Quantcast

inferior octave mode in emacs

Matt Coleman
Does anyone have an inferior octave mode set up for emacs 22.1.1 on a windows system?

I am able to use the octave editing mode just fine, however, when I try "M-x run-octave" emacs tells me that "no such file or directory, octave". I have both octave-inf.el and octave-inf.elc in C:\emacs-22.1\lisp\progmodes. I also have the line (autoload 'run-octave "octave-inf" nil t) added to my _emacs file in C:\emacs-22.1\bin. Anyone have some suggestions or hints for me?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: inferior octave mode in emacs

schi
Please check whether octave is in your $PATH so that emacs can find it.

I have another (next level) problem: octave starts up and totally blocks emacs - and I have to kill emacs the hard way (Windows task manager) :-(

Is there anybody having it run successfully on windows or is there some basic problem with input/output on this OS inhibiting it to work properly?

Thanks,

schi

Re: inferior octave mode in emacs

Matt Coleman
Well, I am not sure how to add octave to my path. I added the lines

(setenv "PATH"
        (concat (expand-file-name <<C:\Program Files\GNU Octave 2.1.73>>)
                path-separator (getenv "PATH")))

to my .emacs file but this is not right. I know almost nothing about lisp programming so I am not sure what to do.