octave mode

Octave Dummy
Perhaps wrong place to post, if so apology
I just re-installed emacs, noting many posts saying emacs already has octave mode, but now octave mode missing many features of previous octave mode, fo instance function definition and many other blocks.
Is this only me?

Re: octave mode

Alberto Luaces
Octave Dummy writes:

> Perhaps wrong place to post, if so apology
> I just re-installed emacs, noting many posts saying emacs already has
> octave mode, but now octave mode missing many features of previous
> octave mode, fo instance function definition and many other blocks.
> Is this only me?

At least mine has function definitions.  I am using emacs version 25.1.1.

--
Alberto

Re: octave mode

Colin Macdonald-2
On 16/12/16 09:35, Alberto Luaces wrote:
> Octave Dummy writes:
>
>> Perhaps wrong place to post, if so apology
>> I just re-installed emacs, noting many posts saying emacs already has
>> octave mode, but now octave mode missing many features of previous
>> octave mode, fo instance function definition and many other blocks.
>> Is this only me?
>
> At least mine has function definitions.  I am using emacs version 25.1.1.

My Emacs (also 25.1.1) always opens .m files in "ObjC/l" mode.  I've
never taken the time to train it to default to Octave; instead I press
"meta-x octave-mode" every time...  maybe this is the OPs issue too?

One-line fix for .emacs file most welcome :-)

Colin

Re: octave mode

Colin Macdonald-2
On 16/12/16 10:28, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> My Emacs (also 25.1.1) always opens .m files in "ObjC/l" mode.  I've
> never taken the time to train it to default to Octave; instead I press
> "meta-x octave-mode" every time...  maybe this is the OPs issue too?
>
> One-line fix for .emacs file most welcome :-)

Replying to myself: putting this in my ${HOME}/.emacs file fixed it:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.m$" . octave-mode))

src:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14941995/emacs-change-file-extension-mode-association

Colin