installing the fits package

doug brenner
The fits packages is an external page for read and writing fits files.  When I try to install it, I get a lengthy error message. (attached) I think it would be sufficient if someone could tell me how to modified the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and where to put the .h files.
I assume the answer to the latter is here: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/include and I would use the unix command mv or cp from the terminal. I’m running on a MAC.
Thanks

Install fits fail.txt (5K) Download Attachment

RE: installing the fits package

JohnD
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 18:09:09 -0500
> From: doug brenner <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: installing the fits package
>
> The fits packages is an external page for read and writing fits files.
When I try
> to install it, I get a lengthy error message. (attached) I think it would
be
> sufficient if someone could tell me how to modified the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> and where to put the .h files.
> I assume the answer to the latter is here: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/include and I would use
> the unix command mv or cp from the terminal. I?m running on a MAC.
> Thanks

The log says:
> pkg install -forge fits
Package cfitsio was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `cfitsio.pc'
No package 'cfitsio' found

So do you have the cfitsio development package installed ?

RE: installing the fits package

JohnD

I have found copies of cfitsio.pc in several directories and moved one into some Octave directories but installed - no.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 18:09:09 -0500
> From: doug brenner <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: installing the fits package
>
> The fits packages is an external page for read and writing fits files.
When I try
> to install it, I get a lengthy error message. (attached) I think it would
be
> sufficient if someone could tell me how to modified the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> and where to put the .h files.
> I assume the answer to the latter is here: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/include and I would use
> the unix command mv or cp from the terminal. I?m running on a MAC.
> Thanks

The log says:
> pkg install -forge fits
Package cfitsio was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `cfitsio.pc'
No package 'cfitsio' found

So do you have the cfitsio development package installed ?

setenv(' PKG_CONFIG_PATH',  _thepathtowherethe.pcfileis)