Quantcast

matlab rotx, roty, rotz, function and equivalent in octave 4.0 or packages

RT

matlab rotx, roty, rotz, function and equivalent in octave 4.0 or packages

RT
Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent to Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html

Thanks

Re: matlab rotx, roty, rotz, function and equivalent in octave 4.0 or packages

Olaf Till-2
On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 07:17:24AM -0400, RT wrote:
> Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent to
> Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function
> https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html

The geometry package has similar functions. CCing the maintainer.

Olaf

Re: matlab rotx, roty, rotz, function and equivalent in octave 4.0 or packages

NJank
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 07:17:24AM -0400, RT wrote:
> Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent to
> Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function
> https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html

The geometry package has similar functions. CCing the maintainer.

with a quick peek geometry seems to have some similar functionality but not matlab compatible versions of those functions.

createRotation would recreate rotz if it took degrees by default.

the 3d rotation functions createRotationOx, createRotationOy, and createRotationOz would work if they weren't 4x4 matrices.  (why are they 4x4? what's the 4th value, length which stays invariant?

aliases could easily be created for those to implement the rot functions. That said, the actual implementation is so simple it's almost a shame to add the overhead of the extra function call to create them.

in Matlab, rotx, roty, and rotz appear to be part of the Phased Array System Toolbox.

>> which rotx
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2016b\toolbox\phased\phased\rotx.m

On Apr 9, 2017 8:32 PM, "Nicholas Jankowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 07:17:24AM -0400, RT wrote:
> Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent to
> Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function
> https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html

The geometry package has similar functions. CCing the maintainer.

with a quick peek geometry seems to have some similar functionality but not matlab compatible versions of those functions.

createRotation would recreate rotz if it took degrees by default.

the 3d rotation functions createRotationOx, createRotationOy, and createRotationOz would work if they weren't 4x4 matrices.  (why are they 4x4? what's the 4th value, length which stays invariant?

aliases could easily be created for those to implement the rot functions. That said, the actual implementation is so simple it's almost a shame to add the overhead of the extra function call to create them.

in Matlab, rotx, roty, and rotz appear to be part of the Phased Array System Toolbox.

>> which rotx
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2016b\toolbox\phased\phased\rotx.m

FYI to close the loop on this I did submit a set of functions to the bug tracker for this.

Re: matlab rotx, roty, rotz, function and equivalent in octave 4.0 or packages

JuanPi
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Nicholas Jankowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2017 8:32 PM, "Nicholas Jankowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 07:17:24AM -0400, RT wrote:
>> > Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent
>> > Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function
>> > https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html
>>
>> The geometry package has similar functions. CCing the maintainer.
>>

> with a quick peek geometry seems to have some similar functionality but not
> matlab compatible versions of those functions.
>
> createRotation would recreate rotz if it took degrees by default.
>
> the 3d rotation functions createRotationOx, createRotationOy, and
> createRotationOz would work if they weren't 4x4 matrices.  (why are they
> 4x4? what's the 4th value, length which stays invariant?
>
> aliases could easily be created for those to implement the rot functions.
> That said, the actual implementation is so simple it's almost a shame to add
> the overhead of the extra function call to create them.
>
> in Matlab, rotx, roty, and rotz appear to be part of the Phased Array System
> Toolbox.
>
>>> which rotx
> C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2016b\toolbox\phased\phased\rotx.m
>

> FYI to close the loop on this I did submit a set of functions to the bug
> tracker for this.
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50772

Hi,

if your functions get into core, I will definitely make the geometry
functions just wrappers to them.
The functions return 3x3 (2d) and 4x4(3d) matrices because they
implement affine transformations using homogeneous coordinates[1]. In
this way, e.g., it is easy to define a rotation around an arbitrary
point in space.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_coordinates

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2017 8:32 PM, "Nicholas Jankowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 07:17:24AM -0400, RT wrote:
>> > Greetings,  does Octave 4.0 or one of it's packages have an equivalent
>> > Matlabs rotx, roty, rotz, function
>> > https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/rotx.html
>>
>> The geometry package has similar functions. CCing the maintainer.
>>

> with a quick peek geometry seems to have some similar functionality but not
> matlab compatible versions of those functions.
>
> createRotation would recreate rotz if it took degrees by default.
>
> the 3d rotation functions createRotationOx, createRotationOy, and
> createRotationOz would work if they weren't 4x4 matrices.  (why are they
> 4x4? what's the 4th value, length which stays invariant?
>
> aliases could easily be created for those to implement the rot functions.
> That said, the actual implementation is so simple it's almost a shame to add
> the overhead of the extra function call to create them.
>
> in Matlab, rotx, roty, and rotz appear to be part of the Phased Array System
> Toolbox.
>
>>> which rotx
> C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2016b\toolbox\phased\phased\rotx.m
>

> FYI to close the loop on this I did submit a set of functions to the bug
> tracker for this.
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50772

Hi,

if your functions get into core, I will definitely make the geometry
functions just wrappers to them.
The functions return 3x3 (2d) and 4x4(3d) matrices because they
implement affine transformations using homogeneous coordinates[1]. In
this way, e.g., it is easy to define a rotation around an arbitrary
point in space.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_coordinates

--

And now Homogenous Coord's checks the box for 'learn one new thing each day'.  :)

regarding the functions, just so I'm not misunderstanding: I put the patch together as an add to the geometry toolbox, as it seemed to be a similar set of functions & purposes. Did you think these functions should be core Octave functions instead?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Nicholas Jankowski
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Apr 9, 2017 8:32 PM, "Nicholas Jankowski" <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:

>> > with a quick peek geometry seems to have some similar functionality but
>> > not
>> > matlab compatible versions of those functions.
>> >
>> > createRotation would recreate rotz if it took degrees by default.
>> >
>> > the 3d rotation functions createRotationOx, createRotationOy, and
>> > createRotationOz would work if they weren't 4x4 matrices.  (why are they
>> > 4x4? what's the 4th value, length which stays invariant?
>> >
>> > aliases could easily be created for those to implement the rot
>> > functions.
>> > That said, the actual implementation is so simple it's almost a shame to
>> > add
>> > the overhead of the extra function call to create them.
>> >
>> > in Matlab, rotx, roty, and rotz appear to be part of the Phased Array
>> > System
>> > Toolbox.

>> > C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2016b\toolbox\phased\phased\rotx.m
>> >

>> > FYI to close the loop on this I did submit a set of functions to the bug
>> > tracker for this.
>> >
>> > http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50772
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> if your functions get into core, I will definitely make the geometry
>> functions just wrappers to them.
>> The functions return 3x3 (2d) and 4x4(3d) matrices because they
>> implement affine transformations using homogeneous coordinates[1]. In
>> this way, e.g., it is easy to define a rotation around an arbitrary
>> point in space.
>>
>> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_coordinates
>>
>> --
>

> And now Homogenous Coord's checks the box for 'learn one new thing each
> day'.  :)
>
> regarding the functions, just so I'm not misunderstanding: I put the patch
> together as an add to the geometry toolbox, as it seemed to be a similar set
> of functions & purposes. Did you think these functions should be core Octave
> functions instead?

When I was using matlab rot* where on core, I would say these
functions go to geometry package of core. Check in the mailing list,
we can implement them optimized and put them there. I would prefer
they are in core. Would you ask on the mialinglist?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi