octave-forge user at savannah

Olaf Till-2
Hi,

there seems to be a user 'octave-forge' at savannah, to which tracker
items can be assigned.

Can this user name somehow be used by an OF administrator to manage
tracker items?

I thought of applying Octaves task tracker to maintain a list of
general OF issues where an effort is needed. But without the
applicable administration rights at the tracker this isn't acceptable.

Olaf

Re: octave-forge user at savannah

On 08/11/2017 02:20 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there seems to be a user 'octave-forge' at savannah, to which tracker
> items can be assigned.

I think what you are seeing is a "squad" not an individual user.
Looking at the octave-forge squad, I see that it actually has no
members.  I don't remember setting it up, though I may have.

> Can this user name somehow be used by an OF administrator to manage
> tracker items?

I think the purpose of squads is to allow items to be assigned to a
group of users rather than just one.

> I thought of applying Octaves task tracker to maintain a list of
> general OF issues where an effort is needed. But without the
> applicable administration rights at the tracker this isn't acceptable.

I can give you additional privileges to manage the tracker if you need them.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 09:05:46AM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 08/11/2017 02:20 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
> >I thought of applying Octaves task tracker to maintain a list of
> >general OF issues where an effort is needed. But without the
> >applicable administration rights at the tracker this isn't acceptable.
>
> I can give you additional privileges to manage the tracker if you need them.

Thanks, adding a first task and assigning it to the octave-forge
'squad' has worked for me.

My idea in using the task tracker this way was to rely on the text of
the posts to see to which OF member the task will be assigned.

Olaf

Re: octave-forge user at savannah

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> My idea in using the task tracker this way was to rely on the text of
> the posts to see to which OF member the task will be assigned.
>
> Olaf

Maybe off-topic, but how can I be added to the OF squad? I have a savannah user
https://savannah.gnu.org/users/juanpi

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 03:10:59AM +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> Maybe off-topic, but how can I be added to the OF squad?

Currently, only the name of this squad is used, to tag entries in the
task manager as to belong to Octave Forge...

Olaf

Re: octave-forge user at savannah

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> Currently, only the name of this squad is used, to tag entries in the
> task manager as to belong to Octave Forge...

That means that you wont' be able to assign issues to me then, because
I think savannah access is linked to push permission in the octave
repo.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 01:15:27PM +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> > Currently, only the name of this squad is used, to tag entries in the
> > task manager as to belong to Octave Forge...
> >
> That means that you wont' be able to assign issues to me then, because
> I think savannah access is linked to push permission in the octave
> repo.

As I understand it, being a member of the (currently empty)
'octave-forge' squad would also be linked to push permissions in the
Octave repo, if this squad were set to 'active' (it currently seems to
be set to 'inactive'). And I don't think that I could formally assign
to members of this squad.

Yes, it's not perfect, but maybe it'll work. I'll note within the
posts who is currently working on what.

Olaf

Re: octave-forge user at savannah

Carnë Draug
On 12 August 2017 at 20:33, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> My idea in using the task tracker this way was to rely on the text of
> the posts to see to which OF member the task will be assigned.
>
> Olaf

Not sure if that is necessary, and may actually just add noise due to
the increase of email notifications.  Note that even within Octave
core devs, who can assign and be assigned tasks and have bug and
patches assigned to them, assigning is not used.

Carnë