load netcdf not working

eugenia
Hi,
I have Octave v4.2.2 in Fedora 29. And I also have netcdf installed.
I need to install netcdf package for octave. I downloaded manually but when
I try to install it, I have the following error message:
>> pkg install -forge /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
error: get_forge_pkg: invalid package name:
/home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
error: called from
    get_forge_pkg at line 34 column 5
    get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
    pkg at line 382 column 29

I also tried with the following but nothing:
>>pkg load netcdf
error: package netcdf is not installed
error: called from
    load_packages at line 41 column 7
    pkg at line 411 column 7

Can anybody help me? I installed Octave via Discover utilities.

Regards and thanks in advance

Maria Eugenia

Re: load netcdf not working

Pantxo
eugenia wrote

> Hi,
> I have Octave v4.2.2 in Fedora 29. And I also have netcdf installed.
> I need to install netcdf package for octave. I downloaded manually but
> when
> I try to install it, I have the following error message:
>>> pkg install -forge /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: get_forge_pkg: invalid package name:
> /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: called from
>     get_forge_pkg at line 34 column 5
>     get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
>     pkg at line 382 column 29
>
> I also tried with the following but nothing:
>>>pkg load netcdf
> error: package netcdf is not installed
> error: called from
>     load_packages at line 41 column 7
>     pkg at line 411 column 7
>
> Can anybody help me? I installed Octave via Discover utilities.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
>
> Maria Eugenia
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

Hi,

AFAICS, you have downloaded the package archive so you should not use the
"-forge" option. Did you try without it?

On debian there is a package for netcdf, which avoids having to take care of
dependencies (libnetcdf at least) yourself. The installation is then as easy
as "apt install octave-netcdf".
Isn't there such default package in Fedora? e.g.

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/package/octave-netcdf?collection=epel7

Pantxo

RE: load netcdf not working

JohnD

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:27:10 -0600 (CST)
> From: eugenia <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: load netcdf not working
>
> Hi,
> I have Octave v4.2.2 in Fedora 29. And I also have netcdf installed.
> I need to install netcdf package for octave. I downloaded manually but
when

> I try to install it, I have the following error message:
> >> pkg install -forge /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: get_forge_pkg: invalid package name:
> /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: called from
>     get_forge_pkg at line 34 column 5
>     get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
>     pkg at line 382 column 29
>
> I also tried with the following but nothing:
> >>pkg load netcdf
> error: package netcdf is not installed
> error: called from
>     load_packages at line 41 column 7
>     pkg at line 411 column 7
>
> Can anybody help me? I installed Octave via Discover utilities.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
>
> Maria Eugenia

The load is failing because the install is failing.

If you specific the -forge option, it tries to get the named package from
sourceforge, so shouldn't be a local path/filename. If you don't use -forge,
it would try find the file in current directory/or use the path it was
provided with.

So assuming that the file is in the full path you specified, you could do:

pkg install /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz

To install from source forge:

pkg install netcdf

Re: load netcdf not working

eugenia
Dear Pantxo,
I have no apt install option...

But I tried first without "-forge" and the message is the following:

pkg install /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is incomplete
error: called from
    __gripe_missing_component__ at line 53 column 3
    configure_make at line 40 column 7
    install at line 192 column 7
    pkg at line 394 column 9

>> pkg install -forge netcdf
pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is incomplete
error: called from
    __gripe_missing_component__ at line 53 column 3
    configure_make at line 40 column 7
    install at line 192 column 7
    pkg at line 394 column 9

I really don't know what to do. I think that the problem can be Fedora...?

Regards
Maria Eugenia

Re: load netcdf not working

eugenia
OK. I installed it using:
sudo yum install octave-netcdf
but anyway, octave does not recognize it..

>> data = netcdf.getVar(GroupDelaySig,GroupDelay)
warning: the 'netcdf' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read <http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'netcdf' undefined near line 1 column 8

Regards
Ma. Eugenia

Re: load netcdf not working

marco atzeri-2
Am 11.12.2018 um 09:38 schrieb eugenia:

> OK. I installed it using:
> sudo yum install octave-netcdf
> but anyway, octave does not recognize it..
>
>>> data = netcdf.getVar(GroupDelaySig,GroupDelay)
> warning: the 'netcdf' function is not yet implemented in Octave
>
> Please read <http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
> contribute missing functionality.
> error: 'netcdf' undefined near line 1 column 8

Eugenia,

you need to load it, before using it
   pkg load netcdf

> Regards