libtermcap error

John Sherk

Hi,

I have successfully compiled octave-1.1.1 under AIX 4.1.4, and installed
it on the system.

When I enter "octave" it seems to start and run ok.
When I enter "help -i" at the octave prompt I the help info seems to run ok.

I have a user who entered "help residue" and got the following response:

 Octave, version 1.1.1.
 Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 John W. Eaton.
 This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 For details, type `warranty'.

 octave:1> help residue
         0509-037 System error - error data is: less
         0509-022 Cannot load library libtermcap.a[shr.o].
         0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does
 not exist.
 octave:2>

What do I do to fix it?

...john

Re: libtermcap error

John L Daschbach-2
   Hi,

   I have successfully compiled octave-1.1.1 under AIX 4.1.4, and installed
   it on the system.

   When I enter "octave" it seems to start and run ok.
   When I enter "help -i" at the octave prompt I the help info seems to run ok.

   I have a user who entered "help residue" and got the following response:

    octave:1> help residue
            0509-037 System error - error data is: less
            0509-022 Cannot load library libtermcap.a[shr.o].
            0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does
    not exist.

   What do I do to fix it?

It looks like 'less' is dynamically loading libtermcap.a, or trying to
actually.  'help -i' runs info, 'help residue' runs a pager, in this
case 'less' to page output through in your octave session.  Less just
needs to know how to find this dynamically linked library
(libtermcap.a).  Check to see that this is setup correctly.

-John

Re: libtermcap error

John Sherk

John,

Thanks for the tip on "less". As it turns out, we are picking up less
from an nfs mouted directory from our ITS department. The utilities and
programs in that area were compiled with AIX 3.2.5 and exported to
campus. Although I have found that most of the utilities are binary
compatible with AIX 4, this is one that is not (at least not the way it
was compiled). Since the "more" program that comes with AIX 4 is pretty
good (allows paging back etc.), I have temporarily put in a link to it
(called less) on the system ahead of the nfs mounted less in the search
path. That has fixed the problem listed below until such time as I have
the chance to compile less locally.

I'm sure I would never have found this on my own. Thanks again.

...john