing list in on the conversation.

I meant did you install Octave using the .exe or .zip installers.
Either method you used for the package should work correctly if it's a
package that can be installed in the Windows version. Are other
packages working ok?

 It doesn't say explicitly, but the wiki seems to indicate that you
are correct regarding Linux.
http://wiki.octave.org/Image_acquisition_package

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Dominic Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you very much for  the quick response.
>> I am running Windows 10 Professional x64.
>> I tried installing it in Octave with the command:

>> Octave downloaded the file by itself from forge but couldn't install it.
>> After that i downloaded the Archive myself from forge and saved it in my working folder. It is a ".tar.gz" file.
>> I think it is possible that the package runs only with a Linux System because it needs special dll's
>>
>> Build Dependencies:     libv4l-dev (>= 0.8.8), libfltk1.1-dev (>= 1.1.0)
>>
>> I will try to find the .exe and repeat the process.
>

> Please use Reply All to keep the mailing list in on the conversation.
>
> I meant did you install Octave using the .exe or .zip installers.
> Either method you used for the package should work correctly if it's a
> package that can be installed in the Windows version. Are other
> packages working ok?
>
>  It doesn't say explicitly, but the wiki seems to indicate that you
> are correct regarding Linux.
> http://wiki.octave.org/Image_acquisition_package

Judging from this past conversation, image acquisition package is not
currently Windows compatible
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Installing-image-acquisition-toolbox-in-Windows-7-td4678061.html

AW: image-acquisition package install

Dominic Bitter
I installed it using the .exe

Yes it seems to be a Linux exclusive package.
I will try running a Linux version with an USB stick and do it that way.

Thanks for the help.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Dominic Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you very much for  the quick response.
>> I am running Windows 10 Professional x64.
>> I tried installing it in Octave with the command:

>> Octave downloaded the file by itself from forge but couldn't install it.
>> After that i downloaded the Archive myself from forge and saved it in my working folder. It is a ".tar.gz" file.
>> I think it is possible that the package runs only with a Linux System
>> because it needs special dll's
>>
>> Build Dependencies:     libv4l-dev (>= 0.8.8), libfltk1.1-dev (>= 1.1.0)
>>
>> I will try to find the .exe and repeat the process.
>

> Please use Reply All to keep the mailing list in on the conversation.
>
> I meant did you install Octave using the .exe or .zip installers.
> Either method you used for the package should work correctly if it's a
> package that can be installed in the Windows version. Are other
> packages working ok?
>
>  It doesn't say explicitly, but the wiki seems to indicate that you
> are correct regarding Linux.
> http://wiki.octave.org/Image_acquisition_package

Judging from this past conversation, image acquisition package is not currently Windows compatible http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Installing-image-acquisition-toolbox-in-Windows-7-td4678061.html

Re: image-acquisition package install

Kire Pudsje

Dominic,

I am busy implementing webcam support on Windows.

I based it on the interface described by the webcam package of matlab

https://nl.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/usbwebcams/index.html

It is currently in a very early and rough stage. No help yet, very dirty code, etc. I only managed to get it working today, but it can already obtain images. Also Brightness, backlight etc, can be set. No resolution control at the moment.

Once I have everything working, I might try and integrate it in the img-acq package.

>> pkg load webcam
>> webcamlist
ans =
{
  [1,1] = VGA Webcam
  [2,1] = HD 720P Webcam
}
>> cam=webcam(1);
warning: This is work in progress, be prepared for segfaults
warning: called from
    webcam at line 8 column 15
>> cam.get()
ans =

  scalar structure containing the fields:

    Name = VGA Webcam
    Resolution = 640x480
    AvailableResolutions =
    {
      [1,1] = 640x480
      [2,1] = 640x360
    }
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast =  32
    Hue = 0
    Saturation =  64
    Sharpness =  4
    Gamma =  221
    WhiteBalance = auto
    BacklightCompensation = off
    Exposure = auto

imshow(cam.snapshot);

webcam-0.0.1.tar.gz (27K) Download Attachment

AW: image-acquisition package install

Dominic Bitter

Hello Kire,

thanks for the code.

I have a Matlab script from a colleague which (if i remeber it right) is able to get live images from USB cams.

Sadly i can’t get a Matlab license for me there.

If it can help you i can ask him on Monday and send you the file.

I am busy implementing webcam support on Windows.

I based it on the interface described by the webcam package of matlab

https://nl.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/usbwebcams/index.html

It is currently in a very early and rough stage. No help yet, very dirty code, etc. I only managed to get it working today, but it can already obtain images. Also Brightness, backlight etc, can be set. No resolution control at the moment.

Once I have everything working, I might try and integrate it in the img-acq package.

>> pkg load webcam
>> webcamlist
ans =
{
  [1,1] = VGA Webcam
  [2,1] = HD 720P Webcam
}
>> cam=webcam(1);
warning: This is work in progress, be prepared for segfaults
warning: called from
    webcam at line 8 column 15
>> cam.get()
ans =

  scalar structure containing the fields:

    Name = VGA Webcam
    Resolution = 640x480
    AvailableResolutions =
    {
      [1,1] = 640x480
      [2,1] = 640x360
    }
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast =  32
    Hue = 0
    Saturation =  64
    Sharpness =  4
    Gamma =  221
    WhiteBalance = auto
    BacklightCompensation = off
    Exposure = auto

imshow(cam.snapshot);

Re: image-acquisition package install

Kire Pudsje
And an updated version. Everything except help and live-preview should work now.
I also implemented the set function like the image-acquisition package, to give back the range and step size for the setting.
I will not be trying to get live preview to work. Next step is integrating it in the image-acquisition package. With a little lick I can re-use their preview stuff.

Hello Kire,

thanks for the code.

I have a Matlab script from a colleague which (if i remeber it right) is able to get live images from USB cams.

Sadly i can’t get a Matlab license for me there.

If it can help you i can ask him on Monday and send you the file.

I am busy implementing webcam support on Windows.

I based it on the interface described by the webcam package of matlab

https://nl.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/usbwebcams/index.html

It is currently in a very early and rough stage. No help yet, very dirty code, etc. I only managed to get it working today, but it can already obtain images. Also Brightness, backlight etc, can be set. No resolution control at the moment.

Once I have everything working, I might try and integrate it in the img-acq package.

>> pkg load webcam
>> webcamlist
ans =
{
  [1,1] = VGA Webcam
  [2,1] = HD 720P Webcam
}

webcam-0.0.2.tar.gz (28K) Download Attachment

AW: image-acquisition package install

Dominic Bitter

@Kire Pudsje

Is there a way to load a section of a snapshot, without getting the full image first?

I am busy implementing webcam support on Windows.

I based it on the interface described by the webcam package of matlab

https://nl.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/usbwebcams/index.html

It is currently in a very early and rough stage. No help yet, very dirty code, etc. I only managed to get it working today, but it can already obtain images. Also Brightness, backlight etc, can be set. No resolution control at the moment.

Once I have everything working, I might try and integrate it in the img-acq package.

>> pkg load webcam
>> webcamlist
ans =
{
  [1,1] = VGA Webcam
  [2,1] = HD 720P Webcam
}
>> cam=webcam(1);
warning: This is work in progress, be prepared for segfaults
warning: called from
    webcam at line 8 column 15
>> cam.get()
ans =

  scalar structure containing the fields:

    Name = VGA Webcam
    Resolution = 640x480
    AvailableResolutions =
    {
      [1,1] = 640x480
      [2,1] = 640x360
    }
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast =  32
    Hue = 0
    Saturation =  64
    Sharpness =  4
    Gamma =  221
    WhiteBalance = auto
    BacklightCompensation = off
    Exposure = auto

imshow(cam.snapshot);

Re: image-acquisition package install

Kire Pudsje
No. I guess your question because of speed issues? I am looking into getting a higher update rate.
What kind of update rate do you get?
Here on my work machine octave is very slow, because the virus scanner constantly wants to check each file.

Could you try something like this (untested code), but you get the idea adjust N as appropriate?
N=100
tic
for i=1:N
  cam.capture();
end
toc

@Kire Pudsje

Is there a way to load a section of a snapshot, without getting the full image first?

I am busy implementing webcam support on Windows.

I based it on the interface described by the webcam package of matlab

https://nl.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/usbwebcams/index.html

It is currently in a very early and rough stage. No help yet, very dirty code, etc. I only managed to get it working today, but it can already obtain images. Also Brightness, backlight etc, can be set. No resolution control at the moment.

Once I have everything working, I might try and integrate it in the img-acq package.

>> pkg load webcam
>> webcamlist
ans =
{
  [1,1] = VGA Webcam
  [2,1] = HD 720P Webcam
}
>> cam=webcam(1);
warning: This is work in progress, be prepared for segfaults
warning: called from
    webcam at line 8 column 15
>> cam.get()
ans =

  scalar structure containing the fields:

    Name = VGA Webcam
    Resolution = 640x480
    AvailableResolutions =
    {
      [1,1] = 640x480
      [2,1] = 640x360
    }
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast =  32
    Hue = 0
    Saturation =  64
    Sharpness =  4
    Gamma =  221
    WhiteBalance = auto
    BacklightCompensation = off
    Exposure = auto

imshow(cam.snapshot);

Re: image-acquisition package install

Kire Pudsje
To my understanding windows does not directly support a grayscale media type.
You could fake it in the c-source code, but it would be easier to just do it within octave:
imgbw = mean(img,3);
or the 'more correct'
imgbw = 0.2126 * img(:,:,1) + 0.7152 * img(:,:,2) + 0.072 * img(:,:,3);

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Dominic Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey,

is there a way to set the capture mode to grayscale?

Re: image-acquisition package install

Andreas Weber-6
Am 04.12.2016 um 19:54 schrieb Kire Pudsje:
> And an updated version. Everything except help and live-preview should
> work now.
> I also implemented the set function like the image-acquisition package,
> to give back the range and step size for the setting.
> I will not be trying to get live preview to work. Next step is
> integrating it in the image-acquisition package. With a little lick I
> can re-use their preview stuff.

Hi Kire,
any progress on this? Do you have a public repo on
github/bitbucket/whatever?

-- Andy