octave is unable to load builtin function gamma

octave is unable to load builtin function gamma

Hans-Ulrich Menzebach
Hello,
playing around with the PLS toolbox from Barry M. Wise written for
MATLAB, I noticed that my version of octave lacks a working gamma function.
lgamma is not working either.

My system is a linux box and octave is the 1.1.1 binary from
ftp.che.utexas.edu .

Any way to make gamma () available or to emulate it ?

Thanks for any help,

+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Hans-Ulrich Menzebach | eMail :  [hidden email]   |
+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+
|         Institut fuer theoret. und physikalische Chemie          |
|                     Universitaet Essen, Germany                  |

octave is unable to load builtin function gamma

Francesco Potorti`-7
I tried with octave 1.1.1 compiled for the aplha and it works.
--
            Francesco Potorti` | [hidden email] (Internet)
                          | 39369::pot (DECnet)
                                | +39-50-593203 (voice) 589354(fax)

Re: octave is unable to load builtin function gamma

Vinayak Dutt
#
#My system is a linux box and octave is the 1.1.1 binary from
#ftp.che.utexas.edu .
#
#Any way to make gamma () available or to emulate it ?
#

The configuration script for octave checks if the Unix version that you have has a builtin
gamma function, like for example SunOS has. If the systems does not have a builtin
gamma function, then it uses one from slatec Fortran library which is built into libcruft.

So in either case, gamma function should be available, otherwise you would end up with
undefined lgamma(), and the linking would have failed.

To me it looks like the linux version to which the binary on ftp.che.utexas.edu was compiled
to is different from what you might be having. It seems that the version that you have is
lacking a bulitin lgamma() and the precompiled bnary was compiled on linux with
bultin lgamma(). I am not a linux user, so this is pure  speculation on my part.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * graduate student, ultrasound research