octave-htmldoc

R M

octave-htmldoc

R M
Hi,

I have installed Octave  on Trusty Tahr. Later I installed octave-htmldoc.

But the help is not appearing in Octave GUI Documentation tab.

Can you please help me in this regards ?

Regards,
RM

Re: octave-htmldoc

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:16 AM, R M <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have installed Octave  on Trusty Tahr. Later I installed octave-htmldoc.

But the help is not appearing in Octave GUI Documentation tab.

Can you please help me in this regards ?

Regards,
RM

How did you install Octave?

--
DASCertificate for 206392

R M

Re: octave-htmldoc

R M

>> How did you install Octave?

I installed it using Ubuntu Software Centre

Thanks and Regards,
RM

Re: octave-htmldoc

Mike Miller
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 15:46:50 +0530, R M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Octave  on Trusty Tahr. Later I installed octave-htmldoc.
>
> But the help is not appearing in Octave GUI Documentation tab.
>
> Can you please help me in this regards ?

Try installing the package `octave-info` and restart Octave.

HTH,

R M

Re: octave-htmldoc

R M
>> Try installing the package `octave-info` and restart Octave.

Thanks. It worked. But what did I install by installing octave-htmldoc.

Regards,
RM

Re: octave-htmldoc

Mike Miller
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 22:04:21 +0530, R M wrote:
> >> Try installing the package `octave-info` and restart Octave.
>
> Thanks. It worked. But what did I install by installing octave-htmldoc.

Try `dpkg -L octave-htmldoc`. It installed the same Octave manual in
HTML format so you can view it with a web browser if you like. But that
format is not used by the Octave program.

Cheers,

Re: octave-htmldoc

Andreas Weber-4
Am 13.02.2015 um 17:34 schrieb R M:
>>> Try installing the package `octave-info` and restart Octave.
>
> Thanks. It worked. But what did I install by installing octave-htmldoc.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/all/octave-htmldoc/filelist
This installs the HTML docs which can be viewed with a browser. The GUI
apparently uses the info pages. -- Andy

Re: octave-htmldoc

Santiago Higuera-2
El 13/02/15 a las 17:39, Mike Miller escribió:

>> Thanks. It worked. But what did I install by installing octave-htmldoc.
>
> Try `dpkg -L octave-htmldoc`. It installed the same Octave manual in
> HTML format so you can view it with a web browser if you like. But that
> format is not used by the Octave program.
>
> Cheers,

Try this:

sudo apt-get install octave-info
sudo gunzip /usr/share/info/octave.info*

Re: octave-htmldoc

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 20:29 +0100, shiguera wrote:
> sudo gunzip /usr/share/info/octave.info*

I don't think that there is any reason to do this. This would also
break and confuse the apt system.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: octave-htmldoc

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear Jordi,
maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave info system
work again, specifically if you are using the octave gui.

This is a bug that exists since quite a while (basically since the new gui is
available) - but it is far beyond my capabilities to fix this, I cannot offer
more than testing.

With gzipped info files octave gui is freezing for reasons I do not know,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \
                 /\_/\           |
                | ~x~ |/-----\   /
                 \   /-       \_/
  ^^__   _        /  _  ____   /
 <°°__ \- \_/     |  |/    |  |
  ||  ||         _| _|    _| _|

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

Re: octave-htmldoc

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 19:14 +0100, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave
> info system work again, specifically if you are using the octave
> gui.

Then this is a Debian packaging bug. They should not be providing
texinfo files that Octave itself can't read. Please report this bug to
Debian.

We should also patch the Octave GUI to be able to read compress
texinfo files. I thought it already did. This is an Octave bug. Please
report it to us.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: octave-htmldoc

Mike Miller
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:02:35 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 19:14 +0100, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
>> maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave
>> info system work again, specifically if you are using the octave
>> gui.
>
> Then this is a Debian packaging bug. They should not be providing
> texinfo files that Octave itself can't read. Please report this bug to
> Debian.

This has been fixed since Debian version 3.8.2-3. This version is
available in both Debian and Ubuntu, but not Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10.
Please report an Ubuntu bug actually, if you want this fix backported
to one of those Ubuntu versions (and I'll probably be the one to
respond).

> We should also patch the Octave GUI to be able to read compress
> texinfo files. I thought it already did. This is an Octave bug. Please
> report it to us.

Yes, this would be nice to fix for the upcoming 4.0 release. I am not
sure if it already has been fixed or not, but there was definitely an
open bug report about it.

Re: octave-htmldoc

Christian T. Steigies
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 03:02:35PM -0500, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 19:14 +0100, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> > maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave
> > info system work again, specifically if you are using the octave
> > gui.
>
> Then this is a Debian packaging bug. They should not be providing
> texinfo files that Octave itself can't read. Please report this bug to
> Debian.

On debian/testing I have this:
octave (3.8.2-3) unstable; urgency=medium

  [ Rafael Laboissiere ]
  * d/rules: Do not compress info files, avoiding the freeze of Octave GUI
    (Closes: #762078)

Maybe you dont't use the latest version?

Christian

Re: octave-htmldoc

Torsten-2
On 20.02.2015 21:21, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:02:35 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 19:14 +0100, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
>>> maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave
>>> info system work again, specifically if you are using the octave
>>> gui.
>>
>> Then this is a Debian packaging bug. They should not be providing
>> texinfo files that Octave itself can't read. Please report this bug to
>> Debian.
>
> This has been fixed since Debian version 3.8.2-3. This version is
> available in both Debian and Ubuntu, but not Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10.
> Please report an Ubuntu bug actually, if you want this fix backported
> to one of those Ubuntu versions (and I'll probably be the one to
> respond).
>
>> We should also patch the Octave GUI to be able to read compress
>> texinfo files. I thought it already did. This is an Octave bug. Please
>> report it to us.
>
> Yes, this would be nice to fix for the upcoming 4.0 release. I am not
> sure if it already has been fixed or not, but there was definitely an
> open bug report about it.

This is octave bug #38305 (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38305). I have
submitted a patch that replaces the use of QProcess for the unzipping
process with an approach based on popen.

Torsten

Re: octave-htmldoc

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Sorry folks, if I was not precise enough. I intended to say nothing but that
the info system for gzipped files is broken - and apparently still is with
current distributions.
IMHO it is a valid question whether a distributor ought to modify it's
distribution due to a bug in a application or vice versa. I think it ought to
be vice versa because modifying this for a single application is causing
inconsistencies.
I cannot talk about debian specifically - I know about openSUSE, and in
openSUSE one needs to manually unpack the info files to prevent octave gui
from freezing.
Anyway, thank you for looking into this,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \
                 /\_/\           |
                | ~x~ |/-----\   /
                 \   /-       \_/
  ^^__   _        /  _  ____   /
 <°°__ \- \_/     |  |/    |  |
  ||  ||         _| _|    _| _|

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

Re: octave-htmldoc

lukshuntim
On Saturday, February 21, 2015 04:21 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:02:35 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 19:14 +0100, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
>>> maybe this would break the apt - system, but would make the octave
>>> info system work again, specifically if you are using the octave
>>> gui.
>>
>> Then this is a Debian packaging bug. They should not be providing
>> texinfo files that Octave itself can't read. Please report this bug to
>> Debian.
>
> This has been fixed since Debian version 3.8.2-3. This version is
> available in both Debian and Ubuntu, but not Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10.
> Please report an Ubuntu bug actually, if you want this fix backported
> to one of those Ubuntu versions (and I'll probably be the one to
> respond).

Bug report submitted.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/octave/+bug/1424157

Regards,
ST

Re: octave-htmldoc

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Hi folks,
I integrated the suggested patch into the current octave package from openSUSE
- it is working like a charm, no more crashes due to the gzipped info files.
Thanks a lot,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \