package contribution

Wang S
Dear all,

I'd like to contribute package to OctaveForge, and I'm following the instructions at
http://octave.sf.net/developers.html

My SourceForge account username is "wangshuo".

I'm an electronic engineer and I plan to contribute package(s) about Electromagnetic field (EMF).
Now a first version of one package is completed, and has been run on Debian 7 wheezy (Octave 3.6.2) and Debian unstable jessie/sid (Octave 3.6.4).
I mainly follow the code style mentioned in The Octave manual.
The codes are available on http://sf.net/p/octave-emf/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/ ,
and I'd like to contribute it to OctaveForge's extra/ subdirectory.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Wang S

Re: package contribution

c.-2
On 20 Dec 2013, at 03:36, Wang S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to contribute package to OctaveForge, and I'm following the instructions at
> http://octave.sf.net/developers.html
>
> My SourceForge account username is "wangshuo".
>
> I'm an electronic engineer and I plan to contribute package(s) about Electromagnetic field (EMF).
> Now a first version of one package is completed, and has been run on Debian 7 wheezy (Octave 3.6.2) and Debian unstable jessie/sid (Octave 3.6.4).
> I mainly follow the code style mentioned in The Octave manual.
> The codes are available on http://sf.net/p/octave-emf/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/ ,
> and I'd like to contribute it to OctaveForge's extra/ subdirectory.
>
> Thank you,
> Best regards,
> Wang S

Wang,

Thank you very much for proposing this contribution,
the subdivision into extra/ and main/ subdirs is not
very much relevant anymore though, and I guess Carnë
will suggest that you use mercurial instead of subversion
for this new package.

Is this a problem for you? Do you know mercurial?

Sebastian,

As you know about both OF packages and EMF simulations,
maybe you could help reviewing Wang's code? I know you
have your own EMF package, do you think the two could
be merged somehow?

c.

Re: package contribution

Wang S
Dear Carlo,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes, I know mercurial.
currently I only know basic usage of svn, git and mercurial, though I have used Octave for several years. I'm continuing learning the version-control tools.

I developed this package because my work need it but I could not find an existing Octave package on electromagnetic circuit/field simulation that fits my work.
What is the EMF Octave package name developed by Sebastian? If it can satisfy my work as well, I'll use it :)

Best regards,
Wang S

From:  "c."<[hidden email]>;
Date:  Fri, Dec 20, 2013 05:45 PM
To:  "Wang S"<[hidden email]>;
Cc:  "octave-maintainers"<[hidden email]>; "Sebastian Schöp"<[hidden email]>; "Carn  Draug"<[hidden email]>;
Subject:  Re: package contribution

On 20 Dec 2013, at 03:36, Wang S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to contribute package to OctaveForge, and I'm following the instructions at
> http://octave.sf.net/developers.html
>
> My SourceForge account username is "wangshuo".
>
> I'm an electronic engineer and I plan to contribute package(s) about Electromagnetic field (EMF).
> Now a first version of one package is completed, and has been run on Debian 7 wheezy (Octave 3.6.2) and Debian unstable jessie/sid (Octave 3.6.4).
> I mainly follow the code style mentioned in The Octave manual.
> The codes are available on http://sf.net/p/octave-emf/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/ ,
> and I'd like to contribute it to OctaveForge's extra/ subdirectory.
>
> Thank you,
> Best regards,
> Wang S

Wang,

Thank you very much for proposing this contribution,
the subdivision into extra/ and main/ subdirs is not
very much relevant anymore though, and I guess Carn
will suggest that you use mercurial instead of subversion
for this new package.

Is this a problem for you? Do you know mercurial?

Sebastian,

As you know about both OF packages and EMF simulations,
maybe you could help reviewing Wang's code? I know you
have your own EMF package, do you think the two could
be merged somehow?

c.

Re: package contribution

c.-2

On 20 Dec 2013, at 12:22, Wang S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Carlo,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> Yes, I know mercurial.
> currently I only know basic usage of svn, git and mercurial, though I have used Octave for several years. I'm continuing learning the version-control tools.
>
> I developed this package because my work need it but I could not find an existing Octave package on electromagnetic circuit/field simulation that fits my work.
> What is the EMF Octave package name developed by Sebastian? If it can satisfy my work as well, I'll use it :)
>
> Best regards,
> Wang S

If you are interested in coupling of electrical circuits and EM fields you might want to discuss more with Sebastian as that was the topic of his PhD.
I guess he is already on holidays, though, as I got an away message before when i CC-d him to the previous message ...
In the meantime you can have a look at his slides for the latest Octave Conference:

http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2013#FEM_mash-up_and_Octave

c.

Re: package contribution

Sebastian Schöps-3
Hey guys,

indeed I am on holidays, hence I only give short feedback. There will be relaunch (official 1.0 release) of my field/circuit package in jan or feb 2014. The current name is "fides" (https://bitbucket.org/schoeps/fides), the new name will be "niobe".

The functionality of "emf" seems not to be present in fides/niobe. I would really appreciate to include it. Let's talk about this next year, ok?

Bye
Sebastian

From: "c."<[hidden email]>;
Date: Fri, Dec 20, 2013 05:45 PM
To: "Wang S"<[hidden email]>;
Cc: "octave-maintainers"<[hidden email]>; "Sebastian Schöp"<[hidden email]>; "Carn Draug"<[hidden email]>;

[...]

I suppose while the topic is being discussed i might as well mention the interface to Qucs which is under development. It now works in both a synchronous and asynchronous mode. You can find examples in the qucs_namespace branch of the Qucs git repo. You can obtain the node voltages and branch currents at each step, but can't yet change circuit elements, and doesn't quite work from Octave (even dev versions) because of a small missing piece of classdef functionality.

Actually Sebastien and I have had some contact pivately about this, and maybe there can be some collaboration between all of us in the new year.

Richard
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: package contribution

Wang S
Dear all,

Glad to receive Carlo's, Sebastian's and Richard's emails, and I'll have a look at Sebastian's slides and the fides/niode.

I think my package may be quite narrow and simple, compared to fides.
So it's my luck if it could be either merged to fides/niode or as an independent package in OctaveForge,
and if it is too narrow or simple to be into OctaveForge package, just leave it alone on sf.net :)

By the way, I'm sorry that I encountered a serious network connection problem in my place
and as a result I would be not able to receive or send an email for most time ...
Therefore, I wonder whether there is any suggestion for an "occasional" contributor, or whether I am suitable to be in the mailing list any longer ?

Thank you,
Best regard,
Wang S

From:  "c."<[hidden email]>;
Date:  Fri, Dec 20, 2013 07:49 PM
To:  "Wang S"<[hidden email]>;
Cc:  "octave-maintainers"<[hidden email]>; "Sebastian Schöp"<[hidden email]>; "Carn Draug"<[hidden email]>;

On 20 Dec 2013, at 12:22, Wang S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Carlo,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> Yes, I know mercurial.
> currently I only know basic usage of svn, git and mercurial, though I have used Octave for several years. I'm continuing learning the version-control tools.
>
> I developed this package because my work need it but I could not find an existing Octave package on electromagnetic circuit/field simulation that fits my work.
> What is the EMF Octave package name developed by Sebastian? If it can satisfy my work as well, I'll use it :)
>
> Best regards,
> Wang S

If you are interested in coupling of electrical circuits and EM fields you might want to discuss more with Sebastian as that was the topic of his PhD.
I guess he is already on holidays, though, as I got an away message before when i CC-d him to the previous message ...
In the meantime you can have a look at his slides for the latest Octave Conference:

http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2013#FEM_mash-up_and_Octave

c.

Re: package contribution

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 10:58 +0800, Wang S wrote:

> By the way, I'm sorry that I encountered a serious network
> connection problem in my place and as a result I would be not able
> to receive or send an email for most time ... Therefore, I wonder
> whether there is any suggestion for an "occasional" contributor, or
> whether I am suitable to be in the mailing list any longer ?

You don't have to follow all of the mailing list activity to
participate in Octave development. If the volume of emails is too
large for your network connection, you can use a frontend like gmane
to follow along:

    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers

- Jordi G. H.

Re: package contribution

Wang S
Hi Jordi,
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Best Regard,
Wang S

From:  "Jordi Gutiérre Hermoso"<[hidden email]>;
Date:  Mon, Jan 6, 2014 00:28 AM