octave on Linux

Control Systems Group
I currently run octave 1.1.1 on slackware 2.3 distribution of Linux. It is
great. I am considering updating my Linux box. I have the  Info Magic 6 cd
sets which contain  slackware 3.0, Red Hat 3.0.3 (picasso) Debian 0.93 R6
etc. I understand these are all ELF distributions. Has anybody had any
experience with those distributions? The most used applications are Octave,
and Latex for me. I heard that the slackware 3.0 Ntex distribustion is broke
( could be fixed thought), so I am wondering which way to go.

Guoqiang Lu

Re: octave on Linux

Jim Van Zandt

>I currently run octave 1.1.1 on slackware 2.3 distribution of
>Linux. It is great. I am considering updating my Linux box. I have the
>Info Magic 6 cd sets which contain slackware 3.0, Red Hat 3.0.3
>(picasso) Debian 0.93 R6 etc. I understand these are all ELF
>distributions. Has anybody had any experience with those
>distributions? The most used applications are Octave, and Latex for
>me. I heard that the slackware 3.0 Ntex distribustion is broke ( could
>be fixed thought), so I am wondering which way to go.

I'm running Slackware 3.0 on two of my systems, and am happy with it.
Note that Slackware 3.1 has just been released, so you may want to
wait for the August '96 version of Infomagic's "Developer's Resource"
CDROM set.  It will also have a more recent Debian release.  (Check
www.infomagic.com.)

                            - Jim Van Zandt