package maintainers please choose a package group

123

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Carlo De Falco
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 13 Mar 2017, at 18:23, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear package maintainers,
>>
>> please choose one of the two groups:
>>
>> https://octave.sourceforge.io/dev-descr-two-groups.php
>>
>> for your packages. The group will be indicated at the packages page
>> for each package.
>>
>> With the information we have so far, the packages listed below have
>> been preliminarily assigned to the "community" group.
>>
>> Olaf
>>
>> suggested community packages:
>>
>> bim
>> cgi
>> communications
>> control
>> data-smoothing
>> database
>> dataframe
>> dicom
>> econometrics
>> fem-fenics
>> financial
>> fpl
>> fuzzy-logic-toolkit
>> ga
>> general
>> generate_html
>> geometry
>> gsl
>> image
>> image-acquisition
>> instrument-control
>> interval
>> io
>> level-set
>> linear-algebra
>> lssa
>> mapping
>> miscellaneous
>> mpi
>> msh
>> mvn
>> nurbs
>> ocs
>> optics
>> optim
>> parallel
>> quaternion
>> queueing
>> secs1d
>> secs2d
>> secs3d
>> signal
>> sockets
>> splines
>> statistics
>> strings
>> struct
>> vibes
>> video
>> vrml
>> windows
>> zeromq
>>
>> --
>> public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
>

> Hi,
>
> The recipient list of this email is incomplete, apart from myself, at least the maintainer of fem-fenics is missing
> (but that's just the first one I noticed, there may be others).
>
> Not all package maintainers regularly check posts from the mailing list so I would recomend forwarding the message to them directly.
>
> c.

Hi Olaf,
I was assuming that you wanted to hear only negative answers (the case
that needs work). But if you also want ot check who is getting the
mails, then:

It is ok to leave geometry as a community package.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Olaf Till-2
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:11:56AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
> The recipient list of this email is incomplete, apart from myself,
> at least the maintainer of fem-fenics is missing (but that's just
> the first one I noticed, there may be others).
>
> Not all package maintainers regularly check posts from the mailing
> list so I would recomend forwarding the message to them directly.

I can't CC _all_ package maintainers. I chose those for whom I got the
information that they might not follow the mailing list.

Olaf

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:05:42AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
> please mark all my packages as external

Which except those that are already marked external do you consider to
be _your_ packages?

Olaf

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carnë Draug
On 14 March 2017 at 09:29, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 14 Mar 2017, at 10:00, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 07:58:38AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>>> I am happy with other requirements but, as long as I am listed
>>> as the maintainer, I unfortunately cannot accept the "pushing without
>>> asking" part. Any chance you may be changing this rule?
>>
>> Maybe, but do you have an alternative suggestion?
>
> If the package has a repository on bitbucket or github one could use
> a pull request, which sounds better to me. Does sourceforge have this feature?

Yes.  You can make pull requests in sourceforce too.  They call it
merge requests.
For example https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/financial/merge-requests/?status=all

Carnë

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Julien Bect-2
Le 15/03/2017 à 12:54, Olaf Till a écrit :
Not all package maintainers regularly check posts from the mailing list so I would recommend forwarding the message to them directly.

I can't CC _all_ package maintainers. I chose those for whom I got the information that they might not follow the mailing list.

More generally, I think that we (admins) should have a simple and systematic way of reaching *all* package maintainers.

I suggest either of the following two options :

a) Ask that all package maintainers should be subscribed to the [hidden email].

b) If this list is considered to have too much traffic by some, perhaps should we create a more specific, low-traffic list, dedicated to general-purpose communications between OF admins and OF package maintainers ?

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 13:01, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:05:42AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>> please mark all my packages as external
>
> Which except those that are already marked external do you consider to
> be _your_ packages?
>
> Olaf

The following are marked as community and should be moved to external:

bim
msh
fpl
mpi
nurbs

c.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 13:54, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 15/03/2017 à 12:54, Olaf Till a écrit :
>>> Not all package maintainers regularly check posts from the mailing list so I would recommend forwarding the message to them directly.
>>
>> I can't CC _all_ package maintainers. I chose those for whom I got the information that they might not follow the mailing list.
>
> More generally, I think that we (admins) should have a simple and systematic way of reaching *all* package maintainers.
>
> I suggest either of the following two options :
>
> a) Ask that all package maintainers should be subscribed to the [hidden email].
>
> b) If this list is considered to have too much traffic by some, perhaps should we create a more specific, low-traffic list, dedicated to general-purpose communications between OF admins and OF package maintainers ?

Search the archives to see the reason why such list, that once existed, was shut down and merged to the maintainers list.

c.

Since you seem to know the answer, why don't you just tell me ?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 03:39:30PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> > On 15 Mar 2017, at 13:01, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:05:42AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
> >> please mark all my packages as external
> >
> > Which except those that are already marked external do you consider to
> > be _your_ packages?
> >
> > Olaf
>
> The following are marked as community and should be moved to external:
>
> bim
> msh
> fpl
> mpi
> nurbs
Done for bim, msh, and fpl.

For nurbs probably also ok, but what does Rafael Vazquez say to this?

For mpi, sorry, but considering the history and the importance of this
package I object to making it external. If someone in addition to you
disagrees with me we should vote, and I'll detail my objections.

Olaf

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:09, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since you seem to know the answer, why don't you just tell me ?
No, I don't remember the answer. But it was discussed a lot. I seem to remember Carnë was among those who were pushing the most for merging the lists.
c.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:13, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For mpi, sorry, but considering the history and the importance of this
> package I object to making it external. If someone in addition to you
> disagrees with me we should vote, and I'll detail my objections.

I just prepared a new release that contains essentially a complete rewrite of the main functions in the package.
If MPI is remaining in community section my "external" release is then to be considered a fork.
According to your rules, should I change the name of the package?

c.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:13, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For nurbs probably also ok, but what does Rafael Vazquez say to this?
Did you care to ask him?
c.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:23, Carlo De Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:13, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For mpi, sorry, but considering the history and the importance of this
>> package I object to making it external. If someone in addition to you
>> disagrees with me we should vote, and I'll detail my objections.
>>

> I just prepared a new release that contains essentially a complete rewrite of the main functions in the package.
> If MPI is remaining in community section my "external" release is then to be considered a fork.
> According to your rules, should I change the name of the package?

In any case I'm giving up the maintainace of the "community" version of MPI
(which I had been the only contributor of since 2010, BTW).

Please remove my name in the DESCRIPTION and replace it with a new volunteer.

c.

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Michele Martone-4
On 20170313@18:23, Olaf Till wrote:

> Dear package maintainers,
>
> please choose one of the two groups:
>
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/dev-descr-two-groups.php
>
> for your packages. The group will be indicated at the packages page
> for each package.
>
> With the information we have so far, the packages listed below have
> been preliminarily assigned to the "community" group.
>
> Olaf
>
> suggested community packages:
Hi Olaf,

assuming the definition as in the link above (and attached, for future
memory), then please

   "community" group for sparsersb.

Reason: I am happy if as many packages as possible might profit out of
sparsersb (= almost whenever large/symmetric sparse matrices are being
multiplied, "sparse" shall be interchangeable with "sparsersb"),
and I would patch it to round off problems.

I hope to have understood the spirit behind this...

Michele

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 07:08:58PM +0100, Michele Martone wrote:

> On 20170313@18:23, Olaf Till wrote:
> > Dear package maintainers,
> >
> > please choose one of the two groups:
> >
> > https://octave.sourceforge.io/dev-descr-two-groups.php
> >
> > for your packages. The group will be indicated at the packages page
> > for each package.
> >
> > With the information we have so far, the packages listed below have
> > been preliminarily assigned to the "community" group.
> >
> > Olaf
> >
> > suggested community packages:
>
> Hi Olaf,
>
> assuming the definition as in the link above (and attached, for future
> memory), then please
>
>    "community" group for sparsersb.
>
> Reason: I am happy if as many packages as possible might profit out of
> sparsersb (= almost whenever large/symmetric sparse matrices are being
> multiplied, "sparse" shall be interchangeable with "sparsersb"),
> and I would patch it to round off problems.
>
> I hope to have understood the spirit behind this...
>
> Michele
Done, thanks. Olaf

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 04:25:19PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> > On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:13, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For nurbs probably also ok, but what does Rafael Vazquez say to this?
> Did you care to ask him?
> c.

As you like. I've forwarded my previous mail now to
[hidden email], the only e-mail address I've got from him.

Olaf

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 20:18, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As you like. I've forwarded my previous mail now to
> [hidden email], the only e-mail address I've got from him.
>
> Olaf

I asked at a more current adress, and he agrees.
But you could have probably asked in person next week ;)
c.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 04:23:38PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> > On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:13, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For mpi, sorry, but considering the history and the importance of this
> > package I object to making it external. If someone in addition to you
> > disagrees with me we should vote, and I'll detail my objections.
> >

> I just prepared a new release that contains essentially a complete
> rewrite of the main functions in the package.
If you'd like to contest my objection to make it external we can vote,
given that at least one supporter of yours speaks up to indicate that
the vote is necessary. I'd only like to put this off till after
OctConf.

> If MPI is remaining in community section my "external" release is
> then to be considered a fork.  According to your rules, should I
> change the name of the package?

There are no rules imposed on you for this situation.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 05:51:23PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
> In any case I'm giving up the maintainace of the "community" version of MPI
> (which I had been the only contributor of since 2010, BTW).
>
> Please remove my name in the DESCRIPTION and replace it with a new volunteer.

This is sad, in our off-list discussion on the package I had the
impression that you are interested in development with a common
effort.

But ok.

Olaf

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 07:19:50PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> > On 15 Mar 2017, at 20:18, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As you like. I've forwarded my previous mail now to
> > [hidden email], the only e-mail address I've got from him.
> >
> > Olaf
>
> I asked at a more current adress, and he agrees.

So nurbs is set to external now.

Olaf

Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 20:33, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just prepared a new release that contains essentially a complete
>> rewrite of the main functions in the package.
>
> If you'd like to contest my objection to make it external we can vote,
> given that at least one supporter of yours speaks up to indicate that
> the vote is necessary. I'd only like to put this off till after
> OctConf.

I don't care to contest, I'm just moving development elsewhere.

>> Please remove my name in the DESCRIPTION and replace it with a new volunteer.
>
> This is sad, in our off-list discussion on the package I had the
> impression that you are interested in development with a common
> effort.

I still am interested, all my packages are free software.
It's just not going to happen in that repository.

c.

123