new gnuplot release pending

John W. Eaton-6
FYI, if you don't follow the gnuplot lists or newsgroup, there will be
a new release soon.  I'm appending an announcement about the new version.

Has anyone been using 3.8 with Octave on a regular basis?  Can we
expect things to work properly or will there be problems?

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker <[hidden email]>
Subject: Check out gnuplot 4.0 release candidate #1
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: 20 Feb 2004 15:24:52 GMT

I'm proud to announce the availability of the first release candidate
for the upcoming new gnuplot version 4.0 --- the first major version
number increase in over a decade.  The actual release date is not
quite fixed yet, but we're aiming at somewhere around beginning of
April, maybe earlier.  Here's the URL (sorry for the long line...)

  http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2055&package_id=66525&release_id=218406

We would like to encourage everybody with a vested interest in gnuplot
to get this new version and give it a test ride.  In other words,
we're calling for a beta-test by the broader public.  And that means:
you.

You may have seen various 3.8 versions of gnuplot mentioned in its
newsgroup and elsewhere.  That version has been developed over the
course of several years, in parallel to the previous public release
3.7.  It contains a ton of new features, several new terminal drivers,
quite some changes to the command script syntax, and some large-scale
changes to the internal code structure to make it more maintainable.
For a list of new features, see the NEWS file that comes with the
program.

The 3.8 branch has been used mostly by ourselves and some others on a
regular basis for quite a while now.  As far as we know, there are no
show-stopping bugs in it right now, but that may be because we didn't
look in the right places.

That's where all you out there come in.  In order to assure that the
upcoming release is of as a high quality as we can manage, it's
important that as many of you as possible test this new version in
your own ways, and check that it doesn't break spectacularly.  If
there's a bug in it that makes this version unusable, we'ld like to
here about it _now_, rather than 3 hours after we released version 4.0
to the general public.

So, if you would like to get an early look at what 4.0 will be, point
your browser at the URL above and give it a try.  So far, we only have
a source tarball available there.  Binary packages for selected
platforms will be added as they become available.  Linux users should
have no problem compiling it themselves...

Thanks in advance, and have fun with the future.

Re: new gnuplot release pending

Dmitri A. Sergatskov-2
John W. Eaton wrote:

> Has anyone been using 3.8 with Octave on a regular basis?  Can we
> expect things to work properly or will there be problems?

I have been using it for 2 years without much problems related to
new features.
The most mysterious problem with octave / (new) gnuplot synchronization
apparently has just been fixed.
and previous messages on the thread.

Mouse mode with X11 terminal (ability to zoom with a mouse)
was pretty much the feature that got me to switch.

> Thanks,
>
> jwe

Dmitri.

John W. Eaton wrote:

> Has anyone been using 3.8 with Octave on a regular basis?  Can we
> expect things to work properly or will there be problems?

Almost forgot :). There are some changes in the syntax. The most noticeable is
Old:
        set nokey

New:
          unset key
Currently (in 3.8k release), the old syntax still works, but issues a warning

gnuplot> set nokey
              ^
          warning: deprecated syntax, use "unset"

From: http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/docs/gnuplot.html#What_is_New_in_Version_4.0

<<<<

continues to allow the older syntax, but such backwards compatibility may be lost in future versions.

style options of their own, including arrows, filled areas, lines, and points. There are also style settings for input data and formatting. Please see style, decimalsign,
and `set datafile`.

> Thanks,
>
> jwe

Dmitri.