[octave-forge] information on requested contributions

[octave-forge] information on requested contributions

Olaf Till-2
Hi,

I'd like to maintain a list (currently a stub) of requested general
contributions to OF, consisting of the tasks assigned to
"octave-forge" in Octaves task tracker:

https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=octave&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=100&advsrch=0&status_id=1&resolution_id=0&assigned_to=90052&category_id=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=12&history_date_monthfd=8&history_date_yearfd=2017&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options

The above is advertised at:

https://octave.sourceforge.io/developers.php#contrib_general

Explicite requests for package maintenance or co-maintenance of
community packages are planned to be placed at:

https://octave.sourceforge.io/developers.php#re_maintain

Please tell me if you'd like to suggest items for the above lists.

Olaf

Re: [octave-forge] information on requested contributions

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to maintain a list (currently a stub) of requested general
> contributions to OF, consisting of the tasks assigned to
> "octave-forge" in Octaves task tracker:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=octave&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=100&advsrch=0&status_id=1&resolution_id=0&assigned_to=90052&category_id=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=12&history_date_monthfd=8&history_date_yearfd=2017&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options

Hi Olaf,

regarding the "example package" at savannah, providing example of a
package with subfolders (e.g. geometry) might also be useful

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 03:15:25AM +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to maintain a list (currently a stub) of requested general
> > contributions to OF, consisting of the tasks assigned to
> > "octave-forge" in Octaves task tracker:
> >
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=octave&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=100&advsrch=0&status_id=1&resolution_id=0&assigned_to=90052&category_id=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=12&history_date_monthfd=8&history_date_yearfd=2017&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options
> >

> regarding the "example package" at savannah, providing example of a
> package with subfolders (e.g. geometry) might also be useful
Are the 'normal' permissions for registered savannah users enough to
add comments to an existing task at the task tracker? This is, can you
add your above suggestion there? Otherwise I'll do it.

I've created a new mercurial repository 'example-package', currently
empty. Maybe you like to contribute to it? For commits, corresponding
posts should be made for this task at the tracker.

Olaf

Re: [octave-forge] information on requested contributions

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> Are the 'normal' permissions for registered savannah users enough to
> add comments to an existing task at the task tracker? This is, can you
> add your above suggestion there? Otherwise I'll do it.
No, I can't post anything there.

> I've created a new mercurial repository 'example-package', currently
> empty. Maybe you like to contribute to it? For commits, corresponding
> posts should be made for this task at the tracker.
Not following you here. Where is the repository? How should I submit patches?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 01:01:18PM +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> > Are the 'normal' permissions for registered savannah users enough to
> > add comments to an existing task at the task tracker? This is, can you
> > add your above suggestion there? Otherwise I'll do it.
>
> No, I can't post anything there.

That's not how I thought it would work...

> > I've created a new mercurial repository 'example-package', currently
> > empty. Maybe you like to contribute to it? For commits, corresponding
> > posts should be made for this task at the tracker.
>
> Not following you here. Where is the repository?

hg clone ssh://[hidden email]/p/octave/example-package example-package

> How should I submit patches?

Since the idea for such a package was originally yours, just commit
and push, or discuss it first at the list if you think it's
needed. I'd say the initial commit should contain everything needed
for a conforming package.

Olaf

Re: [octave-forge] information on requested contributions

Ankit
How about making a similar copy and putting it on github?

hg clone ssh://jpicarbajal@....net/p/octave/example-package example-package

I guess you meant gitlab :D www.gitlab.com

>> > No, I can't post anything there.
>>
>> That's not how I thought it would work...

Yeah, savannah not always does what's expected.

>> > Not following you here. Where is the repository?
>>
>> hg clone ssh://[hidden email]/p/octave/example-package
>> example-package

Oh, ok, I will do it. Thanks!

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:09:19PM +0530, Ankit Raj wrote:
> How about making a similar copy and putting it on github?

I don't see an advantage in that.

On 08/14/2017 07:35 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 01:01:18PM +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>> Are the 'normal' permissions for registered savannah users enough to
>>> add comments to an existing task at the task tracker? This is, can you
>>> add your above suggestion there? Otherwise I'll do it.
>>
>> No, I can't post anything there.
>
> That's not how I thought it would work...

Currently, only project members can post new items on the task tracker.
I think that's appropriate for the task tracker.  We don't want random
people posting tasks for the project.

Also, by default, savannah limits comments to the same set of people who
are allowed to post new items.  But this can be changed separately.  The
options are

   project members
   logged in users
   anonymous

I think this should be logged in members. but if you think it should be
anonymous, let me know why that would be a good thing.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:23:48AM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Currently, only project members can post new items on the task tracker. I
> think that's appropriate for the task tracker.  We don't want random people
> posting tasks for the project.

I think that is all right.

> Also, by default, savannah limits comments to the same set of people who are
> allowed to post new items.  But this can be changed separately.  The options
> are
>
>   project members
>   logged in users
>   anonymous
>
> I think this should be logged in members. but if you think it should be
> anonymous, let me know why that would be a good thing.
I also think it should be logged in users. Thanks for taking care
about this.

On 08/14/2017 02:44 PM, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:23:48AM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> Currently, only project members can post new items on the task tracker. I
>> think that's appropriate for the task tracker.  We don't want random people
>> posting tasks for the project.
>
> I think that is all right.
>
>> Also, by default, savannah limits comments to the same set of people who are
>> allowed to post new items.  But this can be changed separately.  The options
>> are
>>
>>    project members
>>    logged in users
>>    anonymous
>>
>> I think this should be logged in members. but if you think it should be
>> anonymous, let me know why that would be a good thing.
>
> I also think it should be logged in users. Thanks for taking care
> about this.

OK, I changed it.

jwe