nabble

Can we change the info displayed on nabble for the mailing lists?  It
looks like the maintainers list is called "Octave" there and the help
list is called "Octave - General".  So I think it is easy for people to
be confused about which forum to use for asking questions.

Re: nabble

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Oct 30, 2018, at 12:32 AM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can we change the info displayed on nabble for the mailing lists?  It looks like the maintainers list is called "Octave" there and the help list is called "Octave - General".  So I think it is easy for people to be confused about which forum to use for asking questions.
>
> jwe

John,

The Nabble Forum structure for Octave is …

1) Octave : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com
        1.1) Octave - Maintainers : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html
        1.2) Octave - General : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

I’ll reach out to support to see what can be done.

Ben

Re: nabble

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 30, 2018, at 6:48 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 30, 2018, at 12:32 AM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can we change the info displayed on nabble for the mailing lists?  It looks like the maintainers list is called "Octave" there and the help list is called "Octave - General".  So I think it is easy for people to be confused about which forum to use for asking questions.

jwe

John,

The Nabble Forum structure for Octave is …

1) Octave : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com
1.1) Octave - Maintainers : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html
1.2) Octave - General : http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

I’ll reach out to support to see what can be done.

Ben

John,

We have some options.

We can change the maintainers and general subforms to not inherit from “Octave” and then disable posting to “Octave”. Or, we can try something more radical and change the application type to “mixed”. I expect/suspect that this approach means “Octave” is no longer a forum, but its children are.

What would you prefer to try?

Ben

Re: nabble

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 30, 2018, at 6:17 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I experimented a bit. The best solution looks to be changing the application type. Now “Octave” no longer looks like forum. To post, a user must navigate to a sub-forum.

Ben

Re: nabble

On 10/31/2018 05:59 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I experimented a bit. The best solution looks to be changing the
> application type. Now “Octave” no longer looks like forum. To post, a
> user must navigate to a sub-forum.

Thanks, that should help.

jwe